Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

An IG Kill Team, Army Stripping, Terrain Building, Decision Making, PLOG

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Moonschwine 
#1 ·
The Background:

Hello!

So I need to get my finger out to get ready for a meet up with friends in a couple of months. A friend of mine has found out he is going to be a Dad cometh November so that means even less time with him than I already get each passing year!

In order to give him a last hurrah, and establish what should hopefully become an annual event, myself and others have set up our own little meet and retreat in the middle of nowhere. It's going to be Four men, dozens of models, nerd games, trading cards and war-game terrain...mixed with a healthy dose of nostalgia and memoirs...what could go wrong?

It's going to be alot of work though. I need to strip a Guard army and a CSM army. Following that I need to build a battle board, paint up some terrain and move house - all in about 3 months. So this is probably going to be a continuous work in progress ever changing thread updated randomly when I have time to do so. At the least It's a place to note down my thoughts.

For a Breakdown, in no particular order this thread should eventually contain:

>A history of photos of an IG Kill-team to be used at the event
>A battleboard being born and badly put together
>Not one but two armies being stripped in various dangerous chemicals
>Me abandoning sanity and just painting things how I feel like.

So as to 'Put my money where my mouth is' so to speak I'm just going to dive straight into it:

THE IG Killteam

One of the games we have agreed upon is a 40k Kill Team game using the Heralds of Ruin rule-set with transports. This has given me solid focus to actually strip and repaint my Imperial Guard Miniatures in a new scheme, without feeling over burdened by the massive task it will probably entail.

To start I've decided to go simple: A commander, a medic, a few squads of veterans, a sentinel and a chimera.
Picking the color scheme has been difficult, largely due to my current IG army being...well terrible. Thankfully I have quite a collection of old metal Kasrkin models that I've been able to strip using acetone due to their metallic nature. A few brush strokes later and here's the chosen scheme:

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=959982841&thumb=1

With the others now in the tank soaking away, I look forward to getting this thing going!

Regards,

Moonschwine

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Him8s and Old Man78
#5 ·
What a busy day it seems.

Decided to work on the base coats of the new battle board, a few bits of dungeon terrain and general stripping of miniatures:

The Battle Board -
Not much to talk about here. Laying a base coat of Acrylic to map out the flock areas and main features. Once I seal it up with PVA i'll put down a thin layer of flock and give it texture and depth. A real WIP for the next few weeks. Also featured are a few paper-card terrain models made by my awesome gf.

Miniature Stripping
Acetone is you friend metal miniatures! A few pics of a before and after quality. Most have gone back in for a soak over night to get those last stubborn bits, but four new models for the kill team have been selected and undercoated for painting.

The Dungeon Terrain
Many moons ago I backed these dungeon tile kickstarter. Finally got around to doing a test batch. Pretty happy with the result!

Attachments

#7 ·
More dungeon and WIP Killteam

Attachments

#8 ·
Progress continues.

Another four miniatures for the IG Kill team are in the process of being painted (attached image).

About 30 odd dungeon tiles also complete.

Next target is going to be 10 more tiles and all the IG backpacks.

After this batch I think I'll grab some of the CSM's to start work on my Shadowwar team followed by a Sentinel, and then some flocking of the battle board.

I've found looping between several smaller projects is making me far more productive.

Attachments

#10 ·
Continuing onward.

Next up is some CSM once I strip them.

Attachments

#11 ·
Update:

So progress continues well across the range of projects. The event has been booked for June 23rd meaning that from now till then I have to put in a good amount of time to get things at an acceptable level.

Currently things are breaking down as such:

Battle Board:

Alot of progress here - now onto flocking the first half of the board. Thankfully the long weekend provided much needed sunshine to get me outside and working on it. Pretty happy so far, though I'll certainly need to put in a little more work on it with things like the pathways and blending the static grasses together.

IG Kill Team:

Progress continues. With about 50% now complete the kill team needs a sentinel and a Chimera built and painted ASAP

Chaos Space Marines:

Currently holding out on the promise from my sister of an ultrasonic cleaner. Otherwise progress has slowed to me trying to paint these cursed chosen minaitures from dark vengeance. Man theres just too much detail so already things are going back again for a re-strip!

Dungeon Tiles:

Making great progress, starting to get quite experimental too regarding the use of flocks, static grasses and technical effects like blood splatter.

Hoping that this log is inspiring folk to do the same!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.