Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Thoughts on the Farisght Enclave Supplement?

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Xabre 
#1 ·
What are your thoughts on this supplement, from gaming rules, to the fluff behind the army.....

How will the new signature systems, commanders and other special rules be used?

Is it as competitive as the original Tau codex? More competitive?

Will the crisis suit troops be an effective army list or just a fluffy perk to the army?

Discuss!

#4 · (Edited)
Farsight Enclave ? Tau Supplement | 3++ is the New Black

Blah, blah, Crisis Suits, blah, shitty wargear, shitty Warlord Traits. The Preferred Enemy wargear is kind of cool, I guess, 4+ to Preferred Enemy: Space Marines is nice in this MEQ saturated game, and 5+ to Preferred Enemy Imperial Guard is nice as the most popular Allies choice so far. Costing as much as a Land Speeder is way too steep though. Lack of PENchip sucks hugely, but the Earth Caste Pilot Array is wtfomg amazing for anyone wanting the whole Battlesuit army thing - making one Riptide go ubercharged is pretty amazing.

But they at least explained why Farsight's over three centuries old, and he's got a vampiric sword. That alone makes him ten times as badass.

Midnight

#5 ·
Just looking at those rules and the Iyandan rules I've seen I'm begining to question why you would bother with these supplement.

The codex for both eldar and Tau allow to take armies that fit the fluff anyway.

None of the rules or traits on that site would make me consider them as good enough to swap out from my regular tau list, lead by farsight. The named bodyguards have crazy wargear with virtually no synergy.

Moving suits is the only advantage, but with mech-tau their not essential

#7 ·
Not hugely impressed as far as I can see. Fire warriors are too good to cast aside for battle suit troops when you can already take three teams and Farsight's bodyguard. Taking his custom bodyguard including the riptide would be nice, but very, very expensive. Loosing the Command and Control node is a bitch as well. The only real positive I see is the earth caste pilot array.

I'm thinking take a Farsight force from the Tau codex, with allied battle suits and riptide from the supplement.

#8 ·
I'm thinking take a Farsight force from the Tau codex, with allied battle suits and riptide from the supplement.
Can you ally in from supplements? That would imply that they are a separate codex from the one they supplement as the rules for allies state that the allied detachment must come from a different codex.

#10 · (Edited)
Actually, doesn't it say that the Command Squad has to take exactly seven of the eight? I don't have it in front of me right now.

I already designed (in the tau forums) a disgusting (imho) list involving 2 squads of Crisis Troops, 4 Riptides, and some assorted other stuff.

Edit: I lied. UP TO 7 of the eight.

#11 ·
Yeah I read it like that.....Doesn't require Farsight either.....
A massive riptide list would indeed be good....but I dont think anyone would want to play me locally if I did it....haha

#12 ·
I am pretty sure from the rule that you take members of The Eight in place of the normal command squad that Farsight can take. They are not a separate unit that can be taken by themselves.

From the supplement:
"If you choose to take this unit, Commander Farsight does not allow you to take an XV8 Crisis Bodyguard Team as normal; he has the Commander Team instead. This special unit is an HQ choice that does not take of a Force Organisation slot and consists of up to seven other battlesuits chosen from the Eight.

Games Workshop Ltd. FARSIGHT ENCLAVES (Kindle Locations 1683-1684). Games Workshop Ltd. "
You pick and choose from the seven non-Farsight units (he being the Eighth) instead of taking a command team.

As for the supplement itself. It was a nice read for the fluff and showed some of the darker side of the Tau that has been hinted at, but never truly expanded upon. There were also good "in-fluff" reasons that Farsight and a number of his trusted friends (the Eight) have been around for much longer than the normal lifespan of a Tau.

I'm not sure why everyone is going so wild over the Crisis suits as troops. The minimum cost for an armed 3 man crisis team is roughly ~100pts with flamers. This nets you basically 6 MEQ equivalents who die just as easy and have to start taking leadership tests after a single kill and can be ID'd easily. To fully arm, drone, and deck out a crisis unit can easily run 160+ pts...which seems pricey for what they bring.

#13 ·
I'm not sure why everyone is going so wild over the Crisis suits as troops. The minimum cost for an armed 3 man crisis team is roughly ~100pts with flamers. This nets you basically 6 MEQ equivalents who die just as easy and have to start taking leadership tests after a single kill and can be ID'd easily. To fully arm, drone, and deck out a crisis unit can easily run 160+ pts...which seems pricey for what they bring.
For the same reason people like to play Draigowing, Nipplewing, Loganwing, or Deathwing. Now, we have Crisiswing.

Personally, I was going for it because I have an army that was based around large robots, and being able to get rid of fleshy mortal troops was just the thing the fluff demanded. Though I agree that 3 Crisis is the same (or damn close) to a squad of Firewarriors with Fish.

#15 ·
Actually, I was referring more to running Adeptus Mechanicum, the Legio Cybernetica. Having access to a bunch of Necron Warriors as small robots, and then Tau as the larger, heavier mechanized units felt perfect for me. Adding Fleshies went against that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.