Angelis (Gorkamorka) Desert Terrain Board - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-11, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Shadowbadger's Flag is: Scotland

Default Angelis (Gorkamorka) Desert Terrain Board

Edit: Update and new pics are here http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...71#post1078871

Two friends and I have just gotten our first board to a stage where we can use it for games (and played 3 games of Gorkamorka on it yesterday).

Firstly the board itself. It is a 6' * 4' piece of MDF (my friend has big walk in cupboards enough to store several of these). To make a desert effect beyond just textured paint I cut various shapes usually about 3" * 3" out of 0.5mm plastic card and glued them onto the board. This did take me an entire day while my friends finished a lot of the other stuff. The board was then painted with textured paint made from B&Q interior wall paint mixed with varying grains of sand. The board took two coats of this and was then drybrushed up. We may drybrush again and also wash the cracks slightly to make them pop a bit more.

To make the rock pillars we used 9.5mm plasterboard, cutting little bits and stacking them up. We then painted them with the same mix used for the board

To make the hills my friend stumbled upon a good technique by accident. They are made form extruded polystyrene (the stuff that does not crumble). When cutting with the hot wire tool (foam factory thing) the wire was bending too much and cutting straight was awkward so my friend started sawing with it. This made the cool slope edge effect. The hills were then plated and painted like the board.

The hut I made a while ago (you can just see it in the background), I will try and get a better pic of that. We are still making scenery and what is on the board ia bout half of what we have (and not far from being finished). There are some hills with real cactus in them and a larger building. There are also some ruins which are just plasterboard bases with plasterboard ruin walls all painted in textured paint.

Scenery and modelling blog: http://shadowbadger.wordpress.com

I知 broniphobic just like I知 arachnophobic. I have nothing against bronies or spiders but I壇 still scream if I found one in my bathtub !

Last edited by Shadowbadger; 10-03-11 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Update thread link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 12:48 AM
Gigantor's Flag is: Canada

This terrain looks great! I like the look of the texture on the board! How will you paint you desert?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 02:57 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

This is actually pretty awesome. I've been trying to come up with a way to add some texture and visual interest to some of the tables at the local store while maintaining their ease of storage (i.e., they're all basically flat and feature separate modular terrain). I may have to swipe this for the desert tables when I refurbish our worn-down boards in a week or two.

ASK ME HOW TO GET 20% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!
My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Thank you,

Storing it flat and having the surface still be flat for models to balance well etc was something we wanted for any boards. We may even double side them as they are laid on some towels on top of the table, meaning the under side would not get damaged.

Necromunda / Cityscape will be the other side of this one, although not with the same cracked plating, then maybe Man O War / Seascape and Space Hulk / Starscape on a second board. My friend lives real close to a timber merchant so getting the 6 * 4 back to his house whilst a tight squeeze is not too much grief.

The paint I should have said, from B&Q, is the equivalent of Hope Depot (I think). We used tester pots of paint, the ones you get to put a little patch on your wall to see if you like the colour. We mixed 4:1 Chocolate Milkshake and some red I forget the name of, then a dash of a gray which was about the same colour as GW chadron granite (although again interior wall paint). It is then drybrushed using a colour called "Bumble" although we will likely give it another brush with that to bring it up and will give a slightly redder wash in the cracks. It was all B&Q own brand paint which is cheaper than Crown, Dulux etc. We ended up spending the same on testers as we would have with one tin of a single colour, we got less paint but a variety of colours for the highlights/shading and we got the colours we wanted and we had enough to do two full coats.

You could use serial packet card or something as well for the plated surface but I wanted it to be quite solid and not have dogeared edges coming up so went for the 0.5mm plastic.

The board itself is 18mm MDF, we looked at OSB as well but it flexed too much under its own weight, the MDF is really solid. If you are doing modular pieces that go on a solid table (instead of propped up by a 3'*3' table with the board over hanging like ours) then that is less of an issue though.

We wanted to get our game in though last weekend and it was ready to use

I知 broniphobic just like I知 arachnophobic. I have nothing against bronies or spiders but I壇 still scream if I found one in my bathtub !
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 08:36 AM
Facts + Reason = Win

Bubblematrix's Flag is: United Kingdom

Nice work there, my desert mesa board looks very much like your hills - the same reason as you ended up like that! the foam cutter has no rigidity at all so you get that nice effect.

Did you also find that the fumes from that kind of insulation are particularly horrible?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Yes,

The fumes were pretty bad, my friend who was cutting it was pretty light headed for the rest of the day. We will take extra precautions when cutting it next time.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 11:35 AM
Facts + Reason = Win

Bubblematrix's Flag is: United Kingdom

To anyone who cuts this stuff with a hot cutter I would highly recomend doing it outside, I felt quite sick after half an hour of cutting this stuff.

Nice work there tho, have some rep
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 11:55 AM

Jormungandr's Flag is: England

very nice, might have to pop into my local Focus (closing down sale!! :D ) for some things to make my own board.. Ive got a RoB board, but cba to paint it/want to fill i the skulls, lol.

+rep!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Cheers for the comments are rep all.

I think it will get another lick of paint, a wash in the cracks and another drybrush to make it pop. I will put up more pics as we add to it, oh and the cactus planter hills are incoming, there are some dirty diggas camping near them that need a stomping (our campaign is forming a real good narrative).

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-11, 09:41 PM

Anarkitty's Flag is: USA

For the Necromunda board, I recommend fiberglass window screening for texture.
Glue long thin strips of plasticard over it to break it up and make it more interesting, then paint black and drybrush with metallics (lightly so it still looks grimy).
It's easy, inexpensive, fast and best of all looks good. I used this technique when I built a forge world board for an Inquisitor game some years ago and it creates a really nice metal-plate texture.

Check out my Codex: Scions of Slaanesh (Grey Knights complete rewrite)
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?p=959181

And my Necromunda Escher gang project log (with lots of pictures)
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/....php?p=1007914

In our embrace of the pleasures of the flesh we feel the embrace of the Dark Prince
She asks nothing of us but to enjoy life, and in doing so we bring glory to Him
Give up your petty faiths and morals and join us in the bosom of the Goddess of Pleasure

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting > Scenery & Basing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode