Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Catachans (and some Tau) pic heavy

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  mkmeye 
#1 ·
I set myself a challenge. PAINT EVERYTHING before buying any more stuff! These aren't finished. I still have some touch-ups to do but I'm happy with them for now and will go paint some other figs. There are mould lines on a few as I made them years ago and just sprayed the buggers. A few managed to slip through. Maybe I'll fix it.

So here are pics of my lava themed Catachan Devils squad:

Bases are red gore and fatigues are blazing orange. I think I'll either wash teh orange to make it darker or I'll DPM the cloth up a bit. Maybe get some terracotta in there or something. They are a one off squad. I might do a sentinel and a diorama base. Not sure.

I'm pleased with the sarge

And this guy, his leg is hidden by the gun

The orange was a bitch to paint. Really uneven but on a white undercoat would be just silly.

Another Catachan Regiment:
Vet medic for command group

Sargent have Ork shoulder pads to make them stand out since they have lasguns.

I'm going to do this guy's hair grey but don't have the suitable paints to do that yet. I really like these heads. They're sweet. My Cadian force has a pirate head eyepatch-wearing veteran in it.

Now just a few pics of test trial Tau. I undercoated these fools black and the white was also a bitch to paint. I like how they've turned out but I'll have to black the eye pieces up and use a white undercoat on the rest. They're an urban army from the Ke'lshan sept. Their sept colour is orange which doesn't fit the fluff but I just love orange. Oh and I don't like the rubbish shoulder pads so I'm not using them. Anyway, pics:

Hope you like 'em. C&C welcome (and encouraged). I'm getting better but there's still a lot of room for improvement.:victory:

See less See more
#3 ·
hey there, good to see you started your tau! i have to say, to stop the 'blotchy' look(no offence) is by not painting over the bits that seperate the armour, i would leave them black, if you did the chances are you'll start coming closer to painting white :) it just comes with practice, i know how it feels, i paint yellow/white on my nids now :p just remember to add water, plus a little rep for giving it a try :)

#4 ·
Cheers you guys. I'll take on board what you both have said. I've just started to thin paints here and there. I'll go back to them and touch them up.

@ fatmantis: Yeah, I think I might do a wash. I think the flash makes it look greener than it is though. Its goblin green. Pretty green though mind.

@hugor1: Cheers. I know what you mean about the blotchyness. I'm going to go back and paint the cracks so they're black and the neck pieces black. I think I'll try a white undercoat but painting black is also a bastard. I'll have to find out which I hate painting the least. Black on white or white on black :)

#5 ·
im doing the same thing Piemaster, i still have around 15 imperial guardsmen, 12 necron warriors, 3 scarab swarms and i seriously need more glue to finish them with!
So im not gettin very far at the moment, once im finished though i should hope for a hell of a lot of a sense of achievement, because if i dont ill be more than annoyed!

#6 ·
Keep at it mate. I know how you feel about having shitloads of stuff to paint. I find it hard to lavish detail and my best skills(even though they aren't all that great) on the rank and file troopers that i have hundreds of. I get to the point where i am glad they are painted even of some of them suck big time.
Yours however are comming along nicely. I can understand the problem with the white. In my whole collection there are 4 yellow things. All shoulder pads. They pissed me off so much in the end I went and painted them gray.

Keep it up.

By the way. Try using baddab black to define the armor gaps. It might be easier as it will run and follow the groove better.

#8 ·
Cheers for the advice. I can't believe what a plank I've been. I have a pot o' Badab black in my paints stash! It'll definitely have to come out next time. Well, here is the finished squad. I got a hold of some plasticard corrugated iron for their bases - to match the urban theme a bit. I would have liked one or two on entire plasticard bases but glued these babies ages ago. Next squad fo' sho'. Thanks for the advice you guys.

Pics:
Shas'ui - I'm going to redo his face when I have a batch of them so that I don't have to make up a new batch of flesh tone. For now this will do. I'll also have to go over his bonding knife.

Bases

Squad

#9 ·
Pretty good job. Some of the white paint on the Tau seemed a little smudgy and incomplete, unless that was what you were going for. Otherwise great work!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.