District terra wip - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-16, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

omgitsduane's Flag is: Australia

Default District terra wip

So it's been probably years since I have put my face on these forums and it's probably time I get back to where it all started...

I've had some very hectic tournaments in the last few years, focusing primarily on CSM but moved the start of 2016 to the loyalist and superior codex of SPACE MARINES!

I've gone through a full circle event realising that as much as I do love Death Guard, they were not heavy on the chaos iconography like other chaos marines were so I went back and built a full army of loyalist kits with the preheresy scheme with a few worn out models but mostly basic painting on them.

I ran with this on the CSM codex for a good two years, heavily investing in vindicators, land raider and terminators to get my work done and I performed well most games but then the codex creep came...

Experiments with 4 Maulerfiends, Cypher in Spawn stars, and all the like left me feeling let down by the basic elements of the army and so the Emperors guiding light set me free.

The leap into using preheresy models came almost 2 years ago because of their rugged and tough appearance plus being expensive they were not seen often at tournaments in this area so I took to it quickly and they suited my painting style - fast and washy!

Within months I had made 50 marines and a few tanks as well as ordered 15 odd terminators, which is now in the 50 mark thanks to BAC and BOP box sets.

My shift in the hobby though turned towards the hobby, where I found solace those earlier years when things in life just seemed tough, warhammer and particularly the building of terrain gave me a reason to be excited for tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/DistrictTerra/

I put most of my stuff on here, been using it as a good creative release and have just in the last month moved in to a much bigger home where I can finally get some real work done and all those half finished projects can go to rest.

Just to make sure there is enough spam in the post.

I hope to reconnect again with those of you I may have lost, and make new friends along the way!!!

Introduce yourself either here or FB.

Looking forward to a good reunion.
Old Man78 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oodles View Post
Your brain is incredible, where my brain sees a tyre, yours sees a helicopter.

Last edited by omgitsduane; 01-18-17 at 08:09 AM. Reason: CHANGE TITLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-16, 09:32 AM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Some sweet terrain there pal!

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-17, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I got a lot to put here. I wish I kept a blog this whole time.

I have a small update.

I received a commission after selling some terrain to a customer and he had a close friend who was interested and got on to me straight away about creating a dwarf inspired set but changed his mind (thankfully before production began) to a snowed over industrial set and I fell in love and ran with the concept. I drew up heaps of sketches and saved picture after picture of reference for use and have started construction after a long and difficult move to a new home.

This building would be just for repairs and gearing up of the vehicles or machinery of war. The buildings are 6x12" with cuts down the middle so they can be split apart to cover wider areas or put together to form a cluster of industry.

A prep station with fuel tanks and the needed tools of war. The machine must grind on!

Because he was so keen and I had these lying around, I made customer objectives also for the set. :D

More updates soon! I am really keen on this project as a whole. Painting will be so much fun. I have a lot of ideas.

Quote:

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-17, 12:56 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Welcome back! It looks like the terrain is coming along smartly. And congrats on starting a cottage industry. =)

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-17, 02:58 PM
U Mad Bro?

Chaosftw's Flag is: Canada

Ummm.... would you like to make terrain for my Tournament lol!! these pieces are excellent!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-17, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Welcome back! It looks like the terrain is coming along smartly. And congrats on starting a cottage industry. =)
Cottage industry? Not sure what you mean by that ha. But thanks regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosftw View Post
Ummm.... would you like to make terrain for my Tournament lol!! these pieces are excellent!
I could, the shipping would be killer though I do this because I love it more than any other part of the hobby. I'm horrid at the game!

So I have some extra stuff to show for this set.

I have begun putting the texture paint around. It is good for hiding gaps in walls and

I also use it for roughing up floors and walls to create texture where there isn't any.

The devil is in the details with this one. I hope to really create something with a story for this terrain. An overrun facility with a hint of Genestealer Cult.

Look for the next addition!

Quote:
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-17, 03:07 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsduane View Post
Cottage industry? Not sure what you mean by that ha. But thanks regardless.

The devil is in the details with this one. I hope to really create something with a story for this terrain. An overrun facility with a hint of Genestealer Cult.

Look for the next addition!
Hey, a cottage industry is defined simply as, "a business or manufacturing activity carried on in a person's home." Historically, this was wood working, furniture making, weaving, embroidery, etc.; this was a supplemental form of production following the main income for a household, which was usually farming.

What kind of texture paint are you using?

I would also suggest using spackle or wall and joint compound to add a layer of texture to the foam core walls, then use white artists gesso to seal it and make it more rigid.

Happy terraforming!

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-17, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Hey, a cottage industry is defined simply as, "a business or manufacturing activity carried on in a person's home." Historically, this was wood working, furniture making, weaving, embroidery, etc.; this was a supplemental form of production following the main income for a household, which was usually farming.

What kind of texture paint are you using?

I would also suggest using spackle or wall and joint compound to add a layer of texture to the foam core walls, then use white artists gesso to seal it and make it more rigid.

Happy terraforming!
Ah that makes sense. I get it. I am using texture paint from Bunnings (a big hardware chain in AUS). I will be using it to slightly texture the walls and bring rust and grime to gear joints and machinery also. Works a treat.

Have another small update.

A crate of goods for the front line/guerrilla army (ironically the genestealers)

And the second building taking shape. This one I wanted as a sort of small refueling station/oils/change that kind of thing. Some minor work to be done but coming along well!

Quote:
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-17, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Small update.

I recently got hold of a LOT of scrap and cut off pieces from a friend and I wasn't quite sure what to do with them at first until I realised how easily I could make practically anything given the inspiration.

I made this! A printer it will work as, for the GSC in this sector. Having captured the printer long ago they pumped out propaganda and started turning the masses against their own government.

A corner of one of the buildings I've made. This pipe or canister, whatever it may be has ruptured and genestealer Jim has found a comfy spot to rest his genestealer head.

The body underneath has a Tyranid adrenal gland on the back of it's head, a form of aggressive psych-domination through parasites but the victim didn't live through his transformation.

Quote:

Last edited by omgitsduane; 01-30-17 at 08:14 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-17, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

The printer room currently looks like this.

I've added some pieces to the edges of the room to give it more of a lived in feel.

And the three that I've currently got working on. The blue stuff is texture paint which is invaluable!

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
40k , terra , terrain , warhammer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode