Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Question about when to apply transfers

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Midge913 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a question about waterslide transfers.

Ive tried a few of the generic waterslides as tests. Now do you put them on before or after you spray on the paint protector stuff? I assume before but ive been wrong before.

#2 ·
I personally apply a coat of gloss varnish to the area I am going to apply the transfer too (especially curved surfaces), as this helps reduce any air bubbles getting trapped underneath.

As for applying protector to the whole model before aplying the transfers, this is a personal choice and makes very little difference, although you should apply the transfers before doing any weathering, and should use protective varnish after the weathering has been done.

#4 ·
I got my process from a modeling book goes like this

Prime it
Paint it
Varnish it (gloss)
decal it
Varnish it (matt)

Gloss varnish is much tougher than matt varnish so should be used to protect the paint job, plus as the ginger ninja said it provides the best surface to apply decals to

#7 ·
Personally I use a product from testors. It is a decal solvent that softens the decal so that it will sit more easily on a curved surface. I apply a small amount of it to the model then I apply the decal. other than this I follow the same finishing steps that the guys above use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.