Ultramarines 4th company - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-10, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

jpunk's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Ultramarines 4th company

Hey all.

My other ultra's project log has descended into mere anarchy and got about as off topic as it could get with pictures of half finished models from an assortment of projects. I have therefore decided to kill it off and start afresh.

I have recently decided to go codex with my ultra's after a year or so of 2nd company and black shoulder-padded heresy. In the process I intend to finish everything in the army to the same standard, and to raise my game a little painting-wise, adding in the little touches I couldn't initially be arsed with. To that end, this project log will feature ultra's and only ultra's, and furthermore, it is going to be *finished models only*. Hopefully I should end up with a project log that is far better to browse through than the mess I leave behind.

So to start, I present you with tactical squad 'martis' and rhino. Facelifted from my first AOBR marines.

The initial line highlights on these are too wide, but after the addittion of a grey highlight, it blends better. Its not as noticeable to the naked eye as it is in the pictures as I'm using some pretty harsh lights. The main changes to these guys were the additional highlight, the shoulderpad change, various freehand markings, and the weapon casings.

Not much done to the rhino, mainly the addition of transfers, and some blending on the hatch veiwports.

Hope you all like them, and I'll be back soon with more updates.

Last edited by jpunk; 05-17-10 at 06:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-10, 04:30 PM

dark angel's Flag is: Wales

Fairplay mate, these are some awesome Ultramarines! The blue looks really good in my opinion, and when I first took a look at the picture I wouldn't have known they were AoBR models! Definatly plus rep, I look forward to seeing more of these

Nyctophobia- Fear of the Dark Angel.

"No one ever spoke about of those two absent brothers. Their separate tragedies had seemed like aberrations. Had they, in fact, been warnings that no one had heeded?"

'Killing a man is like fucking, boy, only instead of giving life you take it. You experience the ecstasy of penetration as your warhead enters the enemy's belly and the shaft follows. You see the whites of his eyes roll inside the sockets of his helmet. You feel his knees give way beneath him and the weight of his faltering flesh draw down the point of your spear. Are you picturing this?'
'Yes, lord.'
'Is your dick hard yet?'
'No, lord.'
''What? You've got your spear in a man's guts and your dog isn't stiff? What are you, a woman?'
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-10, 09:49 PM
Powered by Squig Tea

Viscount Vash's Flag is: England

Superb Smurfs!

Sorry.

Its really good to see another company rather than just the second. and you have managed to make the AoBR marines look a lot better than they are which I find impressive.

I look forward to seeing more.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-10, 10:13 PM

Vredesbyrd's Flag is: United Kingdom

Fourth Company armies are always full of win, and these are looking fab. You've made those AOBR models look really good, almost like the multi-part models.

The dappling on the Rhino looks very cool, though I would recommend another thin coat of white on the Tac arrow on the hatch doors, as there's a little bit of blue still showing through under it.

My Nordland Empire Log
The Emperor's Schilling
Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-10, 10:52 PM

CMDR_VELIK's Flag is: USA

very nice job on those guys and the free hand on the rhino is cool.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-10, 11:06 PM
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Always a pleasure to see your work mate, finished or otherwise.

I do have two critisisms though (it was hard to fins anything, but I was determined to make this a useful post)

1) I think blue as a bsecoat for the loincloth/parchment on the sergeant was a bad choice. While the blending and execution are brill, I think it just looks wrong overall.

2) I'm Not a fan of the drybrushing on the rhino, I think if you had gone with clean flat colour with edge highlights it would have looked nicer and mroe in line with the marines. This would also give more space fore the awesome freehand you've got on the go.

Overall a really really nice job man, I just want you to bust your balls a tiny bit more so we have even more gorgeous eye candy to look at Well done!!!!!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-10, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Cheers for the comments guys.

Vash: Where's the mr slappy head cleese avatar gone? That amused me every time I saw it.

Immortal: Agree on the loincloth. I normally use grey. I think blue must have just been closer to hand or something. But drybrushing on the rhino? no no no. That is a painstakingly built-up marbled effect using a stippling technique. I almost never use drybrushing. It knackers brushes and just looks awful on large flat surfaces (IMO, anyway). I avoid it like the plague. All my vehicles rhino size and up have this marbling. It's probably one of those love it or hate it things though.

Vredesbyrd: You're dead right. 'tis now sorted. Cheers.

Got another pic for you all. This is Tactical squad 'dimicatio', led by a veteran sergeant, with rhino (which also has its top hatches hinged).

Last edited by jpunk; 05-19-10 at 12:05 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-10, 01:11 PM
LTP
Painter and Crazy Person

LTP's Flag is: England

Very nice and clean models. the highlighting is great and the freehand is very good. Great work. have some rep.

:D
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-10, 05:00 PM
Bleh

Marneus Calgar's Flag is: England

The freehand is brilliant! Loving the Ultramarines, +Rep
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-10, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Another update!

Don't worry, they won't always come this thick and fast. This time, a landspeeder I bought myself last week as a well done for completing all my exams. (I didn't need an excuse for also buying a rhino and a vindicator!)

Anyway, on to the pics.

Looking at these images, you can see the base blue hasn't covered too well. Again, it looks OK in your hand (certainly looked fine when I was painting it), but the combination of the lighting and the camera I'm using show a multitude of sins that normal light and the naked eye don't. When painting large areas of flat blue in the future, instead of using three coats of my base blue, I think I will probably undercoat as well using a foundation paint.

The model itself is was a joy. Probably the trickiest SM kit I have come across, and I really enjoyed all the fiddly cockpit details. It's the first time I have had to put together a mini using tweezers. I think I also need to improve my flesh technique.

Last edited by jpunk; 05-20-10 at 04:41 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode