Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Historical Fiction - Who else reads it and what are your favourite titles?

4K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  MontytheMighty 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I just finished writing a review of Bernard Cornwell's fantastic Azincourt, and was wondering if anybody else on here is a fan of Historical Fiction, and what novels have you read from this genre. And if you have read any, are they any good? What's your favourite?

I've read the following Historical Fiction Novels:

Under the Eagle by Simon Scarrow - the first in a series of Roman novels. Scarrow is an awesome author, almost as good as Bernard Cornwell, who is in my view, the king of Historical Fiction. I'm currently reading the second novel in the series, The Eagle's Conquest - and am enjoying it as much as I did Under the Eagle.

Sharpe's Tiger by Bernard Cornwell - I think, if any of you will have heard of any military historical fiction, it will be the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. I've recently taken the plunge into reading the novels set in the Napoleonic War period and am finding them to be fantastic. Cornwell's probably my favourite author when it comes to writing battle scenes, even though I've read a lot of Warhammer 40k novels. Cornwell outclasses even Abnett in my opinion, and I can't wait to get back to reading more of his novels.

Spartacus: The Gladiator by Ben Kane - first in a Duology of novels telling the tale of Spartacus the Gladiator. Of course, this is a Roman era-novel, and I found this to be really enjoyable. Dark, gritty - Kane is, although perhaps not as good as Scarrow and Cornwell, still a pretty good author and I will be reading Rebellion (Book #2) when it's released.

I've also picked up the first two novels in Conn Iggulden's Julius Caesar series, and will start them when I go abroad to France later this week. I'm really looking forward to them and have heard high praise for Conn Iggulden's novels. The Assassin's Creed tie-in novels also count as historical fiction to a certain extent, although they're not as good as the aforementioned novels and frankly - the Games are far better.

Basically, I created this thread so that those of you who have read Historical Fiction or are thinking of picking up Historical Fiction can have a place to discuss it.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Flashman, the supreme historical fiction series. A series of twelve books, sadly since the author has been dead since 2008 that is all there will ever be, about a military officer in the Victorian-age who is famous, heroic, chivalrous and brave... in his public face. He's actually a cad, a liar, a cheat, a layabout and a monstrous coward. And yet despite constantly landing himself in the worst situations, usually due to being caught with a woman he shouldn't be with, he always manages to come out the hero despite always looking to jump ship at the earliest chance.

One truly great thing about Flashman is that the author is honest about his faults. In the first book Flashman rapes a woman, albeit under the implied threat of death if he doesn't, and describes the aftermath as such. "That was the first time I ever raped a woman, it has its pluses but on the whole I prefer willing women." Flashman is not a hero, there's no question of that, he might be responsible for some heroic things but only through selfishness and pure dumb luck. He'll betray friends, cheat on his wife constantly, gamble and drink, beat servants with glee and steal credit for whatever he can. Yet Flashman is still likeable for being the smart one, most of the time, and because he's just so damn funny. Flashman himself claims he has three real talents; horsemanship, foreign languages and fornication, the second of which he usually learns from the third.

Any who've read Ciaphas Cain will have an understanding of what Flashman is like, as Cain was partially inspired by ol' Harry Paget Flashman. Flashman is what Cain believes himself to be.

What is truly sad is that since the author is dead some of Flashman's greatest adventures will never be known, like how he fought on both sides in the American Civil War. :(

LotN

#3 ·
Sharpe, obviously.

Also started a relatively new series by Michael Arnold called "The Civil War Chronicles". The first book - Traitors Blood - was pretty good, and I have the second one ready to go as soon as I finish off The Primarchs.

Other than that, I confess not so any good titles would be appreciated :)

#4 ·
It depends on what sort of time period you're interested in. I'm going to say you should check out anything by Bernard Cornwell, as he's awesome. He has a new novel called 1356 that's hitting shelves in September and looks set to be pretty cool. Although I don't know much about that period of history I'll be picking it up, because, well - it's Bernard Cornwell.

http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles/50439/1356-bernard-cornwell-9780007331840

Go with God and Fight Like the Devil. A fascinating hero and the pursuit of a sword with mythical power - this is the remarkable new novel by Britain’s master storyteller, which culminates at the Battle of Poitiers in 1356.

Thomas of Hookton, a veteran of Crecy and many other battles, is the leader of a mercenary company of bowmen and men-at-arms who ravage the countryside east of Gascony.

Edward, Prince of Wales, later to be known as the Black Prince, is assembling an army to fight the French once more but before Thomas can join, he must fulfil an urgent task.

La Malice, a sword of mythical power guaranteeing victory to its owner, is thought to be concealed somewhere near Poitiers. With signs that a battle between the English and the French is looming others are seeking the treasure too, and some – French, Scots and even English – are pursuing their private agendas against Thomas.

But all – Thomas of Hookton, his enemies and friends and the fate of La Malice – become swept up in the extraordinary confrontation that follows, as the large French army faces the heavily outnumbered English in battle.

#14 ·
He has a new novel called 1356 that's hitting shelves in September and looks set to be pretty cool.
Awesome sauce, I'll pick that one up :biggrin:

Oh, I forgot! I have Harry Turtledove's Great War trilogy here too! :blush:

#5 ·
And I of course would recommend Flashman if your interested in the Pre-WW1 era. Flashman features some of England's most famous battles and wars like the First Anglo-Afghan War, The Charge of the Light Brigade, The Battle of Little Bighorn, The Crimean War and The Indian Mutiny, among others. And of course the series alludes to many other famous things that Flashman has done that we'll sadly never see now. :(

LotN

#6 ·
I don't read historical fiction that much, but if you like Ancient ages, I can certainly recommend 2 writers: Colleen McCullough with her Master of Rome series (it covers period from Gaius Marus and Lucius Cornelius Sulla, then Julius Caesar and ends with second triumvirate and death of Mark Anthony), and Steven Presfield with his Gates Of Fire (Thermopyllae battle), Tides of War(Peleponesian war), and Alexander books.

Also worth reading is McCullough' Song of Troy (It's her version of Illiyad but without any mythical elements).

#7 ·
Ive read Bernard Cornwells first Sharpe novel long ago, but lately read all of his Saxon novels which i think are great.

Conn Igguldens Emperor series i read years ago which too i can recommend. He has written other series too, which i havent read.

Eagle in the Snow by Wallace Beem. Arguably THE BEST novel of Roman times and ive read many of them. This i fully recommend.

James Clavell's Shogun. I read this first time when i was about 11 and ive read it several times since. Must be over 10 years since i last read this.

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. Loved it, very good novel and liked very much the mini-series too.

Sven Hassel's WW2 novels are quite good also. Not read all of them but enjoyed what i read. Best fiction of WW2, although some say its real.

#8 ·
Another big fan of Sharpe right here. I'm going chronologically through the series and am going to start Rifles when school starts back up. I've also got Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian. I've heard good things about that one as well.

#9 · (Edited)
Historical fiction isn't my preferred genre, but there's some good stuff out there.

I can't overstate the greatness of Neal Stephenson

Cryptonomicon is a great book for anyone who's even a little geeky and remotely into WW2, and the massive epic prequil the Baroque Cycle is probably the best 3000 page swashbuckling adventure ever written about the birth of international trade, mechanical computing and the advent of calculus.

Also it features a syphilitic vagabond/pirate/counterfeit Janissary/sultan/professional mosquito feeder. His name is Jack Shaftoe and he is awesome.

If you're into steampunk and/or alternate history fiction, check out the Difference Engine written by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling.

#12 ·
Cryptonomicon is a great book for anyone who's even a little geeky and remotely into WW2, and the massive epic prequil the Baroque Cycle is probably the best 3000 page swashbuckling adventure ever written about the birth of international trade, mechanical computing and the advent of calculus.
I loved Cryptonomicon but I really ran out of steam with the Baroque cycle, not nearly as good I thought. Especially, I think Stephenson sucks at female characters. They are stereotyped or men with tits. Reminds me, I need ot pick up ReamDe still.

Oh and I like Flashman too! :)

#23 ·
I do!

You should check out the Lucifer Box novels by Mark Gatiss. The character is somewhat based on Flashman, and Gatiss is an excellent writer :victory:

#13 ·
The main female character in Baroque cycle was pretty good, I thought. Very clever and ruthless and brave.

But yeah, it starts a bit slow. After the first 300 pages or so it really picks up. Mainly what gets you through is waiting for the next Jack section. But even the duller parts were fascinating to me.

But then I've also grown to love long-winded authors. If a novel is less than 600 pages I have to think twice about buying it because it doesn;t feel like as good a value ;-)

#15 ·
Not so much Fiction, but more Historical War Memoirs, particularly from units which I was there alongside or hold a special place in my heart;

Such as 45 cdo's yomp in the falklands, or some of the actions in afghanistan, or iraq. When ive been in ops and the plug was pulled just before the start, and I find out when and what happened at that point. Even if to find out youve been mentioned, or you recognise a call sign, etc.

#18 ·
I am quite surprised that there's been no mention of Gates of Fire.

One of the best books I've ever read - Polynikes is, as of now, my favourite character. Anywhere and everywhere.

Christian Cameron is good, as well - Especially his Long War series, and God of War - The latter being a tie-in to his Tyrant novels - Though it's told from the Macedonian point-of-view, rather than the Greek. Alexander the Great is quite a prominent character. I'd recommend any of his novels. :)

#19 ·
Pillars of the Earth deserves to be mentioned twice..
The Tremaire series was pretty good, Napoleon on dragons.

I personally love the Wild Card series. Its a collaborative usually edited by George RR Martin, unfortunatly they are a little hard to come by, most of the early books are OOP. Kinda More SF, but set against a backdrop of the Twentiuth Century: HUAC, Cold War, Vietnam. Good stuff.

#20 ·
I've basically just read most of the Cornwell books, he's a very good writer, he makes the characters unique, relatable and creates a good story without making anything unbelievable or awkward.

Scarrow's just as good, I've only just begun his roman series though, looking forward to reading the next one.

#21 ·
You cant go far wrong with bernard cornwell, youre right, azincourt was a brilliant novel. I also recently read stonehenge, which has a disapointing endng, but was a brillant read.
I see someone mentioned harry turtledove me. His worldwar series is brilliant! Although technically its an alternative history. During the heights of the second world war, aliens attack! It sounds daft, but believe me, its a very very good series, and it has been executed perfectly. And when you finish it, it carries on with another series called colonisation, which again I highly recomend.
Another series to take a look at, is Hornblower, by C S Forrester. Its naval fiction centred around the napoleonic wars. Sometimes, it gets a bit dull, or becomes more of a factual statement than a story. For example, when he describes the entire rules to a card game. But it was a very good read, and by read, I mean listen. I found the audiobooks at a car boot for a fiver.

#31 ·
I see someone mentioned harry turtledove me. His worldwar series is brilliant! Although technically its an alternative history. During the heights of the second world war, aliens attack! It sounds daft, but believe me, its a very very good series, and it has been executed perfectly.
Turtledove is excellent. The World War series is very good, but as you said more scifi than historical fiction. Conn Iggulden's Ghengis Khan series are some of the best books I've read in the last year or so. I've only read a couple of the Sharpe books but they are definitely worth a revisit.

Shogun by James Clavell is also very good.

#22 ·
I've recently read the second novel in Conn Iggulden's Emperor Saga, Death of Kings - and Iggulden is certainly a good writer - but, he does make historical inaccuracies, (although - he does acknowledge them, saying that this will improve the story or something along those lines). Iggulden's second novel in the Roman series is much better than the first, with much more action and a satisfying conclusion. 4.5/5 - can't wait for Book 3.

#24 ·
A few years back I read Jack Whyte's The Skystone, and really did enjoy it. It dragged in places, and Varrus became kind of annoying as a master of all trades. But the world building and personalities rang authentic, the violence vivid and brutal.
I read somewhere that the quality fell off over later volumes, as the publishers wanted it to be more of an Arturian revision and Whyte wanted to keep it as more of an historical fiction tale.

Currently, trying to read Agincourt (Azincourt's U.S. title), but it is getting lost in a pile that also includes First and Only, The Roots of Obama's Rage, and all of my textbooks. Slowgoing, but as my first exposure to Cornwell it rocks.

#26 ·
If you haven't already, try anything by Steven Pressfield

Gates of Fire (the Battle of Thermopylae, nothing like 300)
Tides of War (the Peloponnesian War)
Virtues of War (Alexander the Great)
The Afghan Campaign (Alexander the Great in...Afghanistan)
Last of the Amazons (Theseus and the Amazons)

Hate to say this...in terms of writing skill, Pressfield's stuff blows 99% of BL out of the water. I hope BL keeps getting better, but as of now, I'm more drawn to the setting than the actual quality of writing (Abnett, ADB, and Wraight being exceptions...with more to come hopefully)

#28 ·
I can't read the Sharpe books because of the TV series. The two are so different and I prefer the TV version.

However, his other series are very good.
The Saxon Series (6 Books)
The Warlord Series (3 Books)
The Grail Quest Series (4 Books)

Another good historical based series is by CJ Samson.
4 Books set in Tudor Times. Dissolution, Dark Fire, Sovereign and Revelation.

The Emperor Series by Conn Iggulden is another top quality set.

#29 ·
I can't read the Sharpe books because of the TV series. The two are so different and I prefer the TV version.

However, his other series are very good.
The Saxon Series (6 Books)
The Warlord Series (3 Books)
The Grail Quest Series (4 Books)

Another good historical based series is by CJ Samson.
4 Books set in Tudor Times. Dissolution, Dark Fire, Sovereign and Revelation.

The Emperor Series by Conn Iggulden is another top quality set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.