Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

New Dark Eldar stuff

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Foxtale 
#1 ·
I had a similar thread on just the wracks and grotesques, but there were so many other ones I wanted to ask about so I thought I'd just start this one.

What kinds of ideas are floating around there for making the DE stuff that currently lack models? Wracks, Grotesques, Venoms, Cronos, etc? I'm not that familiar with what's out there and/or how these things should look yet.

#3 ·
You seem to forget that this is Dark Eldar we're talking about.

going from the list of new units HERE I can make a few suggestions:

Kabalite Trueborn: Anyone that can survive in noble Dark Eldar society is bound to be a total monster. consider hannibal-lecter style facemasks, more spikes, and inlays in the armor, either sculpted or painted.

Hekatrix Bloodbrides: take the standard Wych model, and bend and cut away for more movement.
add tattoos and scars.

Honestly, I haven't looked at any of the new DE stuff, so I'm not the person to ask, but I hope you can find something.

#4 ·
The Warmachine Cryx race seems to have some interesting opportunities, depending on how you like your styles...

In order:

Grotesque
Haemonculi/Wracks
Haemonculi
Mini-Talos (can't remember the name!)

#6 ·
I'm making Venoms out of Vyper Jetbikes :)

I'll be starting my first one this weekend and will drop some pictures on here.

As for Wracks, I'm messing around with building multi-armed Warriors. In fact, I'm hoping to be able to use a bunch of my old Warriors so I can replace them with the new ones (I have about 60 of the old variety). Again, when I have a better idea I'll post some pictures.

Whats bugging me the most are the Bomber and Fighter...

#7 ·
Well, going through what I've heard from others on forums (and what I've thought of myself)...

Beastmaster beasts (all on 40mm bases):
Clawed Fiends - as there are no pictures, paintings or photographs of these models, they can be whatever you want. They are described as towering hulks of muscle and fur, so Rat Ogres or Minotaurs are a good starting point. Add many claws to that from the Tyranid and Spawn sprues.
Khymerae - from the look of them in the codex, Dire Wolves with Spider rider heads and spider claws reaching out of their backs might work a charm. If you don't like wolves, try the Chaos Warrior hounds instead.
Razorwing Flocks - knife sharp feathers and beaks that parade around their prize. This is the one I see as most interesting. Start with a skeleton and have it suspended in the air by plasticard cutouts of birds. Paint the birds like shadows and have them swarm around it.

Scourges: warriors in perched positions (try salt-dipping to move the legs) with wings made from GS or from Sanguinary jump packs.

Court of the Archon:
Medusae - described as a floating brain and spinal cord that latches onto its victim. Simple brain greenstuff blob on the back of a kabalite or wych head, with the spinal cord stabbing into their own spinal cord. Then add a visor.
Lhamaeans - probably just a wych with seductive posing, pistol and whip.
Ur-ghuls - they're supposed to be whip thin, with no eyes, and rows of 'quivering scent-pits'. A lot of people are using ghouls, and covering their eyes with GS then putting holes in the GS.
Sslyth - serpent-bodied warrior fiends with two arms. I'd put these on 40mm bases, and use either Ravener bodies or use salt dipping to make Seekers of Slaanesh mounds (minus the boobies) work. Two sets of arms, remember.

Wracks: Some are using ghouls with face masks GSed on. I think the best would be to use flaggelant bodies with GS masks, then add plasticard and GS trophy/chemical racks to their backs. Use weapons from the wych sprues.

Grotesques: 40mm bases, either Rat Ogres or Minotaurs. Give them one big arm and one arm from the Chaos Knights box holding a weapon. Sculpt on a mask, rebreather, add tubing and syringe vials, enlarge their backs and add an extra spinal cord.

Pain Engines:
Talos - I've seen a lot of Wraithlord conversions. From the picture of the Talos, it looks like a Wraithlord head with the body reversed (so if it were standing up as a Wraithlord you would put it on upside down), floating (with a jetbike chassis), with the WL arms, with some of the arms replaced by drills and syringes. Don't forget to add the chains to the bottom. Its tail can be made using the legs.
Chronos - realistically, you could use the Talos as well. I plan on using a few odds and ends to make a praying mantis.

Venoms: generally, thoughts are to use Vipers, possibly with the Raider rudder blades on the sides, and spines all over.

Fighters and bombers: without a kit, this one might pose some problems. From looking at the picture in the codex... the main body of a falcon, but extended forwards through the gap between the front of the falcon with a raider body. Add the rudders from the Raider as the side wings. Use a grav weapon platform for the front tip. It'd take some serious converting though. Fly it on the Valkyrie base.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.