Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Weathering Silver

921 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  The Son of Horus 
#1 · (Edited)
Right im painting a Silver Skulls Space Marine army to the moment and was wondering how best to weather silver on my tanks/ dreadnoughts etc

My current paint scheme is P3 Pigiron, black wash, highlight pigiron

Cheers

#3 · (Edited)
I think its fairly safe to say you would weather them the same way you would weather any other colour tank but its your choice of colour that will matter, as your dealing with silver i would go with a either black or white chips.
dust/mud/water would be as normal

about half way down the link page is a white tank turret that looks cool, white and silver are a good enough match to work.The dude used a soft pencil over the paint to produce the chipped effect, might have to give it a try, alot of millitary modelers use chalks,pastels and other weird things to get very real results.
http://www.modelersite.com/Jun2002/English/Weathering_Eng.htm

#4 ·
You might want to try stippling a dark brown where you want rust effects. Then, lightly stipple a bit of orange over that. You can also produce a "dirty" metal effect that seems slightly corroded and in need of polishing, but not necessarily rusty, by giving it a wash with Devlan Mud.

Showing chips in the paint is no different than on any other color, really. Make black marks on the model where the paint is to be chipped, and then paint inside that mark with the base color, and then highlight the interior edge of that with a lighter silver. As long as the black outline that's left is fairly thin, it'll look like a chip in silver paint, rather than some stray black pockmark on the model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.