Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Tomb Kings - 2500 Points

4K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Ratvan 
#1 · (Edited)
So this is the latest list that I plan to be running in an upcoming tournament

Liche High Priest - 280 pts (General, Death)
Level 4 Upgrade, Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Preservation

Liche High Priest - 265 pts (Heirophant, Nehekhara)
Level 4 Upgrade, Earthing Rod, Talisman of Endurance

Skeleton Archers - 152 pts
22 Skeleton Archers, Mus, Std

Skeleton Archers - 158 pts
23 Skeleton Archers, Mus, Std

Skeleton Chariots - 240 pts
4 Skeleton Chariots, Std, Banner of Eternal Flame

Skeleton Chariots- 230 pts
4 Skeleton Chariots, Mus

Tomb Scorpion - 85 pts

Tomb Scorpion - 85 pts

Necropolis Knights - 420 pts
6 Necropolis Knights, FC

Necrosphinx - 225 pts

Necrosphinx - 225 pts

Casket of Souls -135 pts

Total 2496

Basically Casket, stay back and shoot/blast away.

Scorpions emerge in opponents back line and cause havoc with warmachines, or emerge to protect mine.

Everything else rushes forwards, combi charging units ect while supported by the two archer/mage bunkers

Comments, suggestions ect encouraged

See less See more
#4 ·
That bothers me quite a bit. Then again, I'm of the mind that they actually included special characters to be used and balanced them to that affect. Heck, my TK army is based around Arkhan. If I weren't allowed to use him, I wouldn't play fantasy.

#9 ·
Then again, I'm of the mind that they actually included special characters to be used and balanced them to that affect.
LMAO....
Its fair to say I don't agree- there are a lot of good SCs out there that add character to an army or subley alter how it plays without breaking them... but there are also a huge number of SCs that are just ridiculous: among them are the changeling, caradryan, teclis and kairos

#5 ·
I know it removes much of the flavour from fantasy in my opinion, also can't really play SC's in my GW as most of the games are limited by time and therefore 1000 point battles, unless you book a table in advance.

I do use my Death Mage as Arkhan the Black in friendly games however, he's my favourite character.

It annoys me that we don't play watchtwoer either, its something different rather then line up and kill stuff

#6 ·
That's disheartening. Not the SC restriction on GW tables. I totally get that with the time restriction/point restriction though at 1000 points, you probably shouldn't have an SC anyway.

But in overall gameplay/tournaments, it seriously is a weird concept to me to restrict them/scenarios that are in the main rulebook.

#7 ·
Yeah I don't play WHFB in GW unless I can organise an opponant upfront and get a table booked in for a battle, which does attract quite a crowd but doesn't happen that often unfortunately. 1000 Points with Tomb Kings just isn't my cup of tea, I prefer my WHFB in a larger scale.

Well the LGC banned SC's mainly due to the Teclis, PG, BoTWD power build which instead of people trying to alter their lists/tactics/attitude they'd rather bitch and moan and ban the use of all SC's (which is shit as I have said above). Also players don't really understand the tactical methods of winning the Watchtower scenario (mainly players without access to unbreakable/stubborn core choices who don't ALWAYS get to start in the tower) Hell I won that scenario with Bretonnians and Tomb Kings when I didn't start in the tower, its not impossible you just need a plan and the ability to see it through and not get distracted by trying to annalilate the opponent.

Anyways back on topic, my main concern is the footprint of the Necro Knights, I was considering dropping them down to 4 with Mus and Champ and trying to fit in some carrion or something

#8 ·
Actually dropping the Knights down to 4, Mus, Champ should allow me to squeeze in a Prince with GW & Dragonhelm into the Death Priests archer bunker so I can have a slightly improved chance with spirit leach and other unmodified leadership tests...

#10 ·
High Elves - Ward
Daemons - Ward
8th - Ward

You're surprised?

You know when parents make their children listen to mozart in the cribs in the hope it makes them smarter?

Mat Ward's played Snap, "I've got the power".

Not a fan of Scorps. I find Carrion personally better, more resilient, more healable, cheaper, more reliable, and flying move with wounds, frontage, and damage output to hold up a war machine battery for a turn, two or even kill them.

Can't help but feel a Prince with GW would allow you take on Hydra's etc. I wouldn't even really risk relying on HKB on the Hydra's, as otherwise, the Hydra's can stall the Necrosphinx.

#11 ·
I've never got on well with Carrion, I find scorpions that much more useful. For some reason in fantasy people in my meta are more afriad of EbTS then they should be (and they laugh off Deep Striking in 40K, go figure?)

I got a suicide squad of flaming chariots for Hydra's (pretty much the only reason for them) my main concern is that I have no lasting power at all with the list. Once I start to crumble I'm pretty much done for. I think I'm going to attempt a TK Infantry/Shooting list with Death Magic as at the moment I'm a little lost with the Tomb Kings, might be because I'm more focussed on my 40k due to touraments and the like atm

#15 ·
I've never got on well with Carrion, I find scorpions that much more useful. For some reason in fantasy people in my meta are more afriad of EbTS then they should be (and they laugh off Deep Striking in 40K, go figure?)
Except that Carrion are exceptionally quicker, which is why. EBtS is good, but with the Flyers available (2 wound Carrion and Sphinx), as well as the faster movement of the entire game, the strength of the Scorpion from 6th has gone (Along with the easy heal and massed Incantations).

Returning to normal magic phases, the TK's can easily make their Carrion as nasty as Scorp unit, but they're also throw away units. I'm a fan of saturation targets these days - Carrion with Killing Blow, or Carrion? With 3 S4 KB attacks apiece, is your opponent going to let that go? Or is he going to keep
dispel dice aside for Smiting/Dessication/Purple Sun.

It's simply that I prefer the reliability of Carrion and Sphinx and the flexibility of flying over the *shock* of a 4 wound T5 monster hitting your artillery, like nobody ever expects to see one against TK.

I got a suicide squad of flaming chariots for Hydra's (pretty much the only reason for them) my main concern is that I have no lasting power at all with the list. Once I start to crumble I'm pretty much done for. I think I'm going to attempt a TK Infantry/Shooting list with Death Magic as at the moment I'm a little lost with the Tomb Kings, might be because I'm more focussed on my 40k due to touraments and the like atm
The intention of the Prince was to give the Chariots a bit more oomph. WS5, and Great Weapon after the flaming impact hits will allow you to break through with a bit more certainty.

#12 ·
Yeah what is with TK players that fear Emtombed Beneath the Sands yet Deep Strike like crazy in 40k? They're the same thing! Now I admit I've had bad rolls from time to time with both EBtS and Deep Strike but the benefits I find far outweigh the risks. Hell in all my 2000+ pts lists I'll bring at least one Tomb Scorpion just to have something that I can use to attack warmachines and other annoying rearline units.

#14 ·
Yeah most of my lists have two Scorpions or three Stalkers but then nowadays I tend to play in the 2.5k and up range. And it does suck when you get a bad roll and lose them but the effective use of them can dramatically swift a game. Plus I truly love watching my opponent react to something rising up from the ground behind their army. Sometimes they have just freaked out, especially if I can get to a warmachine or a wizard with them.

Carrion can be pretty useful too. In fact one time I watched four of them stall a Doomwheel for several turns while other units pounded it from afar as a nearby Liche healed them by casting the signature spell. In the end three of the birds were dead and the wheel was a pile of broken wood and metal. A very good trade off.

#16 ·
I see what you're getting at and think that it's time to re write the army as I like most of the army elements but severely dislike the chariots, I'll see about a couple horde bunkers of archers with a LHP and TP in each with a smattering of Carrion, Scorpions, SSC, Warsphinx (which means I need to sort out those infernal howdah's ect)

New list will be up this evening

#17 ·
so revisiting how does this take you?

Total Roster Cost: 2497

Liche High Priest - 240 pts
Level 4, Earthing Rod, Ironcurse Icon

Tomb Prince - 154 pts
Great Weapon, Armour of Silvered Steel, Dragonbane Gem

Tomb Prince - 169 pts
Great Weapon, Chariot, Dragonhelm

Necrotect - 80 pts
Charmed Shield, Opal Amulet

3 Skeleton Chariots - 185 pts
Std, Banner of Eternal Flame

4 Skeleton Chariots - 240 pts
Mus, Std

30 Skeleton Archers - 200 pts
Mus, Std

Khemrian Warsphinx - 230 pts
Fiery Roar

Khemrian Warsphinx - 230 pts
Fiery Roar

3 Carrion - 72 pts

3 Carrion - 72 pts

Necrosphinx - 225 pts

Necrosphinx - 225 pts

Hierotitan - 175 pts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.