Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Arhurt's conversion corner: Necrons, Chaos and the occasional Infinity model...

17K views 76 replies 14 participants last post by  Old Man78 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All!

I had a thread on Warseer a long time ago about my original Necron Army. I'm at it again a couple years later and would like to share some of what I'm building.

My goal is to have a unique force, a one of a kind that can get people's attention. The core of that will be done by my vehicle conversions even though I do some minor modifications to my infantry and characters as well.

The backstory of my Dynasty is that one necron Lord, Harut, was tasked with staying awake during the long sleep. He was a master of canoptek engineering and he made modifications to the war protocol of the Dakhma.

Unknow to all, however, madness has overcome Harut as he has fallen slave to another entity. He changed and tampered with the reawakening protocols of his Nemesor and Lords and Harut and his mysterious master have basically seized control of the Dynasty.

With no further delays, lets start with something Juicy.

Dakhma Tomb Blades

Reworked by the Canoptek Lord Harut, the eternal watcher, these Tomb Blades rely more on the skills of the rider than on the computational algorithims of the bike.

You can find Work in Progress pictures at my blog, under the Tomb Blades tag, here.

Also, a few of my characters so far:

Nemesor Mahvan'erel, deathbringer of Dakhma

Harut, the eternal watcher, canoptek lord of Dakhma

Autharok, Dakhma warmaster

See less See more
#2 ·

Cryptek Havit’yun, harbringer of eternity, master artificer of Dakhma

Voch’ats’um, harbringer of destruction

Dakhma Warriors
I always try to change the pose of every third or so model so I can break the monotony of the units. The reason behind this is that the Dakhma dynasty has been better maintaned during the great sleep, given that their canoptek Lord was kept awake during it and could tend himself to the stasis protocols. This means that even their warriors have more advanced will and endurance during a fight, though at a risky cost to the entire Dynasty and perhaps, the galaxy itself...

Here are the first few units together for a group shot.

#3 ·
Dakhma Immortals
I have magnetized my Immortals weapons. I have 10 assembled and painted so far, but only have pictures of the first 5 of the unit with their Tesla Carbines.

Tak'ard the deathmark
Just as Harut improved every warmachine in the Dakhma arsenal, also did he better equip his assassins. Each Dakhma Deathmark is an independant threat, capable of bringing the power of an entire squad with their enhanced kraken morphology. They connect to a series of Sniper drones that enhance the capabilities of the assassin.

#4 ·
In the works:

Reclamation oculus
Instead of deploying Ghost Arks that are capable of repairing necron warriors mid-field, Harut discovered it was much more efficient to phase damaged units back to the closest tombworld for repairs while, at the same time, maintaining an open portal between these endless vault-crypts and the battlefield.

These hovering portals bring forth an endless stream of deadly Necron infantry, pouring forth Gauss flayer fire in a constant barrage of death.

Scarab Swarms:
I really wanted mine to be actual swarms!

Canoptek Tentilla

The Dakhma Dynasty deploys these instead of monoliths, a single colossal squid-like warmachine that drops from orbit and burrows inside of the earth itself.

Canoptek Tentilla: Doomsday Cannon counts as Doomsday Ark
One of the tentilla appendages ends up in massive doomsday cannons. Burrowing and emerging from the ground from angles that make any formation by the enemy easily countered by simple redeploying heavy weapons from a different angle.

Canoptek Tentilla: Tesla Destructor counts as Annihilation Barge

#5 ·
Dakhma Wraiths
i'm still toying with this idea of making my Wraiths more squid-like to follow with the "tentacled menace" theme of the army.

Overlord Reaper Raiment counts-as Catacomb Command Barge
Harut has also designed these raiments to spec from the influences of the mysterious master of Dakhma. They are meant to be used to harvest their victims, more of a ceremonial garb than a warmachine.

That's all for now, feel free to check some more WiP pictures on my blog: Wargaming Rebel

#7 ·
Hehehe, I did get a little carried away on those didn't I? It was my first time using an airbrush and I was just blown away by the possibilities at the same time as my lack of experience prevented me from getting better results. I did like them in the end, but I'll agree that the lightning effects are overdone.

I'm glad you like the overall result. I may go back at some point and retouch those, but my top priority is to get the pile of unassembled and unpainted units cleared up first.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Love your deathmark ideas, those drones look great!

Reactions: arthur.bobany
#9 ·
I'm glad you liked it. The good thing is that this method uses the Immortals/deathmark kit completely and I get two units out of one box. Of course I had to provide the Wraith to make the centerpiece of the unit, but I had that one laying around for a while now.

Of course you can just use the drones as a unit as well, but I liked the concept of a single deathmark character.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Hi guys!

Time for a side project of mine! Shifting through my collection I had a bunch of unused Reaper Bones miniatures and I decided to set some apart to start working on a Nurgle Force so I have a second army tu introduce people to the hobby.

What follows are my plans for a Flying Demon Prince of Nurgle! Hope you like it!

The whole idea is that he floats around drippling endless viscera and guts onto anyone unfortunate enough to be under him. He's propelled by a rocket engine and is held afloat by a bulbous noxious gas baloon.

#16 ·

Before leaving for Christmas with my family I had time to finish the painting on my Necron Overlord's Reaper Raiment (counts-as CCB).

I have to say, I'm pretty happy with the results. I still need to apply dullcoat and then hit the gems and spheres with shiny varnish, but it looks pretty bad-ass and has already got a fame for ionflicting major pain to my opponents!

#17 ·
Outstanding modeling and pretty fuckedup fantasy, you possess!

#19 ·
Thanks guys! Your compliments are very much appreciated and keep me excited to bring in more!

I have finally had time before travelling to Rio to finish this character.

I still have to come up with a name and backstory for him as well as take proper photos, but I wanted to share his final painting here.

I also managed to lay down some bse colors on the Nurgle Demon Prince I've modelled.

I now need to get some new paint colors to properly advance on him, but I'm happy that the details and personality are coming out even at this early stage.

#22 ·
Arthur.bobany ...

I am diggin what your tossing down here in this thread! I absolutely LOVE the Doomsday Arc! I was looking for a way to do up the FW Millipedes from the Necron line and I think you have got my creative juices flowing in a direction I can work with!

Cant wait to see what you have coming up next! Keep up the excellent work!

#23 ·
I think you have got my creative juices flowing in a direction I can work with!
Thanks a lot and I'm glad to hear you are also feel the call to raise your legions once more!

I'm taking a break from my Necrons to finish my Infinity Morat so I can play that system as well, I only need 7 more Infinity miniatures and I'll come back to my crons!

I've been very busy with work, but I managed to do a few hobby sessions early in the morning and get these two guys finally done.

That marks my first two miniatures of the year!

#30 ·
Thanks man! I really appreciate it.

I've previously posted a Myrmidon hacker I did as a test for my wife. I'm now moving forward with her initial forces.

I'm still struggling with the clear finish of these miniatures. I dislike how the high contrast makes them look cartoony, but it's the technique I know and I want to have them ready to play with her ASAP, so I'll have to live with these results for now.

#31 ·
So I have a tournament coming up in three months time. So much to do!

Here's the list of what I need to finish for it:
5x Warscythe Lychguard
1x Night Scythe
10x Scarab Swarms
6x Wraiths
2x Tomb Spiders
3x Tomb blades

Luckly, I have previously assembled the tomb blades and half the scarabs, but all else must be done from the start.

Só today I spent a good amount of time planning and got a few units assembled.

Here are my Wraiths. I dislike the perching position of the official miniatures. I also think they are a tad too big, so I slimmed them down a bit and made them more like a scorpion. My thought is that they impale their victims with the tail and dismember them with their claws.

My first five lychguard. I thought about magnetized weapons, but I lack the time and correct magnets for the job.

Finally, I started assembling my version of the tomb spider. I love the official model but I'm short on cash, so I'll just use my original kitbashed idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.