Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Mud and Teeth

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Midge913 
#1 ·
Hey there,
I just want to get some feedback on my tanks and decals on them.

I love the idea of tanks romping across battlefields and churning up mud all over the place so i decided to give it a go. What do you think of the wet mud look that i have tried to achieve? Any C & C welcome. (I know i really need to put arms on the guy on top!!)

And the fluff for my army is all about living on a bear infested world so i had the idea of teeth as a decal for my army. I put some on my Vendetta. Again what do you think? Any Improvements? Also i want to put numbers on it but i cant decide on a font to freehand, any suggestions?

Thanks for looking.

See less See more
#5 ·
And the fluff for my army is all about living on a bear infested world
The single greatest planet in the universe.

As for the tanks, the ones with the trackguards look a lot better for some reason.

#7 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.

@ Stella Cadente: It has been washed with Devlan Mud but not highlighted. I felt that a highlight would make the mud look dry instead of the proper wet sludgy dogs mess that i was trying to get!!! It probably looks better than the photos suggest but i see what you mean and i'll try a highlight on my next chimera and post pics to see what you think.

@ bitsandkits: Great idea with the flock. Will definitely try that on the next couple of models and will try to get some onto these two tanks too.

@ aquatic_foible: I'll post the method tomorrow when i have a bit more time.

@ Scathainn: Dont mess with the bear world!!!! Yeah i like the track guards too. I have a demolisher with guards on so he is next, but i'm glad i tried without too.

@ Dave T Hobbit: Thanks I really never liked the teeth at the front but i did like the aquila decal on the wings in white dwarf. However i wanted something different and hey presto!

@someone who left me rep (sorry cant remember who it was!!) I specifically put much more mud on the back as i thought that it would reflect more mud being there than the front from the direction of the track movement.

Any thoughts on numbers/fonts??

Thanks Hocky

#8 ·
Any thoughts on numbers/fonts??
The Imperium appear to use a variety of serif typefaces. The Forge World etched brass numbers look similar to a Linotype so that might be a good basis for Googling(TM) a compatible set of numbers.

If you are not feeling like attempting freehand then most railway modelling and craft shops have a selection of transfers.

#9 ·
Looking good so far mate, I especially like the teeth pattern on the Valkyrie's wings.

#11 ·
Ok so here is the recipe for the mud.....

Mix polyfilla, water, PVA glue, sand and flock together into a big sticky mess!!!

Slap it on!!!!

Simple!

You can add Scorched brown to the mixture but you'll need alot of it, or you can paint the mud once it is on the model. Depends on your ratio of rich/lazy.

Once painted (i am not rich!) wash with Devlan mud. As Stella said then you can highlight - i didnt - and then cover all of the mud with water effects to make it wet looking.

I am now definitely gonna add some flock to give it a bit of realism - thanks bitsandkits!!

Teeth are just freehand and need lots of patience and loads of layers of thinned down Skull white.

#13 ·
The mud looks great! I think you have really pulled of a gross wet slop that your tanks are trudging through. I would agree that a few bits of grass would add to the overall effect.

I love the teeth on the Valks wings, I think you have done a suberb job with the freehand! :good: Maybe you could attempt to put the aquilla on the nose tip. May look really cool. + rep

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.