Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

New to SBG: Mordor

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Azkaellon 
#1 ·
Hey folks, my play group is taking a small break from 40k (probably till 6th'ish edition) and are looking at picking up LotR:SBG.

I'm playing Mordor almost exclusively because I want to field 9 Ringwraiths on Felbeasts. Or on horses... or at very least, 9 Ringwraiths...

As I recognize (after looking through the book) that this is not likely to happen for a long time due to a lack of money and the way the game is structured, I thought I'd pop in here and ask your thoughts on a respectable Mordor force that falls within specific guidelines.

1) I like fast. I play DE and GK Shock. If it were not for the Nazgul, I'd be rocking a pure mounted Rohan/Dol Amroth force. I really like the idea of a highly mobile shock force (thus the DE/GK) :)

2) I like elite armies. Swarms comprised of weak units just hurt my soul.

3) I don't feel like crushing. I don't know if Mordor is any good in SBG but I deal out more then my fair share of pain in 40K. So, I'd like to take it a bit easy when it comes to this game. Not that I'm aiming for sub-par lists. Just nothing too beardy.

4) I don't like Orks....their models are ugly....

Any help you guys can give would be appreciated. Oh, and what's up with there being no mounted Ringwraith model besides all the silly named ones?

Also, I was kicking around the idea of getting the 9 Nazgul pack. What is the viability of this vs buying the Mounted/Unmounted named models?

Thanks for all your help folks.

See less See more
#2 ·
From your list of guidelines it sounds to me like a Black Numenorean force would fit you perfectly. They are fast when mounted and are very durable (similar to Knights of Dol-Amroth). They are considered an elite army. They are a powerful force but not too beardy. The aren't Orks.

They also fit in very well with the Ringwraiths, have nice models and are easy enough to paint.

As for mounted Ringwraiths, I'm very surprised by that. They did used to sell several poses of standard mounted Ringwraiths but have obviously discontinued them now. You'll still be able to find them on eBay as they are not rare.

The only real differences I can think of between buying the named Wraiths instead is that:

• They will cost more points wise
  • They will cost more to buy
  • They each have their own special rules (whereas standard Wraiths all have the same rules)
  • They don't look as intimidating (this is just a personal opinion, 9 original cloaked black riders look far more evil to me than the GW invented named Wraiths)

#3 ·
Thanks for your response Red Corsairs.

I've gone ahead and ordered some Morgul Knights (because they look awesome) and am considering getting some of the Black Numenoreans. With the Knight's extended move and armor is investing in a Ranged option necessary? If so, how do Trackers on Warg work out?

Having zero experience with this game I'm wondering how important ranged units are. I figure they're valuable since they are pretty heavily restricted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.