Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Repainting over old paint

2K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  c013 
#1 ·
I was offered a good deal on a lot of blood angels, which are mostly painted completely. I was wondering how I would go about repainting over them? I want to do Flesh Tearers, so I'd change the helms/shoulders etc. I know I can't just drop it in thinner (plastic model wise) since it'd eat the model.

Would I be able to just re-base coat it?

#4 ·
It's called Simple Green and it's available in the US. Dettol works good too.

#5 ·
STOP!

Don't just paint over them without thinning them first.
You can use Simple Green, and it works pretty good, but the Concentrated Simple Green works at least twice as well.

You can get Concentrated Simple Green at Bunnings.

#7 ·
Sorry yes, had a blonde moment, its called simple green, it was like 10 for a bottle. As i am hopeless at brush care. I also use it to clean my brushes every 10 figures or so, so it really gets them clean.

You just have to remember to wash them out well after. The bottle has stripped undiluted for me, probably 20-30 figures, plus i have about 2 inches or so left that I use for brush cleaning at the moment.

Dettol unfortunately is a bit tougher to use. As you need to peel the stuff off with dettol still on them,

With the simple green, I use an old toothbrush, and scrub the paint off after 12 hours of soaking and run under warm water as I work. Anything left on the figure i use a toothpick and get the gunky stuff out.

Dettol unfortunately stinks.... I cleaned two old chimeras with it and it came off well enough, BUT, the paint goes cloggy as soon as u remove it from the dettol, so you have to work in the dettol itself to clean the figures. This makes you rather light headed after a bit.

There are plenty of good tutorials around for it, and a few even online here from memory.

If you want to see the results, all my pics in my 1889 project log, have been stripped using simple green or dettol, then repainted.

#8 ·
I personaly have never used Dettol but I have used Simple Green extensively.

Simple Green (In the US anyway) Can be bought at Walmart. It's around 5-10 dollars and found in the Automotives department (Hey, its used to wash your cars after all :p)

Use enough of the stuff to submerge your models in. Imagine a big green cube encasing your models and dump enough of the stuff in a pan or better yet, something you can close with an air tight seal. Just let it set for about 12 hours or so and go at it with a toothbrush and toothpicks.

The best thing about simple green is it's eco friendly, so you can dump it down the drain without fear. The paint should also be eco friendly aswell (As long as you use GW brand paint OR Vajello or whatever it is)

I have never used it with my brushes, Im going to have to try that, Water only works so well :)

#9 ·
as for repainting em, it depends on how there painted in the first place, have they been done in thin coats, to allow a repaint with out loseing detail, or is it thicker paint, if its thicker layers of paint, then your in danger of loseing any detail if you re-paint, so you may have to strip em first (just keep em clear of normal paint stripper, unless you want lots of chaos spawn.........lol)

#14 ·
If you're going to use dettol just soak it there for about 12 hours, especially if you're in the UK, it's cheap and readily available. I don't even dilute the stuff but i do recommend you strip the models to repaint them, i think it helps with the painting alot more. I stripped the paint from my chaos models and i've been repainting them with no problems. I believe simple green works just as effectively. Just remember your models will smell of dettol for a long time ;) i've gotten used to smell.... not sure that's a good thing lol.

#15 ·
I found Pine Sol also works well and isn't as harsh as Simple Green. I just do a 50/50 Pine Sol/water mix and leave them about 12-24 hours (depending on the number of layers of paint on there). Then use a soft toothbrush on them to remove the paint.
My plastic models didn't get soft like they did in the simple green and they all smelled like lemon for about 2 days afterwards. And who doesn't enjoy a nice lemon scent.

(Perfect for husbands to...you can spill some on the floor and claimed you cleaned up)

#16 ·
(Perfect for husbands to...you can spill some on the floor and claimed you cleaned up)
then they'll know your fibbing :biggrin:

Might have to look into this Simple Green..

#20 ·
Simple green is a godsend in paint removal. I spent about an hour last night removing paint from some second hand chaos space marines that came right off with the simple green.

It occurred to me while removing the paint that the previous owner of these minis must have bought them or been given them because of the horrific painting that he layered upon them. One of them was primed white, then base coated red (spray paint), then spray painted black on top of that.

#21 ·
Simple green doesn't work so well for me, don't know why.

Pine sol has always done the job for me, right away. But NOT on plastic, not straight up.

Pine-sol in a 50/50 solution with water works for plastic, but not soaking for more than 1-2 hours.

Simple green works, just requires a lot more scrubbing off. And never hurts the plastic.

#22 ·
It occurred to me while removing the paint that the previous owner of these minis must have bought them or been given them because of the horrific painting that he layered upon them. One of them was primed white, then base coated red (spray paint), then spray painted black on top of that.
Sounds like my chaos marines, except mine have another coat of primer, then blue spray on top of that. Oh, and they had green spray underneath from when they were dark angels.
Then theres my test marine. Hes just turning into a big blob of paint.

I find that paint thinner takes off spray paint in a minute or two with a bit of scrubbing. Do not leave plastic models in more than that, the paint thinner will take off more than paint. Paint thinner also does not work well on cidadel paint. I wouldnt recomend it, but it has worked for me when i cant get anything else.

#23 ·
Leave a model in the concentrated simple green for a few days in a covered container (to prevent fumes escaping) and then use a toothbrush and toothpicks to get the paint off, then wash it in hot soapy water.

Problem solved!

Also you can get concentrated simple green for about AUD$10 at bunnings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.