Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

female marines painting/modelling

3K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  hungryugolino 
#1 ·
I know some one has probably covered this before but what do you lot think to the idea of female marines. I'm not asking about whether it's possible in fluff terms, but what do you guys think about it as in painting and modelling opportunities and if you have female marines then how did you go about making them. what parts did you use etc. Ok guy thats my little offering what do you think. Peace

#2 · (Edited)
Urgh, personally I've never ever liked this idea...BUT that's the great thing about this hobby- you can personalise it as you see fit even if it goes against all the canon:wink:. Anyhow, seek and ye shall find. Check out http://www.fightingtigersofveda.com/index.htm lots of what you want there.

Hope that helps.

El

#3 ·
Aren't female space marines called Sisters Of Battle.

In terms of modeling not sure if you would see much of a difference besides maybe a different head if they weren't wearing helmets. Unless you plan to make make a new design of the MK armour

#4 ·
Technically and physically I wouldn't call them Space Marines for a couple of reasons.

1.) They do not go through to psycho, gene, and physical conditioning to make their bodies super human.

2.) They do not live/operate on space fleets.

That's my reasoning, anyway.

#5 · (Edited)
I suppose you might if you found a suitable candidate, however, I would imagine that as the candidate would receive the geneseed of a male it would fuck up her own genetic material. I'm obviously not a genetist, but I imagine this would have serious repercussions. If the candidate hadn't gone through puberty, would they develop female organs? Would the Apothacary just lop off the bits that don't serve a useful purpose?

Edit. Whoops. I got all carried away there.

#6 ·
@ Trigger; mate, this isn't the "Fluff" forum. It's painting and modelling, and the thread is labelled "painting/modelling". It's tips he's after. Just like Morfangdakka's excellent looted carnifex ("what? how?"), or the guy who painted the Khornate deamons blue ("but Bloodletters are red!"), we're allowed to leave fluff objections at the door.

@ Thunder Ravens; various companies do some women in power armour. Hasslefree (for definite) and I think maybe Reaper and Heresy. But you won't find many of them. There's always Sisters models, but of course they're a) about as expensive as you can get with minis; b) a bit limited as there aren't many troop types available; and c) already Sisters, which might be a bit confusing for some people. None of these are insurmountable obstacles, but they do throw up difficulties.

Sorry, that's all I've got. There may be other games out there with power-armour-equivalent women... good luck!

:interested in how this plays out cyclops:

#7 ·
I am quite convinced should GW ever do Plastics for the Sisters, we will see more than the odd one Female Marines force. :)

Persoanlly if and should it happen I'll be up there with em, although mine will probably end up beeing Slaaneshi Marines. :biggrin:

Although I does ponder, is that part of the reason they haven't. Hmmmm.

#9 ·
Well other than female heads on space marine bodies I don't see many opportunities. Maybe painting pink power armor with hearts and the song "I'm just a love machine" playing in the back gound but other than that they probably would not look different than regular marines until they pulled their helmets off.

Thick power armor is going to keep the "female" parts from being distinguished. May the emperor protect the boobies.

#11 · (Edited)
Well other than female heads on space marine bodies I don't see many opportunities. Maybe painting pink power armor with hearts and the song "I'm just a love machine" playing in the back gound but other than that they probably would not look different than regular marines until they pulled their helmets off.

Thick power armor is going to keep the "female" parts from being distinguished. May the emperor protect the boobies.

there was a thread on here called cadians with 30% more females or something like that. he brought an upgrade kit from somewhere that had female heads and what not, ill search the forums and put a link up when i find it...........

ah, found it, clicky

#12 ·
Okay. Beyond fluff... and actual military application. If one was looking to do something with females in a mixed gender military force all that would be required would be head swaps. I recommend eldar and wood elves, as they are the only GW lines with a variety of female heads. The idea of modeling 'boob armor' on a mixed gender force is righ out. No military force I am familiar with has ever done such a thing for many good reasons. On top of that as far as I know (which I admit is not all inclusive) the only major scifi 'worlds' that have ever modeled such a thing are 40k and Dune, and I'm pretty sure SoBs are just someone it the days of old saying 'Dude, we should have fish-speakers'. That being said, Rock it out. I remember seeing some awsome, if not oddly tall female space wolf models years back at in Golden Demon. One of the most imprtant rules of the hobby, even stated in most of the rule books is 'have fun with it, and don't be afraid to bend the rules'.

#13 ·
the problem with GW's female models is that the heads look to small on power armour. Thanx for the insight though guys, I think i'm going to go with power armour covers all approach with some head swaps, if anyone is interested in doing this i'd reccomend getting hold of some old mourning wolves from the warzone game by target games. There not easy to find but the scale is perfect. The heads fit spot on with a little green stuff to cover the joints. Im working on some vanguard/sternguard veterans using this method. I'll post them in the gallery when their finished.

#17 ·
you could always buy dark eldar models and charity the bodies to someone via mail, like me >.> :p that way you get your feminine heads and I can put more bodies on my field XD

#16 ·
Ive been a 40K player now sents 1989. I was first attracted to the game by the old chaos renegades ( Rogue Trader) and then through the years by the Space Wolves and all the other wonderful miniatures GW has created for their fantasy-full games.
Now for the BUT.....
But ,I cannot tell you or put into words just how disappointing it is to read, see, and hear just how fantasy deprived some of the 40K players are.
The game was designed to allow a player to build his or her army in their own immage using their immagination. If that means someone wants female marines or orks for that matter then "More Power to You". Its your fantasy, your ideas, your army and last but not least your money to spend.... so go for it !!
I've personnaly built female space marines for my Chaos and Space Wolf armies and am in the prossess of designing new and differant female bodies for a future project.
As a last note ..... to all you true fluff-ers out there, GW is on your side in as much as they will never make female SM's.
To all the others ...... take your fantasy to its limits and build, paint, and play to your hearts and heads content.

#19 ·
alot would be determind by the level of ability of the person making the army, If it was just a simple kit bash using normal marines i wouldnt bother as you likely to struggle finding enough human female heads, but if you were to change the appearance of the power armour to look more like say the sanginor or sanginary guard (sculpted statuesque plates etc) you could do a an awesome female marine

#20 ·
I found some place showing how to make female models out of eldar! So if you want space marines that is clearly feminine, use a part of the eldar female torsos, just cut of belly, and the thing on their backs, then you get the upper torso! Need some greenstuffing and such!

#21 · (Edited)
Ok as someone who has contemplated the idea of female marine building here are some obvious tips.

1. Avoid actually putting breasts on the armor seriously its just a bad idea.
2. Ascent the high area of the armor by shaving down the lower sections and building up the top sections of the legs.
3. Find ways to reduce the bulk of the model. Try trimming down the lower chest plate or reducing the size of the shoulder puldrons.
4 Look at the attached image.

Note the attached images are from other hobbyist, I just draw on them as the ideal for female SM conversions.

#22 ·
Ok as someone who has contemplated the idea of female marine building here are some obvious tips.

1. Avoid actually putting breasts on the armor seriously its just a bad idea.
2. Ascent the high area of the armor by shaving down the lower sections and building up the top sections of the legs.
3. Find ways to reduce the bulk of the model. Try trimming down the lower chest plate or reducing the size of the shoulder puldrons.
4 Look at the attached image.
the one on the right is fecking awesome!

#25 ·
Samus Aran doesn't count since other M came out. After all real space marines don't ask their boy friends if they can use their damn wargear!

#27 ·
@LukeValentine: She does count cos she kicks ass on her own with out no other bloody M Pfft!!
(Not actually seen anything about Other M yet to be honest, Mainly because its on Wii or whatever which is stupid, Give me a GameCube and Prime/Prime2Echoes any day)

@Varakir: >_> <_< I knew that... Honestly... >_> <_<

SGMAlice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.