Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

2k Mech AM - New to 7th Ed

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  darkreever 
#1 ·
Was hoping for people to point out any glaring errors in this list. I haven't a proper look at available formations, so happy for someone to suggest if they think I would benefit. This list is more a reflection of my love for mech/tanks, but I would like it to be semi-competitive. Enemies will be tyranids/SWolves/daemonkin

HQ
Leman Russ Punisher
Heavy Bolters
Tank Commander
Pask
Dozer blade

Leman Russ Punisher
Heavy Bolters
Dozer blade

Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor
Servo Skulls (3)

Techpriest Enginseer
Servitors (3)

TROOPS

Veterans
Plasma Gun (2)
Demolitions
Chimera (HB/HB)

Veterans
Plasma Gun (2)
Demolitions
- Chimera (HB/HB)

Veterans
Meltagun (2)
Demolitions
- Chimera (HF/HF)

FAST ATTACK

Scout Sentinels (3)
Autocannon

Scout Sentinels (3)
Lascannon

Vendetta

HEAVY SUPPORT

Hydra Battery (2)
Camo netting

Leman Russ Battle Tank
Dozer blade

Leman Russ Battle Tank
Dozer blade

Total 1994

Pask (and his unit) are directed towards horde control. The inquisitor was mainly included to give me the servo skulls, but perhaps i dont have enough template weapons on the board to make use?
The veterans secure objectives with the sentinels flanking and harassing/taking heat off the armour.
The vendetta hunts armour and will hopefully help with mandrake/flyrants - hydras will be used for the same purpose

Battle tanks support main advance, likely link up with chimeras/pask unit in several armoured 'groups'

----
I also have 2 Wyverns that would be better suited given my use of servo skulls ? However that would limit by anti-air if i need to swap out the hydras

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't a proper look at available formations, so happy for someone to suggest if they think I would benefit.
I think there are a few formations that might help you here.

HQ
Leman Russ Punisher
Heavy Bolters
Tank Commander
Pask
Dozer blade

Leman Russ Punisher
Heavy Bolters
Dozer blade
Gonna say this once here, but its pretty much going to apply throughout the list: I'd drop the dozer blades so you have some points free for other things.

Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor
Servo Skulls (3)
As a means to get the servo skulls, great, otherwise I don't think you really need this guy.

Techpriest Enginseer
Servitors (3)
I don't see much of a need for this guy, but he can have his uses.

TROOPS

Veterans
Plasma Gun (2)
Demolitions
Chimera (HB/HB)

Veterans
Plasma Gun (2)
Demolitions
- Chimera (HB/HB)

Veterans
Meltagun (2)
Demolitions
- Chimera (HF/HF)
Definitely fits with your mechanized theme, though I'd say go grenadiers on the plasma squads. You want them to be a bit more protected and/or sitting a little further back than the demo charge wants. I'd probably say go grenadiers on all three and take a third melta to be fair.

FAST ATTACK
Scout Sentinels (3)
Autocannon

Scout Sentinels (3)
Lascannon
I like sentinals, but don't think single shot weapons are their strongest suit unless you can get something like prescience on them to make up for their lower BS.

Like it, though I'm a bit wary of a lone flyer at this point level.

Hydra Battery (2)
Camo netting
Like them

Leman Russ Battle Tank
Dozer blade

Leman Russ Battle Tank
Dozer blade
Nothing to say here that I did not earlier.

All in all, I think the steel host, Emperor's fist armoured battle group, Emperor's talon, and Emperor's blade formations would be good formations to look into.

The first two are armoured company formations, the first is a hydra, three tank squadrons, and a tank commander squadron while the second formation is an enginseer, three tank squadrons, and a tank commander squadron. Both formations have their own bonus's (like elite tank crews, being able to give orders to tank squadrons, giving a unit power of the machine spirit and the like.)

The Emperor's talon is a recon formation, letting you take 2-4 sentinal squadrons. One sentinal in the formation is able to give orders to the squadrons like a platoon or company commander, amongst other things.

The Emperor's blade is a mounted veterans formation, that also requires you to take at least one hellhound/devildog/banewolf squadron. The veterans have objective secured here, and the added backing of a hellhound or similar.

As far as formations go, they will definitely give you a lot of versatility, but when it comes to the AM and points things can get costly fast. Plus if you want any flyers, outside of taking an allied detachment (which might be worth your while) you'd need to go unbound to take them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.