Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

how do you use green stuff

931 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  rtthg6 
#1 ·
do i have to mix the yellow and blue stuff or what do i do?

#2 ·
Yeap mix the two of them together and keep mixing them, make sure to wet your fingers especially if the GS is a bit old. Making sure stuff isn't cold also helps, I'm not saying put in a microwave but maybe a little bit of warm water helps. Leave it to sit for about 5 minutes and then begin to work with it. I tend to keep the mixtures about the same ratio but some people tweak them slightly to adjust drying times, more of one makes it longer to cure and more of the other makes it quicker, sorry I can remember which is which, maybe yellow for longer but somebody will have to confirm.

Keep your sculpting tool wet or use a bit of Vaseline on it. I used to use Vaseline but now I use water, just a personnel preference really. This keeps it from sticking to the tool and coming away. Also try and keep you fingers away from it while you are working as this will smear it and then you have to go back through and redo it all.

#4 ·
Depends on how warm it is around you.
While like any epoxy putty, it is exothermic (produces its own heat as it cures, thus accelerating its own curing), it also cures faster in a warmer environment (I do NOT advocate putting it in your oven).

While it does go firmer, it never really hardens - which is why it is usually never used to make bladed weapons (brown-stuff works better for that). Couple of hours in good conditions to a day or so is the range I've experienced for curing times.

#6 ·
Green stuff, after it cures is like a really hard rubber and takes paint well. Brown stuff hardens into a rock but isn't as easy to work with as Green stuff (imo). It's used more for things that are thinner or need more strength (swords staves, details that might break easier). I ran out of green stuff once and used brown stuff for a vindicator conversion. i think i could shatter a hammer on its hull if i struck it.

Moe

#8 ·
Green stuff, after it cures is like a really hard rubber and takes paint well. Brown stuff hardens into a rock but isn't as easy to work with as Green stuff (imo). It's used more for things that are thinner or need more strength (swords staves, details that might break easier). I ran out of green stuff once and used brown stuff for a vindicator conversion. i think i could shatter a hammer on its hull if i struck it.

Moe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.