Table design - wetlands - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-13-09, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Default Table design - wetlands

so im fairly new to the game, totally addicted at this point. :p I have a spare room in the back of my house i am going to convert into a game room, and have started building my first 40k table.

I actually have 2 table themes in mind, a wetlands theme, which i think will be the 'home field' for my orks, and an urban ruins theme that will be the home field for my space marines.

I figured I would start with the wetlands, because its easyer, and will get some practice in for me. I'm building the table to be 4' x 8'. and the environments will be modular, so im using 2' x 2' pieces of wood as my table tiles. I made an orthographic drawing in photoshop, I put all my tiles on there own layer so I could move them around in 2D and get a good feel for how flexible the design would be. After looking at these, Ive decided that the stone 'ruins' will be removable, and I'll just place flat stonework on that terrain instead. that way I can build up modular ruins in any shape I like later.

anyway, heres the test box of terrain I did for the look and materials of the big table, and the orthographic drawings I did for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002a.jpg (187.6 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 002b.jpg (113.2 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3539.jpg (168.3 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3541.jpg (152.8 KB, 200 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-09, 08:45 AM

Imperial Dragon's Flag is: Australia

Dude that's sweet, i like it how you can change the battle field around.

What will you be making the swamps etc out of?

How ironic it is that as fast as we spread progress and hope throughout the galaxy, the Tyranids spread death and despair. Only united can we hope to stand against them.

Aun'shi of the Tau Empire
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-09, 09:29 PM

gwmaniac's Flag is: USA

Wow, that looks great! I like the computer drawings, I wish I could have the patience for that, what program is it?

Oh, and I noticed you live in SoCal, perhaps we can meet up at a GW store?

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-09, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

Unfortunatly I havent had a chance to make too much progress on this table yet. Work has been busy and its been raining on days I had free to work on it outside....

The program I used is just Adobe Photoshop. I make a 'group folder' for each panel. then make 1 layer for line, and one layer for color in each group. Then when you want to see what your table will look like re-aranged, just move the group folders. you'll also have to change the order they are in so they overlap each other properly. I'll post a little tutorial on it. its quite easy to do.

the one set-back with doing a 3D layout like this is that you cant rotate the tiles, only re-arrange them. but its still better than nothing.

GW maniac: yea, If i ever get a chance to actually get out and play ill let you know. Times are soooo busy nowadays!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-09, 10:59 PM

Kitsunex's Flag is: USA

wow that is awesome! Almost makes me want to bust out Autocad to do something similar.

maybe after i get some more terrain building experience under my belt.

what are making the panels out of exactly? thick foam? what were you thinking of using as a mechanism to lock the panels in place?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-09, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

heres a quick and dirty step-by-step for the process of laying out modular tiles in photoshop.

*Edit: Kitsunex - Ive already bought and sanded 2x2 pieces of wood that are going to be the base of the tiles, and im using cardboard to build up terrain, then covering the whole top with plaster. With the weight they are right now, im not realy worried about locking them in place. they are heavy enough to just sit. I'm more worried about where to store them. Haha!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mod_01.jpg (106.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Mod_02.jpg (105.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Mod_03.jpg (95.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Mod_04.jpg (94.4 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Mr Pokey; 03-19-09 at 11:06 PM.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-09, 11:28 PM

Kitsunex's Flag is: USA

ahh. hmm i have access to a router and stuff... you have me inspired. it would be easier to store 2x2 tiles than a 4x8 sheet in the cramped space i have now.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-09, 12:33 AM

Wraithian's Flag is: USA

On a semi-related note, if there are others out there that'd like to do something similar to what Mr. Pokey has done with his fantastic Photoshop-Fu, there is a free program out there called, "GIMP (do a google search for, "GIMP photo software,"). It's a great program, without the Adobe price tag.

What you have done so far is very clean, and I really like the digital models you've produced. Great idea, and very useful in large projects. +rep for sure.

Level me up! I, too, wish to storm the lands of mortals reaping what is truly mine...but for now, I am but a wee spot of energy...

Clicky!

"I embrace death without fear as I embrace life without regret."
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-09, 12:36 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Very awesome looking table. I am looking forward to updates on this!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 09:11 PM

A1i3nz's Flag is: Portugal

The table is sure to be awesome. I especially love the computer drawings.
Hope you can post more pics

Chaos can't kill the laughing god
When life gives you lemons. More Blood for the blood god!!!!! - Khorne Philosophizer
"There is no art as beautiful and divers as the art of death" - Laconfir of the Biel-Tan
Operate!Operate!Still Time to operate! -Mad Dok Grotsnik

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting > Scenery & Basing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode