Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

The Son of Horus- Collected Visions

77K views 425 replies 60 participants last post by  The Son of Horus 
#1 ·
I was thinking about it, and really, it's pretty silly for me to maintain a separate project log for every one of my projects. I like to have several things going at once to keep me sane-- it makes it possible to assemble huge armies if you never really get burned out painting one of them.

Anyway, this is a continuation of the following two threads--

The Pyre: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107667&page=12

and

Heresy-Era Sons of Horus: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117840&page=2

I can also show off my Black Legion refurbishment project-- it's not anything I really felt like posting in a project log before, but I figure I can show the squads as they get cleaned up. I basically didn't play with my Chaos Space Marines for the duration of 5th Edition because I hated that stupid Codex, and my painting skills have improved drastically since I shelved the army. Not that they were ever bad-- they won best painted pretty regularly at events-- I just can do better now.

The final reason I figured I could just start a thread of collected works is that I can also just show random models I've painted in the meantime in here, keep a link to my hobby projects in my signature for easy access, and when the fancy strikes me to start a new project, I don't need to add more clutter making a new thread.

Anyway, here are the last couple things from the last two threads--

From The Sons of Horus project, my first Contemptor and Praetor.

A special thanks to ResinForge for a great deal on the torso and legs that went into the Praetor-- there aren't a lot of bits services out there that offer a good deal on Forge World bits, but he did, and gets my recommendation if you're after individual components.

This is sort of a quick look at my desktop at the moment-- the second contemptor is well on its way, and I have a bunch of Tactical Marines I'm working on. I figure I'll probably run squads of either 10, 12, or 15... I haven't decided yet...so I'm just sort of painting guys with bolters and I'll figure out where they go once I settle on how I want the squads arranged.

This is the last squad I finished for The Pyre-- a Legion Tactical Support Squad for Apocalypse games. I figure nine flamers and a sergeant with a combi-flamer and power sword is very thematic for the army.

I also got a Redeemer to a point where I'd play with it, although I'm scrounging up some assorted Chaos vehicle plates to cover the Imperial iconography up. I'm also planning on going back and cleaning up the highlights. It's another one of the things I've added to the army for Apocalypse games, which I don't play nearly as often as I'd like to.

On a totally unrelated note, I've had the odd urge to paint some Imperial Guard stuff. I've always had a small Guard army... I just never really got it off the ground and onto the tabletop. I don't know why I never showed this vehicle off-- this was sort of my "learn to use an airbrush to do weathering" project. I'm pretty happy with how it came out, considering all the weathering was done with an airbrush and I had no clue what i was doing with it.

So yeah, stay tuned for pretty regular updates from here on out-- I'll probably just post whatever I've been up to in this thread from now on.

See less See more
#3 ·
Got a few more Tactical Marines done for the Sons of Horus, along with a sergeant I intend to lead a Tactical Support Squad.

I also finished up my Lions Rampant 1st Company command squad, most of which involved touching up a couple models and finishing the apothecary.

#4 ·
Lately, I've also been cleaning up my old Black Legion army, like I said. I haven't bothered repainting anything, even though the models really need to be touched up a bit-- there are just too many of them for that. I have been rebasing them, though, and I have painted up the Dark Vengeance contents to go with the old army-- just with much cleaner highlights and sharper detail.

Three Chaos Space Marine squads:

And a forgefiend. I have another on my desk waiting to be painted. It's hard to say which my favorite item out of the recent Chaos release was-- it's a toss-up between the Forgefiend and the Warp Talons, since both are awesome models that are also great in-game.

#5 ·
Lots of pretty shinies there, Horus! :so_happy:

#6 ·
Usually the lack of updates from me where hobby things are concerned means I've been up to something big. And, I certainly have been. As a bribe to work on the store's terrain and paint up some new stuff (namely, two skyshield landing pads, a fortress of redemption) for in-store use, I was given a healthy chunk of store credit, which ended up going to this.

This is the second Baneblade I own, and I painted this one mostly with an airbrush. It's something I'm still learning to use, and I have to say, owning an airbrush now has given me a new appreciation for painting large models. I used to hate painting vehicles, but with the airbrush, they've become a much more interesting project for me.

I've yet to figure out how to photograph this thing well, since it's so big. It doesn't really even fit on my painting desk! I took it out to my table in my garage for a couple pictures with its squadron-mate, but it's dark enough in there that the pictures aren't great. I'm going to have to look into getting a third to complete the squadron at some point in the future...

The obligatory "Drive me closer so I can hit them with my sword!" tank commander.

"A Righteous Hymn" and "Our Lady, Deliverance", Hestia XXVI Armoured.

And, in case anyone was interested, there are some chunks of the Fortress of Redemption on my table, with my Pyre Chaos Space Marines deployed for a game. When this was taken I hadn't finished the Fortress and taken it back to the store yet-- but I figured if I had parts of it done, I might as well play with them while I had them handy, right?

#8 ·
Tanks are looking good, mate. Did you decide to convert one of them so you can make it a fellblade as well or say screw it?

#9 ·
I thought about it. I even went so far as making the main gun modular to switch between the baneblade and the hellhammer. And then I sat and thought about it, and realized that even in dense terrain, I think I'd still prefer the complete flexibility of the baneblade to the hellhammer. So I went ahead and just glued the main gun on for stability.

I ended up deciding that if I do get a Fellblade, I want it to match my Sons of Horus, and not just be a weapons swap for something that's not part of the Legion, as far as how it's painted. It's something that may happen down the road...we'll see.

#10 ·
Love the tanks, very envious of how you ended up with it :p

Are you using GW paints with the air gun or Vallajeo?

If you were thinking of getting a Stormlord variant I would advise using one of the Baneblades as a counts as first as I haven't found 1 that I prefer to a Baneblade.

#11 ·
I use Reaper Master Series almost exclusively. I've put GW paint through the airbrush also-- just requires more thinning. I mix whatever I'm putting through the airbrush with Createx acrylic thinner, which so far has worked pretty well. I'm still learning the ropes in general with the airbrush-- I'm hoping to learn how to do more detail with it soon-- at the moment, I can do basic gradients, weathering, and obviously undercoating things quickly, but that's about the extent of my skills with it. I'd like to figure out how to do extremely fine lines so I can use it on larger infantry models, too.

#13 ·
I finally finished the second Contemptor. I ended up using the extra claws from the Forgefiend/Maulerfiend kit for the fingers on this one's close combat weapon, just for some variety.

Here's both of the Contemptors. I still need to get a third to finish off the Talon, but I think for the time being, I'm going to focus on infantry and get some more Tactical Squads up and running.

#14 ·
Great looking Contemptors, though I think the battle damage to the one on the left is a bit too... uniform. All of the scratches seem to be at the same angle, which seems odd for erratic damage taken throughout a fight.

Still look badass though :)

#15 ·
Great looking Contemptors, though I think the battle damage to the one on the left is a bit too... uniform. All of the scratches seem to be at the same angle, which seems odd for erratic damage taken throughout a fight.

Still look badass though :)

#16 ·
Maybe it was the salvo from one particular weapon? Then it would make sense for a single volley to cause damage in the same direction, as the projectiles (or lazor beams if they're being fancy) have all come from the same source (unless it's Orky).

I can most definitely agree with the "badass" sentiment, however. :)

#17 ·
Well, it may not be a third Contemptor, but I've had a regular Legion Dreadnought on the desk for a couple weeks and today seemed like a good day to finish it.

I keep telling myself, "Horus, you've gotta start on those sixty-some-odd Marines in Mk. IV armor. Maybe paint up the Tactical Support Squad that's got ten plasma guns, and play with light sourcing." But no, I keep finishing the shiny large models first-- it's the exact opposite problem I usually have. When I paint an army, generally, the tanks and dreadnoughts and whatnot are the last thing I touch because I've always favored painting infantry to vehicles. But with the addition of the airbrush to my arsenal, I've found I actually don't hate painting big models anymore.

#18 · (Edited)
One of the things I've been working on lately is getting a copy of Dark Vengeance painted up for the store so we'll have a demo copy. I'm not going for particularly high quality or anything-- if anything, you want the results to seem achievable to the average passer-by-- that was one of the great flaws with Confrontation, if any of you recall that game-- people were turned off by how incredibly the miniatures on the boxes were painted and felt like they could never come close to the examples. So I'm not doing any blending or anything like that on the models for the store's Dark Vengeance-- just basic layering.

I decided to do the Chaos Space Marines as Word Bearers...figured they'd look similar to what's on the back of the box, but be actual Traitor Legionnaires instead of some random renegades.

At the moment, I've finished one Deathwing Terminator, the Ravenwing Bike Squadron, and one of the Chosen. I've also finished most of the Librarian. Anyway, here are a couple pictures... there'll be more in a bit.

#21 ·
Not much of an update... I've been out of town for the past week, so I haven't gotten much of anything done. Finished the plasma gunner for the Ravenwing Bike Squadron for the store's copy of Dark Vengeance, though.

#22 ·
Them there bikes is real purdy! :eek:k:

#23 · (Edited)
I don't normally post unpainted miniatures. But I'm pretty happy with how this conversion came out. Codex: Dark Angels gave me the kick I needed to actually do something with the 50-some-odd bikers I own, so I picked up a Ravenwing Command Squad and decided to covert a counts-as Sammael, as well as a Chaplain and an extra guy.

They'll be a strike force drawn from the 6th Tactical Reserve (the Reserve Company from which Codex Chapters draw their bike squads and land speeder crews to attach to a Battle Company) for my Lions Rampant... there should be a link to the Chapter fluff and all that in my signature.

I figure that since Sammael's jetbike is the only surviving example of an Imperial jetbike, the Lions Rampant would not have one-- especially not for the Captain of a Reserve Company. But mounting a plasma cannon to the fairing of a regular bike? Well, that's doable, right? I figure the other benefits of the jetbike can just be chalked up to Captain Tauro (errr..."Sammael") being a skilled rider or something. This is basically just the sergeant out of the Ravenwing command squad box, with a Grey Knight sword, and a plasma cannon. I used a bit of green stuff to attach the power cable to the bike's fuel tank... I figure there's probably a fancy fusion battery or something in there that the plasma cannon can be hooked up to. Really not that complicated beyond cutting the fairing and the plasma cannon to fit together.

#26 ·
These are the Captains of the Second and Fourth Company of the Lions Rampant, respectively. I didn't paint these recently, but I never took pictures of them for some reason.

Captain Porthos

Captain Valentinus

I also (mostly) finished my counts-as Sammael, Captain Tauro of the 6th Tactical Reserve. All that's left is to touch up the freehand iconography, which I'll do when I'm not a little twitchy from caffeine.

Finally, this is my current project-- a Lions Rampant Nephilim. I figure I'll count it as a Stormtalon, as I'm not going to be "that guy" that jumps codecies every time a new one comes out. The new Nephilim/Dark Talon model is so very cool though, and it's much more what I think the Stormtalon should've looked like in the first place. The main weapon fits in snugly without glue, so I can switch between the avenger bolt cannon (which will represent the assault cannon most of the time) and the twin-linked lascannon as needed. I figure I can run it as a Nephilim proper in Apocalypse, after all. I shaved off the Dark Angels chapter icons on the undersides of the missile pods, but decided to leave the Ravenwing icon on the tail alone-- there are other details I didn't want to screw up on the tail by removing the Ravenwing icon, and when painted differently, the Ravenwing logo can easily look like generic fast attack heraldry, I think. At this point, I need to clean up the freehand iconography and lettering-- I put it on purely to block out where it was going-- and finish the pilot and canopy--both have to be painted separately before being glued in place.

#27 ·
Finished up the Nephilim today. I know folks are lukewarm about their in-game effectiveness, but it's just such a cool model. The mega bolter and the twin-linked lascannons are interchangable on the model without needing magnets, which is great.

I touched up the freehand markings, and added some more carbon scoring from atmospheric flight-- weathering aircraft is such a different beast than weathering tanks, and it's something I've never really gotten the hang of.

#28 ·
I'm surprised how much I actually like the Nephlim in white, to begin with I wasn't sure but I have had a look at yours a couple of times now and it's good.

It needs some more work on the high speed aspect of the weathering imo, streaks coming off rivets, more leading edge abrasion trailback damage that sort of thing. It would help with the dynamics of the overall mini by suggesting speed.

#29 ·
I lied, it was your bikes I'd commented on :p

Loving that fighter in the white plate! :eek:k:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.