Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

how not to build a valkyrie

15K views 39 replies 31 participants last post by  imm0rtal reaper 
#1 ·
I impulse bought a Valkyrie when they were first released
it had been sitting on my shelf for quite a while before i realized something.
I don't want a Valkyrie.

with more and more apoc players taking to the skies i thought of buying a thunderbolt fighter from forgeworld, i had eyed it over in the past but had never taken it seriously, mainly because it look about as capable at flying as a thunderhawk:laugh:

and after eying the Valkyrie sprues over

i thought hey, what the hell

and here are some pictures

I know thunderbolts are meant to look more heavily armored, but i also know rhinos are meant to fit 10 space marines

attempted close up, the canopy is removable

I thought it deserved a fairly dramatic base, so Ive modeled some assault marines sprinting across the field with a teleport homer as a last ditch effort to get some terminators on the field

It is magnetized and fully removable from its base

sorry about the picture quality

minimal cutting of parts, just for the tailfins

ive plasticarded a few pieces together, though i probably didnt have to

and a healthy dose of bitz for effect

Thanks for looking:biggrin:

See less See more
#5 ·
sorry, i didnt take any work in progress pics, but if i find some pics of the sprues ill give a rundown using pictures

#6 ·
That's pretty damn impressive. I had to do a double take to see it was made from a valk.

#12 ·
thanks everyone
to tell you the truth i was unsure whether it would work or not, a made it up as i went along
im actually surprised i found all the bits to make one in a valkyrie kit

it has been undercoated

im still unsure how to paint it, i know i have a pension for painting things that are not blood angels as red anyway

im thinking a black stealthbomber esc type deal

will take suggestions

#13 ·
That is very cool to bad you didn't take any progress shots because it would have been great to see how this was made.

#15 ·
Fuck me thats awesome. To be honest when i saw the first shot for a moment i thought it was a fw model for comparison. I am so going to do this, it is a brilliant conversion, as soon as this gets around there will be thunderbolts everywhere. Truly great work. Rep+

#18 ·
anyone have any good painting schemes?
I really like to see mouths with teeth on the sides of aircraft... or women... whichever.

Kind of like this AH-64

Or the pin-ups you get on ww2 bombers and the like? Your call really.

#20 ·
I see what you mean. Which armies are you flying alongside with? I would imagine Blood Angels, so you'd need something that fits in but is a bit different. If that's the case and it was me, I'd go for white with red trim/decals. But you were wanting a black/stealth fighter style. Maybe you could keep it black but paint flames along the tail/engines or something?
Its still a really cool build.

#26 ·
am i doing it wrong?
or is everyone whos ever bought a valk kit doing it wrong :D

#28 ·
That is awesome! Excellent conversion and orginallity!

You could do black lined with red, I've seen some stealth stuff done like that and it looks cool. Plus it would tie in with you blood angles.

Really great work!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.