Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Out of the game for a while

664 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  theoncomingstorm 
#1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post in almost a year.

I havent painted anything in about the same amount of time.

I got an AOBR box like a week before i lost the will, its been collecting dust along with the 2 completed 1 partial minis from the box.

I just wonder how you guys get yourself back into the painting fray without getting too bored quickly, as i have a fairly short attention span, i have 1/4 of the masters of the chapter completed from when that box first came out and now i have almost an enite AOBR incomplete and kinda anoyed at it.

I get delusions of grandure and think of grandous plans that invariably need money which i dont have, damn crack addition (joke), na seriously its the price of xbox games that kills it for me, and ofc the lack of will to paint of i'd have my entir room full of mini's by now if i had the will.

so how do you guys fight off the cobwebs?

ToS

See less See more
#2 ·
Depends on the source of your boredom. Maybe the trick is to vary your painting. Sometimes the reward for painting some run of the mill troopers is to paint a special character or something. I try and alternate between my tanks and infantry and my guard and marines. Mix it around to keep the interest.

I have also found that when i have a heap of grey minis it is hard to get motivated with all thet work there in front of you to do. One thing that worked for me was to put all the painted stuff away where i cannot see it and only have the finished models on display.

If you are starting a new army that can be a bit hard. For my csms i did the first 30 minis in basic spray color and then very basic details. Armor trims, horns and boltgun metal weapons and left it at that. An Army to put on the table and you can come back later and do the detail. That worked for me.

One other thing that works for me. Read a 40K book. Allways brings back the interest. Only problem is that I read legion and I have alpha legion marines appear in my black legion force, Iron warriors for Storm of Iron and Rubrics from A thousand sons.

Just my thoughts, Hope it helps

#4 ·
I download audio books online then I play them as I paint. Though that's not really motivation, that just makes painting more enjoyable. It sounds like you have the same problem I have. I have a 7000+ SM army and I only have about 4 squads and a Chaplin painted. You're just overwhelmed with the amount of painting you have to do.
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING, until you finish what you have now. Start with the Chapter masters, to get them off your 'to paint list'. Then do the AOBR Dread, then the Capt, then the Termies and finally the Tact Squad. It's easier to paint when you do it in small sections. Then you won't feel overwhelmed and you'll feel like you accomplished something.

#5 ·
I have completed a few things before i got the AOBR box, 2 tactical squads and 1 scout squad, captain, chaplain and techmarine.

I do like to watch stuff when i paint, as listening to music is often (odd i know) not distracting enough, i enjoy painting but as lav25gunner said i am overfaced by the number of mini's on spru still whenever i open the box.

i am very ficle i like to buy things on a whim, like the techmarine because it was £2 on ebay and the chaplain because well chappys r cool as cool can be.

i may try some more painting once i have a job, might seem odd but with being unembployed it puts me off painting even more

#6 ·
One other thing, how do you feel about building/converting as compared to painting. Sometimes that works. Paint a squad and then knock up a conversion or something. That works for me in a big way. Scratch building is mega fun but painting can get me down.

#7 ·
I've always been wary of conversion work, i am too much of a perfectionist but i know i cant do stuff the way u lot can without practice, and that involves F.Ups, and i dont know if i could stand them lol, any properly fubar stuff could be called chaos or somthing nurgly. HAHA

truth be told, i wouldent know where to start, the biggest conversion i have done is on my chaplain, he is an oop BA chaplain with the halo thing, i chopped it off as i wanted just the skull, dont even own any greenstuff or similar, dont really know where to start, but some conversion sounds like a cool idea

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.