Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

40K Tzeentch

21K views 53 replies 25 participants last post by  Dave T Hobbit 
#1 · (Edited)
I am feeling as if I have had my own Chaos Warband Quest to get here.

First the descent into the vasty deeps to raid the Clart Horde for my wife's old digital camera.

Secondly, a search for the Charged Batteries of Compatibility.

Then, starting a dawn, quested I across the house seeking a location with soft yet strong light.

Finally, as promised some photographs of my models:

Soullgrinder, which doubles as a Defiler.

CSM Daemon Prince

Thousand Sons Rhino

Sadly but unsurprisingly ,as I have not used a camera in anger for years, none of the other pictures came out at all well.

As my wife's photographs with her shiny new digital mobile actually look like things, I might suggest photographing my models is (i) artistic and (ii) something we could do together.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good work man, have some rep.

#3 ·
...As my wife's photographs with her shiny new digital mobile actually look like things, I might suggest photographing my models is (i) artistic and (ii) something we could do together....
In the unlikely event :grin: this cunning plan fails, I should probably have a back up plan. Anyone point me at a good article/site for troubleshooting digital photography, so I can minimise spending valuable painting time on more random experimentation.

#4 · (Edited)
well, I'm not exactly a pro when it comes to photographing mini's I do have some tips for you:

Use a white sheet of paper and hold it like this: (quick example made on paint :p )

this way you'll have a nice background for photographing, and it makes the mini's pop out a little better.

Next is the lighting:
Use a daylight lamp, with a sheet of paper hanging in front of it to dim it down a little. (don't put the paper straight on the lamp, because the lamp might get hot!!!) This gives a very good light to photograph with.

last but not least: use the miniature mode (a flower icon) on you camera. (dont know wether your camera has it, or wether you've used it, but this one really reveals a lot of details on a photo.)

when using those hints you'll probablly get a photo like this one (I used mij Nokia N95's camera for this one :))

I know it still isn't perfect, but it sure looks good, and the background isn't very distracting :) (and the shadow on the background makes him looks a little more evil IMO, but you can Photoshop that away if you want ;)

Now on to the mini's:

I really like the mini's you have! The only thing I don't really like is the soul grinder's head, it just looks too small IMO.

I do have a question: which head did you use for the Daemon Prince??? And which wings? They look very nice

#6 ·
Thank you all for your comments.

I might even summon the will to try photographing again.

...Use a white sheet of paper... this way you'll have a nice background for photographing, and it makes the mini's pop out a little better....
I tried that first; as I live in the basement I could not find an indoor light source that gave any contrast without the flash, and everything washed out with the flash on:angry:, so the pictures are taken outside ni the garden, where my sheet of paper blew away!

...Use a daylight lamp, with a sheet of paper hanging in front of it to dim it down a little. (don't put the paper straight on the lamp, because the lamp might get hot!!!) This gives a very good light to photograph with....
Good idea.

...use the miniature mode (a flower icon) on you camera. (dont know wether your camera has it, or wether you've used it, but this one really reveals a lot of details on a photo.)....
It does; I found that after the first round of failures and thought it would solve all my problems; I have a horrible feeling the camera just has a really long lower focal bound.

...I don't really like is the soul grinder's head, it just looks too small IMO....
That might be an issue with the photograph. It is actually the head from the kit; I remounted it in the centre of the body as an homage to the old style Horrors.

...which head did you use for the Daemon Prince??? And which wings? They look very nice
They are both from a Wood Elf War Hawk.

Love the soulgrinder/defiler, how did paint the daemon flesh? It's awesome! Like the twisting and warping Tzeentch feel it has too.
The flesh is
  1. Black undercoat/primer
  2. Ultramarine Blue over all of it
  3. Enchanted blue leaving UM Blue showing in recesses
  4. 2:1 Enchanted Blue/Ice Blue mix leaving some Enchanted Blue showing
  5. 1:1 Enchanted Blue/Ice Blue mix on the edges of areas I wanted to stand out
  6. dots/thin lines of Ice Blue to accentuate
  7. wash of Asurmen Blue

#7 · (Edited)
Having just about hacked the really precise fixed focal length on the camera a few (hopefully) better pictures.

First, a view of my pet Space Puppy:

One of my other Spawn:

Depending on my mood either a Terminator Champion or Sorcerer Lord:

More Terminators:

The other Defiler:

And some mutant Chosen:

Two Lightning Claws

Power Weapon

Body of a Flamer

#9 ·
...If you can.... try and crop the pictures so that it focuses on the mini. If you don't have the software I would suggest either Irfanview or Gimp....
Good call. GIMP is really easy to use.

Amazed at how much better they look just with cropping.

...You are making progress on the photo front :)....
Thank you.

This reminds me why I gave up photography though; the judging distances by eye, focusing on the appearance of things instead of their value, half an inch making the difference between success and failure... hang on a second... :fool:

#10 ·
In my WIP, I have a bunch of pictures taken by a moderately cheap digital camera.

The way I do it is simple: 1. get good lightning (I use Florescent lights) 2. get a tripod to steadyness. 3. turn the flash off, and small object mode on, and 4. find a way to open the camera shutter. if your camera auto adjusts aslong as the shutter is open abit more to take in more light, it will make the models come out much crisper. It took me practice on how to get the models coming out perfectly in the pics though, since is the camera shakes while you open the shutter more, it will blur the pics.

#12 ·
These are some truly stunning models mate, I love the converted soulgrinder, and your birdhead terminator, but my favourite has got to be your Daemon Prince. Arguably its best aspect is the contrast between the dark blue armour, and the green/yellow of the wings.

Having built so much in the way of Nurgle and Slaneesh recently, I'm branching out to the other two Chaos gods, and currently focusing on Tzzentch, so any tips or ideas you've got would be welcome.

#13 ·
The biggest problems I found were:
  1. Avoiding too much change; good individual models do not always gel as a squad, so make sure there is a theme to the army and a theme to the squad.
  2. Avoiding comical mutations; spawn arms are a case in point, bits that looked really creepy on the sprue looked like children's cartoon bad guys when I put them on the model, so I always dry-fit my changes first.

To try and keep it consistent, I came up with a few starting rules for my army based on my view of Tzeentch as change and subtlety:
  1. To emphasise Change everything apart from Thousand Sons has a conversion/part swap
  2. As these are a regimented force that had mutated, the armour colour scheme would be consistent (dark blue, gold), with mutations/detailing having a few common colours (green, pink, bright purple)
  3. Tzeentch is fluid not tearing, so minimal spiky bits and horns. Where possible, any horns would be ridged warm bone rather than smooth
  4. Trophies are a fixed view of the past, so I would avoid skulls and racks where possible.
  5. Bright colours and no weathering, to give a magical look.

Bits-wise, the Spawn and Possessed sprues are a great start, as is the Arcane Books pack. However, to add personality, going through every single model in every single army on the GW site, with the question "How would I change that to fit my army?" turns up some surprising ideas.

Also, Tzeentch does not have to make mechanical sense; consider how else you might achieve a goal: instead of a special weapon, a flaming mouth; instead of a mammalian physiology, an arachnid. Try to come up with a list of crazy alternatives and put it somewhere you can add (but never delete) and review at will, then make a smaller list of the ones you can think of how to build/paint and start with those.

#15 ·
Quite nice....
Quite nice! Talk about damning with faint praise!:grin:

I can't help but feel that a little bit brighter highlights would really work a charm however
The highlights are brighter in person; these are some of my earlier attempts at photographs so it is not as clear.

Of course - apart form the Soul Grinder - they were also all painted some time ago, so are slightly less skilled than my current work.:wink:

#18 ·
Those are some awesome minis. I love the Soul Grinder and your Daemon Prince is awesome. You did a lot of excellent converting on these models. +rep

#22 · (Edited)
Sir you have made the best daemon prince conversion my eyes have ever seen. While the painters down at gamesworkshop think they are great with their new plastic kit, the real genius is in models like your daemon prince that are unique and one of a kind, and i bet if you submitted a nice picture the gamesworkshop website you'd make on the Whats new today, they've shown some other cool conversions but this one is better than most

#23 ·
Sir you have made the best daemon prince conversion my eyes have ever seen.While the painters down at gamesworkshop think they are great with their new plastic kit, the real genius is in models like your daemon prince that are unique and one of a kind....
Many, many thanks.

Comments like that makes up for the effort seem worthwhile.

...i bet if you submitted a nice picture the gamesworkshop website you'd make on the Whats new today, they've shown some other cool conversions but this one is better than most
Sending some of my work in had never occurred to me. I might have to borrow a better camera (and possibly a better cameraman:wink:)

#26 ·
I rather enjoy your lord of change-esque Daemon Prince conversion and do think its quite apropos for Tzeentch.
Thank you.

Might I recommend a kroot head or two for your normal marines?
I do not find Kroot heads beaked enough to make overcoming the problem of fitting the crest around the backpack worthwhile.

However, I do have an unpainted Terminator with a Kroot-hound head that got packed away when I decided to focus on my Warriors of Chaos, so that will come out at some point.

#29 ·
Dave, i cant believe i've only just come across your 40k army, it looks amazing! i too particularly like the daemon prince, the old metal model looked god awful but i think you've made it just that bit different enough to look awesome but not too different if you get what i mean? :laugh:

The freehand on the rhino is also pretty damn good, i really like that emblem thingy on the top hatch, and its the retro rhino! even better!

The reaper autocannon on your defiler strikes me as a little odd though, i think it might have looked better in a nurgle themed army, but im not sure i like the muscle on a tzeentch paint scheme, just my opinion though, i dont mean to offend :p

Either way a brilliant looking army, well rep worthy!

#30 ·
Dave, i cant believe i've only just come across your 40k army, it looks amazing! i too particularly like the daemon prince, the old metal model looked god awful but i think you've made it just that bit different enough to look awesome but not too different if you get what i mean? :laugh:
Thank you.

The freehand on the rhino is also pretty damn good, i really like that emblem thingy on the top hatch, and its the retro rhino! even better!
I bought the three Rhinos in a Box deal when it came out, which I think makes me old.

The reaper autocannon on your defiler strikes me as a little odd though, i think it might have looked better in a nurgle themed army, but im not sure i like the muscle on a tzeentch paint scheme, just my opinion though, i dont mean to offend :p
I am not offended at all; Chaos is very much a matter of opinion.

I based it on the original Horror Champion (the big head with three muscled arms and a big tail) so the possession matched my horrors squad.

#37 ·
I entered a Tournament last month using my Thousand Sons. In honour of the new Codex I added some new units to the army from the rather spiffing Dark Vengeance box set.

Helbrute

I am not fond of the face peering through teeth motif, so I converted the sarcophagus to look more like a maw. I also removed the long horns from the smaller mouth on the side.

Close Combat Cultists

As cultists die in droves I decided to use a quick colour-wash-colour technique. To add variation I reversed the colour of trousers and jackets on the duplicate miniatures.

I was away when the codex was released and quite busy afterward so mostly focussed on getting them painted. however, I did manage to add a little variety by weapon swapping the lug-nuts and barbedwire.

#40 ·
Your helbrute is a cool colour combo, and your army looks to be very unified in theme which is good. Personally, I like my Tzeentch blue base colour much lighter and the borders more gold than brass, but all in all you have a good thing going there.

#41 ·
#43 ·
Looking good Dave, digging the cultist especially.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.