What should i use?

• Chaos spawn

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Minotaurs

Votes: 1 25.0%

Chaos trolls - How should I?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Gluttoniser 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to add a unit of chaos trolls to the chaos army i have underway.
My first thought was chaos spawn, using only the more basic parts and green stuffing on scales and horns to the back to fill in the gaps provided to add extra mutations. The heads i would make from scratch, and some may carry weapons (probably from black orcs). For throgg i would use the new plastic daemon prince with no wings, axe and a new head. Secondly i could just by the daemon prince arms and use them on a spawn, wich i could beef up with greenstuff and make him generally bigger and more distinctive.
Or, alternatively use the throgg i already have who has been converted similiarly from belakor but only if he is big enough next to the spawn.

The other alternative is to use heavily green stuffed minitaurs, with new heads (scratch built or from river trolls) with the new doom bull representing my throgg. These would look far chunkier and solid, but less beastial.

Both ideas would cost much the same, £9 a troll, £25 throgg give or take a few quid. And both would regire equal work. So, what are your thoughts? Please please PLEASE dont say "Why not just use the super sexy new river trolls?", because i really dont like them. Too cartoony for the rest of my army, and too fat, and i can think of a suitable throgg that would work well in a unit with them (other than using another hideous river troll to re[present him).

So, what do you think?

See less See more
#2 ·
Beat me too the suggestion about the River Trolls. I do like them though, and they're simple to both paint and make, which is useful for a modelling retard such as myself.

I don't like Minotaurs at all. They're overly muscled, and designed by someone with only the most base ideal of what muscles look like even when overinflated with water.

On the other hand, the chaos spawn look far too scrawny in the limbs. How big is this unit going to be? (Or is it going to be your army?). Perhaps combining certain parts of the two units would result in something truely chaotic (and put across Mutant Regeneration extremely well).

The Daemon Prince sounds awesome for Throgg, though.

#3 ·
I agree with you about the River Trolls; although none of the troll models are very threatening, they seem part of a steady move towards cartoon monsters.

Are you also planning on having Ogres? If so, it all comes down to what you see as the big visual difference.

For me Ogres are bulky, muscle-man creatures whereas Trolls are lanky wiry creatures, so if I wanted to use Ogres as well I would use Spawn to make the difference obvious. If you see Trolls as bulky upright creatures than Minotaurs are a reasonable bet.

#4 ·
I sort of like the idea of using spawn for the unit. Even though they're meant to act independently, several spawn ranked up can look pretty awesome. Since Chaos Trolls mutate as the battle goes on, the spawn look isn't out of place for them, I don't think. The only problem with going with spawn is going to be the cost-- you're essentially getting two spawn for the price of one metal chaos troll. It cuts the cost in half, but it's still rather high for two models when you need like 20 to make the army work correctly.

Also, you're going to have issues putting the new daemon prince on a 40mm square-- what Throgg is supposed to be on. You may have better luck using a spawn as the basis for him as well, if you go that route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.