Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Washing my 'Nids

801 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  davespil 
#1 ·
I'm about to spend all weekend base coating and washing my 'Nids. I have a lot of them and they are all primed. I've got an airbrush and I'm base coating them all a 1:1 mix of Mordian Blue and Enchanted Blue. I will then use the airbrush to apply Asurmen Blue wash. The next step will to drybrush the models Enchanted Blue then a 1:1 mix of Enchanted Blue and Ice Blue. Is this the right way to do it? Should I apply the wash with an airbrush or is it better to use a brush? I have a large army I want to do in an assembly line fashion. Also, I will be painting the shells and weapons purple. Do I paint them after I'm done the drybrushing? Thank you.

#4 ·
I have used an airbrush for a lot of things, and if you're looking for a wash that pools in the recesses of the skin (kinda the point of a wash) you'll probably want to do it one of two ways...

1 - by hand which is going to suck
2 - dip and flick

Dip and flick involves getting a large amount of wash, literally submerging the model in the wash, then flicking it with your wrist after pulling it out. This gets the majority of the wash off, ensures an even coating, and leaves enough left on the model to ensure proper pooling for shadow effects. Yes, this takes a lot of wash.

I learned this technique second hand from a GW employee who was using dip and flick to make skeletons for a Tomb Kings army. He primed white, and actually used a Minwax stain to dip into. He got a ridiculous amount of skeletons done really fast and all he had to do was drybrush with some bleached bone/skull while to add a little extra contrast.

#7 ·
I'd recommend washing them at 40 degrees with a non-bio. Make sure you seperate the termagaunts from the hormagaunts or the colours will run.

I learned this technique second hand from a GW employee who was using dip and flick to make skeletons for a Tomb Kings army. He primed white, and actually used a Minwax stain to dip into. He got a ridiculous amount of skeletons done really fast and all he had to do was drybrush with some bleached bone/skull while to add a little extra contrast.
If you go to the army painter website, they sell big tins of 'dip' and have guides for painting tyranids using the dipping method. I've never used the dip, but it is apparently just big tins of stain and you can get it much cheaper elsewhere. Try PM'ing Son of Horus, i recall he wrote some really useful posts recently about dipping.

If you don't dip, then i'd go by hand. Despite lack of experience i can't see the airgun doing a decent job with a wash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.