Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

What to use as Wolf Scouts?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Viscount Vash 
#1 ·
Hi there all,

I could use some opinions please.

I want some wolf scouts for my space wolves army. my favourite weapon for scouts is the sniper rifle, so I could just buy the sniper rifle scouts box but they don't look very wolfy, even with the scout heads from the space wolves box stuck on them.

so i was thinking of using Catachan jungle fighters. What do you think? my biggest worry is that they aren't really the same scale as a normal scout mini, so would they look wrong?

Has anyone got any better suggestions? I could modify the old space wolf scout minis maybe.

Rev

#2 ·
Go with the scout box, just stick loads of wolf tails on them. You can also use these pelts to make them more wolfish. There are also wolf pelt cloaks on there which I have bought myself, and they fit nicely on either the Termies or scouts. Along with a few SW chain swords, they'll do the business.

It'd take more work to convert catachans than it would the scout box. As an aside I'm not too keen on the scout heads in the SW box, some of the chaos marauder heads work a lot better.

#5 · (Edited)
I think you'll be looking at some degree of conversion.

Options for base models:
Vindicare Assassin
Vostroyan Snipers
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/c...=prod1070138&rootCatGameStyle=]Cadian Snipers

You've already seen the Catachans?

Of those, the Vindicare would seem to me to be the best conversion option.

Edit:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/c...t440176a&prodId=prod1060078&rootCatGameStyle=

These with green stuff to get the cloaks more wolf-pelty? You could always try taking Warhammer wolf heads and green stuffing them onto the shoulder pads too, that'd look pretty bad-ass.

#6 ·
jonkey - that's some pretty good tactical advice. with my other marine armies i normally just take 5 sniper rifles and try to do as much damage as possible before my scouts get hacked to pieces.

really i was looking for conversion advice, to get some really wolfy looking scouts.

Vast - there are some good options there, might take a look at those cadian snipers, the catachan snipers look ok too. my issue is that space marine scouts with wolf heads on still don't look that wolfy.

Might do a test model with the green-stuffed wolf cloak and see how it looks.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Rev

#10 ·
Have a beg at any O&G player who uses Goblin Wolf Riders or rummage a bits site, the command sprue has some wolf pelt cloaks (no heads though) and there are a fair few tails and teeth that can be cut from the shields in that box set.

Marauder heads are a good bet as mentioned before, all these bits would dress up the standard scouts well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.