Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Zombie Apocalypse

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  normtheunsavoury 
#1 ·
Yes. You did hear this correctly.

I was thinking of starting a "campaign" if you will with the people at my store of like a "Zombie Apocalypse" I was going to buy a ton of zombie minis from the fantasy side. And take a ton of my old models and zombify them and give people this to choose from.

1 hq may not be a special character, cannot chose monstrous creatures, May not chose anything with over 3 wounds. No retinues the rules may be defied for this to happen. No bikes or jump packs. Psychic abilities are acceptable.

2 elite MODELS may not be vehicles bikes, monstrous creatures, special characters have jumpacks have over 2 wounds. Or be over 40 points per model. may not take transports no matter the rules. heavy weapons ARE allowed. but may not be taken in the form of stationary weapons I.E. platforms. Keep in mind AP does not matter in most cases.

5 troop Models. May be from different squads.

Once again no vehicles bikes jump packs etc etc etc

Heavy weapons are acceptable. No models with more than one wound or a save greater than 3+ (I.E. No terminators.)

Drones in the tau army are NOT allowed.

So you would also be able to chose which supply you would have an abundance of two people can have an abundance of one supply this is to create conflict.

The zombie would be the normal statline of a human with rules of fearless and poison 2+ if wounded you have turns equal to number of wounds To use a medpac to heal the wound or you will turn into a zombie yourself yielding toughness +1 and the same armor save. Zombies will also have feel no pain representing that they don't have nerves.

The zombies will roam freely two hordes will be consisting of 80 zombies and the rest will roam around scattering d6 in. If you are to fire a gun or do something deemed as "loud" I.e. start up one of the random transports around the map or fire a weapon. All zombies within 18 inches will move 2d6 inches closer to you. If even one zombie is the range all zombies in his horde will move towards you.

anything i should tweak change or add?

See less See more
#2 ·
#9 ·
I might. I'll probably use the stat line and the rules. But i definetly will be making it poison 3+ because zombies wound pretty much on the hit. Once they got you... They got you...

I also want to make this as origonal weird and most memorable story's telling i can. I don't want to make this a game about slaughtering the zombies and raiding your opponent for supplies. I want to make this difficult. I want it to be very very very thought provoking strategical and off the wall.

Not taking a shot, Do crazy things to throw the zombies off, Be compatible with other players. What i was thinking of doing with the supplies thing is make ammo and give it to one person so that the other two "groups" that i want to form will fight over the guy with ammo. I want there to be blood guts and viciousness. I want to get almost as real as it can get to how it would be in a zombie apocalypse. Yes this does drop some armies off the face of the earth. Like i will not allow daemons players because of "well i dont have a gun i have a spell that doesnt make noise!" or "I have swords i don't need ammo ima go chop stuff up and make this faceroll"

This evens out the armies. To what i can think of. There is no over powered army for this and most armies are very compatable.

For those who said "tau wouldn't work" Kroot. nuff said.

#3 ·
I like the idea of a skirmish sized battle involving zombies. I've only ever seen it done at kill team and apocalypse sized battles. I think 8 models vs. 80 zombies is a little lopsided though. If you are really that interested in keeping it small, you might want to only restrict vehicles, bikes, and special characters. If not, then I would suggest allowing two full troop choices and an HQ choice.

#4 ·
Well two full imperial guard platoons and a CCS seems like a bit much to deal with 80 zombies

#7 ·
The idea for the 80 Horde was to not make it so you want to face it its something to Avoid of course I'm going to put it on top of rich supply areas and there will be several other players on the board to work things out its to make you think.

Also as a side note i was thinking of adding in My own squads to fight the survivors. And putting necromancers around the map. So that I'm not just moving zombie with no fun on my part. But my squads will obviously suck.

#11 ·
What you want for a truly strategic game is multiple different objectives with different benefits for completion along with PvP benefits. You want people to wrack their brains thinking, ok I can send three guys after each chaos sorcerer with a sniper and two lasrifles in each group and that would leave me with 5 more to raid bob's supplies, but then what if ted swings around to raid me? What you don't want is WOOOO! DAKKADAKKADAKKA!

Things that would help are a restrictive time limit with a VP system as well as some simultaneous action declaration system. (so players can't figure out what everyone else is doing and react immediately) Perhaps dividing your force into 3-6 fireteams and writing out general orders on a flashcard before each turn. (ex. fireteam one, hold position, fireteam two, move northwest and fire at nearby zombies, fireteam three move south and charge bob's camp) With the actual specifics of exactly how far to move, which enemies to shoot determined as you go.

#12 ·
Boz, I'm now feeling a Daemon army. Tzeentch Style. Herald of Tzeentch with boon of mutation (at the very least, you should set a point limit or we can go way overboard), 2 Flamers, and 5 pink horrors.

#15 ·
I said in an earlier post I'm going to ban daemons and tyranids. Because of how inaffective they would be in this game type on the nids side and things like that on tzeench side.

I said i don't want a tzeench player walking in there saying "Do spells cause noise" or a khorne or whatever player saying "Well i don't have a bike i have a mount" or "I have a sword so I'm going to go smash face and take the ammo supply so nobody else can have it!"

So i will be dropping those armies. (nids and daemons)

#13 ·
You could borrow the 'Random Movement' rule from warhammer fantasy, unless there's already a similar rule in 40K. I also have a rule for you.

BRAINS!

The zombies have the insatiable lust for your brains, and will put themselves in any line of fire just to get some; they run at you with their all as fast as they can with their rotting limbs. If a zombie unit has line of sight to an enemy unit within ^18 inches, they will lose the random movement and slow and purposeful rules. Instead, the zombie unit must move directly towards the enemy unit. The zombie unit may not run during this turn [Note: This is so the zombie player can't run the unit in an attempt to make it fairer for the opponent, thus not being able to assault. I don't think they should have fleet of foot as zombies at their best aren't going to be that fast.] and must assault during the assault phase if possible. If more than one enemy unit is within eighteen inches of this unit, the zombie unit will move towards the closest of the two. If players cannot decide which is closest, randomly determine a unit.

^If Night Fighting is in effect, the zombie player must roll 2D6*3 (To a maximum of 18) for each zombie unit. This range then replaces the 18 inch range.

E.G. Roll 2D6, Get 1 and 4, 1 + 4 = 5, 5 * 3 = 15, Replace "If a zombie If a zombie unit has line of sight to an enemy unit within 18 inches" with "If a zombie unit has line of sight to an enemy unit within 15 inches"

#22 ·
You'd think that but it'd be better to get all kinds of armys in there im thinking about giving certain armies different abilitys to make them worth taking

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.