Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1500 Point Grey Knights Army List (New to GKs)

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  inqusitor magneto 
#1 ·
I've decided to start playing Grey Knights, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my Army plan, as I currently have no actual Idea as to how effectively this list would work :)

HQ
100 Points- Inquisitor Coteaz

Elites
145 Points- Vindicare Assasin

165 Points- Purifier Squad( 2x Psycannons, Razorback)

Troops
135 Points- Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband( Crusader, Death Cult assasin, Inquisitorial Servitor w/ Plasma Cannon, 5 Warrior Acolytes w/ Boltguns, Inquisitorial Chimera)

97 Points- Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband(10 Warrior Acolytes, Storm bolters, 1 Inquisitorial servitor w/ Plasma Cannon)

275 Points- Grey Knight Strike Squad(Rhino, 2 Force Halberds, +5 Grey Knights, 2 Psycannons)

225 Points- Grey Knight Terminator Squad( Psycannon, 3 with Halberds, 2 with Daemon Hammers)

Fast Attack
220 Points- Storm Raven Gunship( TL Lascannons, Teleport Homer)

Heavy Support
135 Points- Dreadnought(2x TL autocannons, Psybolt ammuntion)

Total: 1497 Points

Any help is appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
i haven't really played with henchman before so i cant help you with that but there is something i want to ask you.
looking at the list you take a teleport homer for your SRG who in your army is going to deepstrike near the SRG? since if you want your terminators to do that they can also start in the SRG.

and i see you chose to have 2 troops with inquisitorial servitors in them. they have mindlock if there is no inquisitor present, so 1 of those troops is going to be standing still for half of the turns. if that is intended no problem, but i think that is not what you plan to do with those points.

#4 · (Edited)
I was planning to Teleport my Terminators next to the SRG as I was planning on having the SRG carry in a dreadnought, and having all those units in one target would be too risky.

I am aware of the mindlock problem, I realised it and thought I had rectified it before posting this, guess I didn't.

hmmm if you spent pts on a homer just use it lol 225 SS with 2 pyscannons & 1 halberd, drop the hammers. u have enough dakka on the feild to deal with heavy armour. drop razor back as you will be DS in.

for henchmen crusaders and DCA are the way to go, anything else is kinda a waste in my opinion and ratio of success goes down. you can throw them into the storm raven or a chimera. also if you are taking coteaz then add more henchmen squads. You should utilize the characters abilities to highest ratio. otherwise just take a regular inquisitor if you only want 1 dangerous henchmen squad. looks like you have 1.5 henchmen squads. Just a simple observation.

Coteaz or inquisitor with purifiers. give purifiers halberd as they are 2 pts each. drop extra gear and vehicles to 225 and you have more pts for purifiers.

The raven i would rather have the assualt cannon and multi melta they are both twin linked and well it gives you a higher ratio of fire from rhinos to monaliths. i would rather have a person have to roll more then one dice to stop my penetrating hits ya know.
I'm not entirely sure what you are saying. Could you rephrase it? I am not aware that purifiers can deepstrike, hence the Razorback. Also, my SS has no hammers in it.

#3 ·
hmmm if you spent pts on a homer just use it lol 225 SS with 2 pyscannons & 1 halberd, drop the hammers. u have enough dakka on the feild to deal with heavy armour. drop razor back as you will be DS in.

for henchmen crusaders and DCA are the way to go, anything else is kinda a waste in my opinion and ratio of success goes down. you can throw them into the storm raven or a chimera. also if you are taking coteaz then add more henchmen squads. You should utilize the characters abilities to highest ratio. otherwise just take a regular inquisitor if you only want 1 dangerous henchmen squad. looks like you have 1.5 henchmen squads. Just a simple observation.

Coteaz or inquisitor with purifiers. give purifiers halberd as they are 2 pts each. drop extra gear and vehicles to 225 and you have more pts for purifiers.

The raven i would rather have the assualt cannon and multi melta they are both twin linked and well it gives you a higher ratio of fire from rhinos to monaliths. i would rather have a person have to roll more then one dice to stop my penetrating hits ya know.

#6 ·
The points value for the Purifier squad is off, by my count. A word of warning: the Vindicare is boss, but all he needs to do is hit once, and he tends become Target number one. (Earlier than that, if your opponent has any prior experience with him) Case in point, my first game with one, he dropped two Ravagers in his first two turns. The third turn, he was blasted point-blank by a group of blaster-armed Trueborns who had apparently taken exception. The Vindicare can be rewarding, but requires careful usage and strategy to survive more than a few turns intact.

#7 ·
Azezael said:
I'll try to give you a list with some improvements i've seen you can make:

HQ
100 Points- Inquisitor Coteaz

OK here, nothing to say about him.

Elites
145 Points- Vindicare Assasin

Same as Coteaz.

165 Points- Purifier Squad( 2x Psycannons, Razorback)

This is wrong. The correct value is 145 (purifiers) + 45 (razorback) = 190 points

Troops
135 Points- Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband( Crusader, Death Cult assasin, Inquisitorial Servitor w/ Plasma Cannon, 5 Warrior Acolytes w/ Boltguns, Inquisitorial Chimera)

97 Points- Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband(10 Warrior Acolytes, Storm bolters, 1 Inquisitorial servitor w/ Plasma Cannon)

I don't know what you're planning with Coteaz but you must always keep together Inquisitorial Servitors.

275 Points- Grey Knight Strike Squad(Rhino, 2 Force Halberds, +5 Grey Knights, 2 Psycannons)

Psybolts are a cheap and really useful upgrade for them. For me, it's a must-have but up to you.

225 Points- Grey Knight Terminator Squad( Psycannon, 3 with Halberds, 2 with Daemon Hammers)

Nice here but i prefer 10-men squads, more powerful and attracts firepower so other "weaker units" survives more time.

Fast Attack
220 Points- Storm Raven Gunship( TL Lascannons, Teleport Homer)

Very alone

Heavy Support
135 Points- Dreadnought(2x TL autocannons, Psybolt ammuntion)

OK here, you need him on the table for giving love to everyone.

Total: 1497 Points

Any help is appreciated!
The list i will use if i were you:

Grand Inquisitor Coteaz --> 100 points

Keep him with the big Inquisitorial Squad.

Vindicare Assassin --> 145 points

A sniper is a sniper, place him well and kill stuff.

5 Purifiers: 2 with psycannons, Justicar with halberd, 1 with halberd, 1 with Hammer --> 149 points
Transport: Rhino with Dozerblade --> 45 points

A cheap and good close combat unit. Also for shooting, try to combine his assault with Terminators and you can defeat everyone.

Inquisitorial Retinue: 3 Inquisitorial Servitors with Multi-Melta, 2 Jokaeros, 6 Acolytes --> 124 points
Transport: Chimera with Multi-Laser and Heavy Bolter --> 55 points

I'll recommend putting here Coteaz so you can max his rules and the people of his squad.

Inquisitorial Retinue: 3 Acolytes --> 12 points

Small and cheap scoring unit. Keep it in reserve and grab an objective in the last turn. Don't forget to hide them well.

10 Grey Knight Terminators: Justicar Thawn, 2 with Psycannons, Brotherhood Standard, Psybolts, 2 with Hammers, Rest with Halberds --> 570 points

I can tell you that this unit will rock 99% of the units the enemy has and in this army you need a unit like that.

5 Purgators: Justicar with MC Hammer and Teleport Homer, 4 with Incinerators --> 110 points
Transport: Razorback with Psybolts and Dozerblade --> 55 points

4 cheap and nasty templates are something to worry about. Also you have a hammer for dealing with unexpected problems and a teleport homer for your terminators.

Dreadnought with 2x TL autocannons, Psybolt ammuntion --> 135 points

You all know him, nothing else to say.

Total: 1500 points
Killing Points: 11 (+1 for Thawn if it's "dead" at the end of the game)
Scoring: 3 (+1 for Thawn if it's "alive" at the end of the game)
36 Miniatures, 4 Vehicles

This list gives you a lot of options and it has something that most lists don't have: you can deal with all kind of list and enemies. :eek:k::eek:k:

#9 ·
The SR in all honesty is not for a list of 1500 list. Consider a storm raven a limo for the GK. the only unit that really benefit from it are DCA/crusaders and Purifiers but i dont see why you would do that since you can have a chimera and rhino. The main problem is that the storm raven i believe was made for ardboyz and apoc games. you can get it into a 2000 pt game but its a hard trick to pull off.

as for the vindicare. place him in a building out of sight and trust me people will forget about him all the time. make sure he fires first or second. then have everything else fire. i have played many people who forget about the guy when two events happen. they cant see him in buildings or cover or i have a crazy unit that just DS infront of them. even in my tournaments my vindicare last for 4 to 5 rounds. Another cool measure is to make sure he is painted black and put some cool cover on his model. a cool painted cloak or building part.

#11 ·
the SR has armor 12 alround but ignores melta shooting attacks.

but it is true it tends to be a prime target. I find it quite neat if i can shoot all its weapons, i always play with huricane bolters, for 1 turn and then it gets shot with everything the enemy gots usualy only imobilzing it or damaging 1 gun. and the rest of my army walks unskaved while the SRG keeps on fireing next turn(s). positioning is vital for this tactic to work.

My CSM oponent used to shoot everything he had till it was absolutly broken. but then I squished him in close combat. next time he just immobilised it and thought it was enough and its shooting costed him half his units. he just hates him :D

#12 ·
Pretty sure storm ravens are AV12 and they go down pretty quick, even with flat out cover. Everyone tends to shoot them down first and they rarely last more than a turn or two.

You might also look at taking a mystic with psychic beacon for teleport homing, he's only 10 pts in a henchman squad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.