Newbies first army list - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-16, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Newbies first army list

Hello all im new to the world of tabletop gaming and as the title suggests this is my first attempt at a list. After going to my local gamesworkshop i realised i would be facing some really cheesy armies so here is my Elysian list.

HQ
lord commisar w/ cara armour, power fist & melta bombs

TROOPS

Drop platoon
2 squads w 2 melta guns

Veterans x 3
Demo vets, 3x melta guns
Valks x3 for transports w rocket pods, hb sidesponsons, multi lasers

FAST ATTACK
2x Vendetta w sponson mounted HB's, 2x TL lascannons

1x Vendetta w sponson mounted HB's, 2x TL lascannons

2x Vultures w TL punnisher gattling cannon

1850pts

Ok so my idea is to deny any enemy targets to fire on or swarm while maintaining complete air control on the battlefield. The blob w the lord commisar will hold back table objectives while the demo vets will go forth and wreak havoc while being supposted by vendettas, valks and vultures. This list will have 51 troops and 8 flyers, i doubt any army could compete with that air power however do i have enough feet on the ground to be competitive? All thoughts and crits are most welcome...cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-16, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Awesome advice yall!!! Thanks it was all greatly appreciated
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-16, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Your spamming eight flyers and a few melt squads. There's not much to comment on really.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-16, 12:43 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters View Post
This list will have 51 troops and 8 flyers, i doubt any army could compete with that air power however do i have enough feet on the ground to be competitive?
Ignoring the fact that scrolling down gave me a burning desire to be a total cunt,

Are you starting everything in Reserve? If so, do Elysians have the ability to be pulled out of Reserve Turn 1? Keeping in mind that Fliers cannot start on the table top even if you choose to do so in Hover mode. The only exceptions being Codex Special Rules which confer Reserves manipulation or maybe a Skyshield Landing Pad, but my memory of those is hazy at the moment.

Otherwise you'll lose T1 without anything going on whatsoever. Hurray for Fliers!

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects

Last edited by ntaw; 01-31-16 at 03:28 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-16, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Also, think you could give us unit totals? I tried remaking the list to see where points were but only came up with an 1830 list.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-16, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Sorry if i came across as rude guys, was just wanting some feedback. As im new to this game im not sure about the starting/reserve issues however if allowed i could put the blob w lord commisar hiding at the back on my deployment zone and hope for good reserve rolls or trade in a Vendetta for some sentinals. Could that work or would i get wiped turn 1?
As for point totals;
Lord commisar @ 110pts
Infantry platoon @ 180pts
3x vets @280pts each
2x Vendetta @ 280pts
1x Vendetta @ 130pts (no HB sponson )
2x Vultures @ 310pts

* this is in no way a friendly list, it would be used to deal with multi wraith lists ect

Also sorry again for sounding like an impatient cunt
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-16, 08:52 PM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

It sounds very risky hiding a single guy at the back of the table, even out of sight. Barrage weapons could end the game fast, and scouting units like flesh hounds could get a charge on turn 1 if you get the first turn. Maybe other fast units could get themselves into line of sight for shooting too, like flying hive tyrants

Alternatively with everything waiting to come in via reserve you'd have a lot of pressure to kill units on objectives quickly, especially if points are being scored throughout the game

This is just theory though. Maybe it could work in practice

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-16, 09:16 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

i'd remove a couple of flyers and beef up table control with Tauroxes with melta vets. You are dangerously squishy on turn 1 and 2. What happens if turn 2 you just have a couple reserve rolls on your side? And if T1 the opponent manges to charge or happens to have some long range decent firepower.... well...you are done.
So, my two cents are: less wings, more wheels, more boots

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-16, 12:59 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

If you're playing Guard you have a handy tool for Reserve manipulation at your fingertips: the Master of the Fleet. If you're intent on running this many Fliers (or more than one, really) this guy is worth it for the extra security. Alternately you could grab an Aegis Defense Line with Comms Relay for your Platoon and put some heavy weapons in there to keep them useful at range.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects

Last edited by ntaw; 02-02-16 at 01:39 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-16, 01:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Keep in mind @ntaw that Elysian officers of the fleet only have the intercept reserves rule. So that might throw off the aiding reserves idea.

Also Elysian drop platoon infantry squads can't have heavy weapon teams. They need to take heavy weapon squads in order to bring some bigger guns to play with.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode