Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Orkish truck.

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  dirty-dog- 
#1 ·
here goes a couple of ideas and questions for the ork nob's out thea.

First off, would it be sufficiant to buy this kit for making into a ork warbuggy and a armoured cabed truck to count as armour plates?

second, where the hell am i supposed to get ammo runts and ork drivers?

third, how did that guy in white dwarf manage to make the ork half track?

4th, has anybody got ideas for turning a rhino into a gun wagon? a tutorial would be nice if possible. oh and once again i need more orkish drivers.

im planning on getting a few vehicles for my mechanised ork force.

so far i have scratch built 2 ork trucks. one looks like the older edition one and one is definitly a scratch built one. imagine flat bed with added orkish stuff and you have a good idea about it.

but anyway, thanx in advance for any tips, info or critisizm.....

See less See more
#2 ·
here goes a couple of ideas and questions for the ork nob's out thea.

First off, would it be sufficiant to buy this kit for making into a ork warbuggy and a armoured cabed truck to count as armour plates?
The Trukk might be a little big for a warbuggy, but I could certainly see it as a basis for one. Cut it off so it only has four wheels, use the trukk bed armor plates to semi-enclose the cab, it could work.

second, where the hell am i supposed to get ammo runts and ork drivers?
Well, you could try a bits site like The War Store but they;re charging about 6 bucks for the driver models. The Big Shoota kit from the Lootas box comes with an ammo runt in a backpack, but I wouldn't worry too much since ammo runts aren;t an upgrade option for ork vehicles. If you want Grot Riggers, just find some gobbos and give them wrenches.

third, how did that guy in white dwarf manage to make the ork half track?
No clue, didn't see it. You got a pic you cna post of it?

4th, has anybody got ideas for turning a rhino into a gun wagon? a tutorial would be nice if possible. oh and once again i need more orkish drivers.
1: Take a Rhino
2: Fuck it up
3: Stick on some Orks

For my Rhinork it was literally a matter of damaging, cutting up and orktifying a rhino. There's not really anything a tutorial can tell you...it's really hard to fuck up an Ork conversion, because Ork vehicles are already pretty fucked up looking.

I cut off all the little track wheels and then just jammed some hige chunky toy wheels inside there. They were too thick, so the back end ended up split open a bit, but I patched that with orkish duct tape...literally, just thin plastic strips made to look like gaffing tape.

For drivers...if you cna conceal the lower half then you don't need anythign special. Any old ork torso stuffed into a hole makes for a good driver. Neither the gunner nor driver have any legs here.

The driver on my Chimerork is just a head and and an arm

my Trhino Wagon's driver's just a torso, basically. Tried giving him legs but theyd idnt; fit, Ended up cutting so much off they may as well not have been there

You can also see the rigger I made there. It's just the grot from the warbiker nob's bosspole, with his club turned into a hammer.

Or if you have the room, just have the bugger standing up.

Seats are for wusses.
Biker handlebar arms makr good control arms.
Or cobbble a warboke into the vehicle to act as a control saddle.

There's really no wrong way to build an ork vehicle

im planning on getting a few vehicles for my mechanised ork force.

so far i have scratch built 2 ork trucks. one looks like the older edition one and one is definitly a scratch built one. imagine flat bed with added orkish stuff and you have a good idea about it.

but anyway, thanx in advance for any tips, info or critisizm.....
You should post some pics of what you have so far, I;d love to see it.

#9 ·
1: Take a Rhino
2: Fuck it up
3: Stick on some Orks
Goodlord Gal, glad I was not drinking something, for some reason this just tickled me, for 2 reason, it is hilarious, and it is SO very true on how to make an Ork truck from a Rhino. Both of your scratch built and kit bashed models seriously have ne eyeing Greenskins which is dangerous since I like 5 digit armies and I do not think my house is large enough for that make orks.

#4 ·
by using an ork truck to make a warbuggy i mean use bits off it to make it like gunner and driver, ive already got wheels for it and plenty of materials to make a scratch build and then i was going to convert a cab for the truck so its a 2 birds with one stone deal.

well, heres what ive got.

a skullhammer

a scorcha with armour plates

a ork truck with rokit launcha and armour plates (armoured cab)

(at the moment its tl but this one will be going on a buggy and another will be made)

a ork trukk with a big shoota (not pictured)

its got alot of plates and orky bits to add to it, another reason for the ork trukk kit.

i also have an in progress battlewagon but at the moment its the base of the truck that i pulled the deck off of for the first truck, with a kill kannon and a grabin claw, and some really basic construction.

hope that helps.

p.s gal by ammo runts i mean for more than just the trukks, and i will be making some riggers, i have some old hero quest gobo'z that i can use.

#5 ·
Very nice work! I always admire totally scratchbuilt projects.

The ork trukk is a wealth of good bits for use on other projects. I can easily see it behing applicable to buggies.

As to the wagon, I'm not sure if the trukk chasis is going to be big enough for what you need. I like to shoot for Land Raider or larger when it comes to wagon size...Leman Russ at the smallest for an 'ard Cased non-transport model

As for ammo runts, there's the backpack one I mentioned, otherwise just gobbos + missiles and bullets. A little GS rucksack with some rockets or ammo belts hanging out, tie some ammo cans to his waist, that kinda deal

#6 · (Edited)
how about a rhino with added size?

tottaly emptied out, as i would be using the looted wagon rules with a boom gun, armour plates and afore mentioned ard case.

if i made it more of a mortar than a kannon, and put that inside the rhino where the hatches go, the put 2 big shoota's at the front, controlled by gobbo's (think DOW style buildings) with a little bit of armour and ad gubbins around it? would that work?

with the buggy ill be making a base with wheels and adding mud gaurds along with the gunner/driver models, and building from there.

thanks for your help gal, its appreciated, and i was kinda hoping you would too, being the big mek that you are.

#7 ·
how about a rhino with added size?

tottaly emptied out, as i would be using the looted wagon rules with a boom gun, armour plates and afore mentioned ard case.

if i made it more of a mortar than a kannon, and put that inside the rhino where the hatches go, the put 2 big shoota's at the front, controlled by gobbo's (think DOW style buildings) with a little bit of armour and ad gubbins around it? would that work?
If you're going for Looted Wagon then yeah, a Rhino is fine. Smaller the better...those things are flimsy as shit so small target is good, and it's got the same AVs as a rhino.

I thought you were talking about a Battlewagon, in which case, like I said, you'll want something that looks at least a little beefy.

I like the idea of having a mortar sitting in the back bed of the rhino, but I'm not sure how that would work with the LOS issues in the new edition, not to mention the fact it would be fixed forward pretty much.

What might be better is using the razorback turret plate and cobbling together some sort of turret to stick the gun in.

with the buggy ill be making a base with wheels and adding mud gaurds along with the gunner/driver models, and building from there.
Sounds like a solid (by which I mean properly rickety) base.

thanks for your help gal, its appreciated, and i was kinda hoping you would too, being the big mek that you are.
Glad I coould help some.

#8 ·
i see what you mean by the moter idea. mybe i could make it more of a raised peice on a swivel? for los i would just measure from the heads of the orks and they will be in a position for more los, basiclly like a turret.

i might get the razorback kit just because it allso comes with the rhino frame, and to be honest, thats all i need.

How Do you like the skullhammer?

i still have to paint the tracks though.....

#10 ·
i see what you mean by the moter idea. mybe i could make it more of a raised peice on a swivel? for los i would just measure from the heads of the orks and they will be in a position for more los, basiclly like a turret.
A raised swvel would work too. anything that gets the gun up out of the back and in a position to pivot around. Unfortunately, you have to measure LOS from the gun barrel, not the gunners. so measuring from the orks won;t work.

i might get the razorback kit just because it allso comes with the rhino frame, and to be honest, thats all i need.
For this build, the Rhino has all you really need (it has the turret ring top plate), but if you have the couple extra bucks, the Razorback is a good idea. It comes with a lovely extra options sprue, and more bitz is a good thing, even if you don't use them on this build

How Do you like the skullhammer?

i still have to paint the tracks though.....
Yes indeed, it's very impressive!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.