What makes a good IG list? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Iraqiel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-16, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Default What makes a good IG list?

Hey all,

Sorta getting back in the groove to play some 40k, been building up my IG backlog...

But since it has been such a long time since I've played a game (just after the 6th ed guard dex), I'm no longer certain what is a typical good list.

In general my IG lists focus more around the platoon being on foot, with each infantry squad having a flamer & autocannon. I don't have many Russes or other tanks (I have 2 Executioners & 2 mobile (no sponson) main battle tanks), 1 hellhound and 2 chimeras...and I think 3 or 4 sentinels.

So, while I don't want to ask for people to write me a list (sigh I miss Marbo ), I would like to hear other peoples' experiences and strategies for playing (or playing against) a mostly foot guard army in 7th ed.

----

Thanks for helping out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-16, 05:40 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

I've played a little bit of guard with mixed results. Usually you might want to have 2-3 blobs with commissar/priest and some meltabombs and poweraxe. The guards are fine with grenade launchers.
Those guys need to be supported by some tanks: i suggest wyverns, executioners and maybe some eradicator if your meta has lot of cover. as antitank i suggest you grab a couple of the "start collecting" Scions boxes and use the formation therein. a couple of deepstriking , recycling squads of scions with meltaguns, two tauroxes with scions command squads as support for the blobs...sounds fun. if you have enough points you could also take a couple valkyries or vendettas with some flamer teams inside for objective grabbing.
Also, if you have them, infiltrating sentinels with autocannons can be fun, if not really effective, to grab some objectives, get linebreaker and harass enemy rearguard.
This said, IG is one of the worst codices out there at the moment, sadly. Expect no easy game and be prepared to get some prostate examinations by the average list of Eldar, Tau, Necron and Space Marines in general.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-16, 11:17 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

I play a lot of IG and don't often find footguard a 'winning' start point - buuuut if you did want to stick with it, I suggest zulu tactics. The Infantry blob sits near your board edge centrally, preferably holding an objective and with buckets of cover and leadership boosters like priests or commissars. The horns are either attack units like hellhounds and armoured sentinels and bullgryn or are artillery pieces like manticore and your leman russ (no-sponsons Battle Tank is still a favourite of mine). Importantly, you want to be able to keep units relatively dispersed but able to support each other with firepower or (if bullgryn) a charge by turn 3. If you can afford a reserve, be careful that it doesn't compromise your turn 1 and 2 firepower or risk not being able to get to where it needs in time... I find a hellhound or two make a good deus ex machina unit for this.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-16, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
This said, IG is one of the worst codices out there at the moment, sadly.
So fun/casual list vs fun/casual list guard are bad? Can you expand on that? Since the last time I ran guard with any consistency was with their old 5th ed codex; which was pretty strong.

Why is it that you find foot guard to be so bad @Iraqiel ?

Also, where are the places/books that have the IG formations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-16, 09:25 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Depending on the casual level: i've never lost to guard in casual games. Also, every casual game i've had playing guard was an uphill struggle. As far as i have seen, causal Tau-eldar-necron lists have a power level that is apalling. However, for casual/fun play any army is fine. Simply you will play in "hard" mode (being Orks and chaos marines the "very hard" :-D )
Ig is so bad right now because it has few and not so good (also nerfed) formations, while the above mentioned armies swell with powerful formations. I guess that if you stick with simple cad, just out of the codex, it wil even a bit the odds.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-16, 01:59 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Infantry Guard are exceptionally easy to kill: you'll need a friggin' ton of them to win a match, alternately you need to be facing someone who's bad enough to lose to it. I tried pulling out two 30 man blobs a little while ago with hectic tank support and I got rolled every time by a pal I was teaching how to play the game. It was awesome for him and ultimately fun but I would sell those infantry blobs before putting them back on the table. I don't have the patience for an army I explicitly need 100+ models to play an average game with in a hopes that my opponent is willing to play their army down to my level so I can have fun.

Conversely, my mechanized Guard lists are nigh undefeated in battle and bringing that list allows my opponent to actually play the game instead of walking on the eggshells that are my Guardsmen's broken skeletons.

The Mont'Ka campaign book has a bunch of Guard Formations, one of which is essentially a 50 man Guard blob. Yikes. Another is a swanky Basilisk/Manticore combo with a Command Squad that can issue the Ignore Cover order on any of the tanks from the Formation. Very Nice.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-16, 12:08 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Infantry Guard are exceptionally easy to kill: you'll need a friggin' ton of them to win a match, alternately you need to be facing someone who's bad enough to lose to it. I tried pulling out two 30 man blobs a little while ago with hectic tank support and I got rolled every time by a pal I was teaching how to play the game. It was awesome for him and ultimately fun but I would sell those infantry blobs before putting them back on the table. I don't have the patience for an army I explicitly need 100+ models to play an average game with in a hopes that my opponent is willing to play their army down to my level so I can have fun.

Conversely, my mechanized Guard lists are nigh undefeated in battle and bringing that list allows my opponent to actually play the game instead of walking on the eggshells that are my Guardsmen's broken skeletons.

The Mont'Ka campaign book has a bunch of Guard Formations, one of which is essentially a 50 man Guard blob. Yikes. Another is a swanky Basilisk/Manticore combo with a Command Squad that can issue the Ignore Cover order on any of the tanks from the Formation. Very Nice.
Ntaw says it very nicely there.
The horde of mediocre leadership, T3 bodies does a great job of representing the danger that mortal man places himself or herself in on the battlefields of the 41st millenium... but what that means is that most other units will delighfully chomp down on them.

If you are a chess master and can play them as bait to have your opponent chomp down on then great for you! However, don't think I've ever won a game with a dual blob platoon list, and although I've had fun games they've been fun from a 'desperate last stand' perspective rather than a 'contest between equals' perspective.

Also, it is undeniably more fun moving vehicles and 10 man squads around a table than 30 - 50 man squads... So much time wasted there...
ntaw and neferhet like this.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode