Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Boc's Sons of Horus Project Log (Updated 18APR13)

29K views 171 replies 46 participants last post by  Boc 
#1 · (Edited)
Sons of Horus Heresy Era Space Marines

Greetings all, and welcome to my project log! Below you will find a table of contents with links to facilitate browsing on this project log, as it may get rather... long. I hope you take the time to browse it and that you like what you find! And if you don't like it, let me know that I suck!

Sons of Horus 19th Battle Company

First Tactical Squad

Second Tactical Squad
Comtemptor Dreadnoughts
First Talon
Justaerin

Terminator Squad Triarii (First Cataphractii)
Praetorian
Centurions
Warhound Titan (Dreamforge Leviathan Crusader)
Predator Squadrons
Group Photos
Of course, I'll do my best to keep this up to date, but I historically suck at that so we'll see. Enjoy!

See less See more
#35 ·
Many thanks, mate! I altered the eyes a bit today, added a white streak in the middle and applied a red glaze over it, I think it's popping much better, so thanks for the suggestion.
MUCH better, so much better. As for the lettering on the scrollwork, just go with black and make small bumpy,wavy lines to represent writing that is too small to read from anything but up close and personal. The only real thing you can do in that case I think.

#38 · (Edited)
Ah you're talking about to the sides of "Sons of Horus?" It does look a bit naked... I'll add some tomorrow.

Oh god... they're all so creepy! I fear for my life with these guys running around.

You may well have just influenced the alignment of my Emperor's Children.
Many thanks, mate, glad to have been useful to someone :)

Thoses eyes look pretty damn A+ with just that weeny bit of white added
Agreed, kudos to Wraithlord for the suggestion

And I was back at work today. My main focus was knocking out the tutorial for the paint job, and as such I think I kind of rushed it a bit, so I don't think he's quite as sexy as some of my other marines. This was my first Mk III marine, and I found him much more enjoyable to paint than the Mk II. The left shoulderpad isn't glued on (since I'm still just waiting for my Mk II/III SoH shoulder pads) and primarily there for pictures for the tactica. Anyways, here's the latest addition to the squad:

The puddle in the base was still completely wet at the time of the photo, I caught the drop on the backside as I was rotating the model and cleaned it up. There's also a patch on the back of his right foot where I started battle damage but apparently forgot to finish it up... woops! I'll correct that one tomorrow as well.

Next up will probably be another Mk II marine (I've got so many!), hopefully I can get it finished in a day. Hope you enjoy!

#37 ·
Thoses eyes look pretty damn A+ with just that weeny bit of white added :so_happy:

#39 · (Edited)
Well, I had my first work station blunder today, which is slightly unfortunate as my paint station is also my work desk... kinda feel bad for whoever inherits it when I leave (paint drips all over, dried blood effect, etc), but this one takes the cake for the size of the stain. While applying weathering powder onto the marine to follow, I knocked over the container of black soot... the resulting spot makes me a sad panda.

Ah well...

Anyways, managed to finish up one of the 2 Mk III marines I've been working on the last day or so. Nothing really groundbreaking here, sadly I'm still waiting on my shoulder pads, so his left arm remains naked.

Hope you enjoy!

#40 · (Edited)
Finished up another Mk III today, the last of the 10-man squad. I'll have 2 more Mk IIs on the table (did a few steps today on them, nothing crazy) to complete my first 2 standard tacticals for the Sons of Horus army. Here's the last of the Mk III (for now):

As a random note, I honestly didn't even notice that I had a different model of bolter until I was about halfway through it. And while it is a different bolter, I think it fits the hodge-podge image that I was going for. As this is an Istvaan III army, either loyalist or traitor (undecided still...), the force is comprised of marines that have whatever weapons they managed to get their hands on. This also explains why each squad has many different marks of armour (or at least it's a convenient crutch for now). So... different bolter, but still good enough for me :) It is odd though that when I ordered 30 of a certain pattern of bolter I got 1 of a different pattern... meh.

Next on the table is the last 2 Mk II Marines for the squad, then maybe my first Justaerin model. I think for the Justaerin, I'll just add an additional layer of Greenshade, to make them noticeably darker than the standard "green" I'm using and differentiate them from any other termies I may get in the future.

On a separate note, I'm REALLY hoping my SoH Mk II/III shoulderpads will finally arrive on Thursday, having these 99% models on my table is rather aggravating.

#41 · (Edited)
Finished up one of my Mk II guys today, pics are below!

I tried to do the weathering and battle damage here in much more of a "themed chronology" than my other models. On his left side, there is a ton of nicks in the armour, all running the same way. On his right, there is dried mud colouring/weathering covering pretty much the entire side, from boots to lightly on the helmet. This was caused by a massive explosion on his left side, shrapnel peppering his armour and then he was thrown to the mud in the blast. Since then, the mud has dried into just dirt and he has kept fighting since. I decided not to do any scorching on his left side since I thought it might just be overkill. I forget who said in another thread that battle damage needed a "story," and thought it was a rather inspirational way of looking at it.

I don't know what's going on with the camera I've been using, still using the same settings, no flash, etc, but the pics have been coming out really fuzzy. I'll try tweaking it tomorrow since the photos are, well, shit.

Here's progress on my next (and final, for now) member of the tactical squad:

And then... JUSTAERIN! I'm pretty pumped about them...

#42 · (Edited)
Finished the last one of the squad, woo! Hopefully (as I've whined about numerous times...) the Mk II/III shoulderpads will show up tomorrow in the mail (as I only get mail 2x a week) so I can truly finish the unit... but here is the last one then some group shots:

Group Shots of the First Tactical Squad, 19th Company Sons of Horus:

Granted, it's really a 15 man squad as per my current army list, but dammit, good enough for government work! I'll probably be doing the squad leader after I knock out a couple of what is next...

And I'd be remiss not to show a progress picture of the first Justaerin I've started on:

Not much, I know... but still, it's something. These models are absolutely great, a shit ton of detail and I just hope to do them justice.

Question to others:
I've never really been that great at making sexy looking power weapons. I was thinking red for these (to match the optical lenses)? You guys think that'd be a good colour for the blades or try something else? Thankya!

#44 ·
Question to others:
I've never really been that great at making sexy looking power weapons. I was thinking red for these (to match the optical lenses)? You guys think that'd be a good colour for the blades or try something else? Thankya!
Looking good there Boc, be nice to see a full army shot at some point. As for power weapons, I've personally been a "blue" fan myself but in this case with the dark green of the armour I'd go with red yea, be some nice contrast.

#43 ·
Lovely stuff there Boc!

#47 · (Edited)
Cheers, mate, glad you enjoy :)

Looking good there Boc, be nice to see a full army shot at some point. As for power weapons, I've personally been a "blue" fan myself but in this case with the dark green of the armour I'd go with red yea, be some nice contrast.
I'll give that a shot, then. I purposefully stopped prior to the axe today simply so I could give it ample time, I'll be browsing around some of the tutorial threads on here for some inspiration on how to paint it.

They are gonna look mega awesome as a whole army
Hope so! That's why I'm trying to crank them out, since I'm VERY happy how they look as a group so far. Much better than my old CSM, better than my Necrons. I'm plotting now how to make a display board for them, I'll need to make little cardboard loops to make spaces for the bases to go, but that's WAY too far in the future to really get worked up on.

traitorous swine that they are
Did I ever say that they were traitors? :p

Anyways, I completed about 95% of my first Justaerin today. The most significant change from my Tactical marines is that I added additional layers of Coelia Greenshade in order to give them the super dark, almost black appearance. Everything else is just a regurgitation of things I've been working/improving upon through the iterations of the model.

I do have to say, this guy was pretty intimidating at first. While the model itself doesn't have a ridiculous amount of detail to it, it is still a very powerful looking model. I wanted to give him that aggressive feel, though maybe at a lull in the battle. The pose I used I imagined that he had just found himself in a moment of quiet, surrounded by corpses and is just standing and surveying the scene, but still ready to attack if needs be. While his weapons will be at his sides, he is still leaning forwards as he anticipates the action to come.

As I said above, I opted to wait until tomorrow to do his axe so that I could research a bit how I wanted to paint it as well as make sure I gave it adequate attention, hopefully it'll turn out okay haha.

#50 · (Edited)
i thought the Justaerin were suppossed to be all black?
Yes, yes, they are haha. I am just not a fan of painting black, and figured that the super dark green would be a decent enough alternative. I've got Cataphractii on the way, they'll be standard green shade so noticeably different from the Justaerin.

The "Lake of Blood" effect on the base is intense, and the colors look good.. Nice work!
Thanks, mate, I picked them out for the exact effect.

Well, I finished up (ish) Justaerin #1 today. I tried painting the axe red (a few different tries, actually) but could never get a result that didn't look like utter shit. So instead, I went for the standard metallic that is visible on the Forgeworld painted group photo.

Other than a small detail that I'll discuss momentarily, here is the finished product:

Since I had to change what I originally wanted on the axe, I decided to try and make a blood drop effect coming from the axe. This will take a couple of days, since I'm just using the same red tinted water effect from the base and slowly applying it to the weapon. As it takes a long time to dry, I'll just have to keep adding to it in the coming days. Once I get the first one finished, I'll be sure to get a close up so I can see what you all think.

#51 · (Edited)
Finished up the axe on the Justaerin, and some group photos for warm fuzziness since the damned Mk II/III shoulderpads finally arrived so I completely finished up the first 10 tacticals today:

#53 · (Edited)
I am tempted to tell you your painting sucks but lying for the purpose of a joke hardly any of us would get seems a waste.
Never hurts to try lol

After many days of procrastination due to NHL '13 coming in the mail for Xbox (go Sabres!), I finally got around to painting up my second Justaerin. There was a slight change that I'll go into in a moment, but first, pics!

Now, you've probably noticed already, but this Justaerin, rather than the dirty light green tabard/random dingle-danglies, has red. Jacobite thought it would look better and, as most of the "highlight" details are red (eyes, hair), I agreed it could be good for colour coordination, and look more menacing. Luckily, it's an easy fix one way or the other pending the response from you guys, but figured I'd post a side by side comparison to see what you guys like better: light or dark "tabarding".

#54 ·
Loving it :victory:

Personally, I like the light tabard. But they're your figures :)

#58 · (Edited)
Personally, I like the light tabard. But they're your figures
I THINK I may actually use both... gives the unit's more individuality, I suppose. We'll see though, but I'm taking a break from Justaerin for a little bit after today.

Didn't the Emperor give them light colours to wear?

Forget that guy.
True story, Emperor's a douche :p

The red looks badass as all hell, I'd go with that, personally.
Cheers, I went with it for numero 3. Pictures to follow!

I finished up (99.9% of the way, at least) the third and, for now, final Justaerin. The blood effect is still very much wet in the photos, both on the base and on the axe. As I've said, it often takes me 1-3 days to get the bases to where I want them, as the blood effect dries and leaves vacancies from where either air bubbles were or the base isn't covered. But, more or less, here it is!

While the photo I don't really think shows it off as much as I'd like due to the point of focus on the camera, the multimelta's weathering I really liked doing. The barrels are the standard gold, weathered with soot for the effect of firing the weapon repeatedly. Also, there is some rust along the side that isn't incredibly visible, and the exhaust vents are fairly well coated with more soot.

Here's a group shot of the 3x Justaerin that are it for the time being:

#55 ·
light says more luna wolves and red says more we have come for your skulls

#59 ·
I actually think that the color of the Justerian is spot on, its a coal matt black to me rather than a green so its pretty much perfect. As for the tabards I think both work, maybe use one color for sergeants and the other for the rest? Or maybe use one to show Terran Sons and the other to show Cthonian born?

Liking the weathering as well, I don't know if you are using a different technique on the termies but the chips seem more subtle on them than the tactical marines.

#60 ·
ye i like jacobite's idea,light to represent terrans and reds to represent the chthonian ones would be cool especially if you write backgrounds and names for each i mean you are a big original works guy after all

#63 · (Edited)
jacobite said:
Or maybe use one to show Terran Sons and the other to show Cthonian born?

Liking the weathering as well, I don't know if you are using a different technique on the termies but the chips seem more subtle on them than the tactical marines
son of azurman said:
ye i like jacobite's idea,light to represent terrans and reds to represent the chthonian ones would be cool especially if you write backgrounds and names for each i mean you are a big original works guy after all
That's actually an awesome idea, love it. I'll roll with that as my rationale from now on, thanks :)

I'm still using the same technique for battle damage on the termies as on the tacticals, though I'm being much more careful to avoid getting too much paint on the brush, since some of the grey came off much too thick. Hopefully the newest tactical reflects the progress I think I made while painting the Justaerin.

As far as the backgrounds bit my big fiction piece (the forever-unfinished Skull Reaper) actually started as background fluff for my CSM army haha. Sadly, I don't think I've even written anything in over a year, just run things over there with Dave lol

LTP said:
These are looking so awesome Boc. I love the gore on the weapons they definitely look scary
Cheers, ideally they'll simply intimidate the opposing side's models once they see the tabletop in a few months

Well... originally the intent was for it to be blood droplets, however the water effect+red paint dries into a much larger mass than I had hoped for. Now I simply see it as giant chunks of gore still clinging to the blades. Happy thoughts, right?

I was back to work on the tacticals today, knocked out the Sergeant (though I had forgotten he only had a bolter and bolt pistol hence the CCW...) as well as made some significant progress on a second model. The chainsword presented a fun new way to do the gore, and while there is still another day of applying/drying left on the weapon, it still looks pretty... gross. I'm currently building up what will hopefully look like blood spatter on his gauntlet as well, should be interesting.

The bolt pistol and chainsword are both from the new Mk IV weapons set that came out in the beginning of the month. I had intended to use one of the chest pieces from that (they look more like Mk II or III due to the additional groin plate) but sadly they were bad molds and the area behind the head was open in places. I'll try to GS them or something for use later, but we'll see if I ever get that far.

Next up is the captain from the Captain/Standard bearer set. He's about 75% complete, so here's the progress of the day on him:

I'll have to clean his face up a bit, it's been a long time since I tried to paint flesh. I tried to put some dirt on the side of his face, but I think it came off kind of bad. I also tried the black dots in the eyes... and needless to say, the Red Bulls I constantly chug made my hands a wee bit unsteady, so he may or may not be slightly cross eyed... as for the skin itself though, I think it turned out well enough, though advice on it from those with more experience is always welcome.

That's it for today though, I should finish up the captain (though he won't be for tabletop use) tomorrow. Not sure yet what I'll move on to, so you'll have to wait and find out haha. Hope you enjoyed!

#64 ·
I concur with the Cthonian/Terran idea for the cloths. Sounds neat :so_happy:

That Captain is looking pretty damn good so far Boc, although the wip picture just makes me think "Ehrmagerrd! Muh erms ferlen urf!"

#65 · (Edited)
That Captain is looking pretty damn good so far Boc, although the wip picture just makes me think "Ehrmagerrd! Muh erms ferlen urf!"
Lol well luckily the problem has been rectified :p

Captain Dimitros of the 19th Cohort of the Sons of Horus

Next up: lots of tacticals. Hope you enjoyed!

#67 · (Edited)
Okay, not a whole lot of progress, but I want to prevent having this PLOG fall by the wayside as others have in the past. I've been working a little on my entry for this month's painting deathmatch, and here's the progress so far:

There's still significant work to do on the body before I move on to the shoulderpads, backpack, and base, but the biggest pain in the ass parts are done, so ideally I should have it presentable in a few days. I plan on having the blood effect dripping down the base as much as I can, though this may (as with the weapons) take multiple applications and hours of sitting there bored trying to make sure it dries in the pattern I want it to.

I am very much in debate as to how to pose the sword arm, here are the following options, and I'm not sure yet which I like better:

A.
B.

I've put together the Master of Signal as well, no painting progress yet though. I do have to bitch about the model itself for a moment, though.

Cool looking dude, right? Fuck no! This is the most retarded helmet design of all time, here's a side view so you can see for yourself:

I had to trim the neck-armour down to even make him look up that much. The model HAS to stare down at his feet since the giant tumor growing out the back of the helmet is way too large to even remotely function well with any mark of armour. Not a very smart design, and the model, no matter what, is forced to look down. Ah well...

#70 · (Edited)
Wow great stuff mate! im really liking your darker approach, looking forward to more
Many thanks! I was definitely going for a very ominous and menacing look for the models.

When do we get to see some group shots of this splendid work you've been doing??
Ask, and ye shall receive! Here's what I've got complete so far for the 19th Cohort:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.