1850 Emperor's Fist and CAD HELP!!!! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-22-15, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

HokieHWT's Flag is: USA

1850 Emperor's Fist and CAD HELP!!!!

Here is what Iím working on for my 1850 list. I played a guy who placed in the top 10 at the NOVA open today, Necrons and Tau. He maxed his points, I scored 5, but I didnít get tabled. How do you stop tanks from being punched to death? I canít figure it out. I love my tanks, LOVE THEM, and wonít give them up. I love the formation, but I need to figure out how to make sure they survive. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Do I just run conscripts and bubble wrap the tanks? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!

CAD
CCS-Chimera
Platoon
PCS- Vendetta
Commissar
2 Squads
HWT- 3 Autocannons
SWT- 3 Flamers, Vendetta
Vets- Chimera, 3 Plasmaguns

Emperorís Fist Armoured Company Formation
3 Enginseers
Pask Punisher, Heavy Bolter Sponsons
Exterminator
2 Executioners
Battle Tank

Check out my 2nd Catachan Regiment Project Log
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=131473

Catachan Devils W6-L11-D1
Steel Legion Heavy Mech W6-L0-D0
Minotaurs and Knights W5-L1-D0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-22-15, 09:48 PM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

hm camo nets could help for ranged weapons, automatic 6+ save, not much but it helped me a lot when I tested it.

on another note, I would advice dropping 1 plasma gun from the veteran squad. if they are going to ride around in a chimera you can have 2 plasma guns and use the top hatch. no need to leave the transport anymore.

about tanks. I am not sure why you would bubblewrap them. try to present your front armour as much as possible, and spread them around. the 12" BS 4 is a very tempting buff but if you keep all your tanks close together its gonna make for one big target for close combat units coming from assault vehicles.
in my experience leman russ tanks can take a pretty big beating before giving up the ghost. untill the enemy decides to focus all their firepower on them.

the only downside is that Tau and Necrons are basicly 1# on the list of vehicle killing armies.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-22-15, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks @Haskanael ! I ran into a similar problem when I come up against ANY CC army. Shooting I can handle with front AV14 but in CC anything hits rear armor either AV10 or AV11. So anything strength 4 or 5 has a chance to glance. Also scarabs glance on a 6, as do plaguebearers with "rust".

I like the idea of camo netting, then I can shoot and pop smoke in the same turn with the tank commander order, giving a 5+ but can that be used in close combat too?

With the new Emperor's Fist formation, GW is trying to make Guard a little more competitive so there has to be a way to stop models from getting so close. I always hear of bubble wrap but can't find an explanation of what it actually means.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-22-15, 10:04 PM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieHWT View Post
Thanks @Haskanael ! I ran into a similar problem when I come up against ANY CC army. Shooting I can handle with front AV14 but in CC anything hits rear armor either AV10 or AV11. So anything strength 4 or 5 has a chance to glance. Also scarabs glance on a 6, as do plaguebearers with "rust".

I like the idea of camo netting, then I can shoot and pop smoke in the same turn with the tank commander order, giving a 5+ but can that be used in close combat too?

With the new Emperor's Fist formation, GW is trying to make Guard a little more competitive so there has to be a way to stop models from getting so close. I always hear of bubble wrap but can't find an explanation of what it actually means.

yeah bubble wrap is basicly putting infantry around your tanks, personaly I find it inneficient and a waste of points. I try to keep on the move. and make sure I have other units that are scary in my army.

here is a list I tried in 2 battles last weekend. it met with mild succes while suffering a devastating loss against Necrons. (honestly even their basic weapons glance our tanks to death and those wraiths.. those wraiths... and all the bloody re animation protocoal safes and what not)
but a very strong win against a dark angel Deathwing/raven wing list.

"Emperor's fist" armoured company
Techpriest Enginseer.
1st squadron:
Tank commander, Leman russ vanquisher, Lascannon, camo netting.
Leman Russ vanquisher, Lascannon, camo netting.
2nd squadron:
Leman Russ battle tank, Heavy bolter, camo netting.
3rd squadron
Leman Russ Domolisher, Heay bolter, multi melta's, camo netting.
4th squadron
Leman Russ executioner, Plasma cannons, camo netting.
-
"Emperor's blade" assault company
Regimental command carapace armour, 2x plasma guns.
veterans 2x melta guns, carapace armour.
veterans 2x plasma guns, carapace armour.
4 chimera's.
Bane wolf.
Devil Dog.
1850 points

the entire list is based on staying on the move, capturing and holding objectives and then moving on. while packing a fair amount of firepower.
and occasionaly ramming and tank shocking (not something I can recomend against necrons tho)
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-22-15, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haskanael View Post
"Emperor's blade" assault company
Regimental command carapace armour, 2x plasma guns.
veterans 2x melta guns, carapace armour.
4 chimera's.
Bane wolf.
Devil Dog.
1850 points

the entire list is based on staying on the move, capturing and holding objectives and then moving on. while packing a fair amount of firepower.
and occasionaly ramming and tank shocking (not something I can recomend against necrons tho)
I really like your list! I read somewhere that the Emperor's Blade Assault Company only gives objective secured to the troops, not the transports. You could make the same formation with a CAD and the transports would allow you to get objective secured but you would lose preferred enemy.

If this is true, I don't know how I feel about it. But I can't believe I didn't think of using this. If I can get confirmation about the transports I will run right out an buy a hellhound kit or three

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 01:19 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieHWT View Post
I read somewhere that the Emperor's Blade Assault Company only gives objective secured to the troops, not the transports.
This is specifically stated in the rules for the Formation, I was almost excited for it as well. For reference,

Also you can't take Pask in the Armoured Company, only in the Battle Group Command. Note the exception for Pask for the Command Formation and not for the Company one:

As for your tanks getting punched up in CC: that's the way she goes. You gotta get ruthless with your tank selections, you need to have a devastating shooting phase because it's all you really have. Heavy tanks will never out run anything no matter how hard you try. Bubblewrap can be ChimeraVets and terrain just as easily as it can be infantry units. Check it out:

Vets set up to slow things down and shoot, terrain on the side to force tests and slow down that flank. As the Orks advanced I could barely even move, but you can see here my front line once destroyed still acted as bubble wrap for cover saves and difficult terrain tests for the Boyz. Not to mention I steadily moved my Leman Russ's back into the corner even though they started off much closer:

Plans never hold together much past the second turn, but if you keep paying attention to how and why you're losing you might just be able to play better with your list as opposed to constantly switching it up looking for 'better' combinations. I won that game because the game before I wasn't moving my army back in the face of the advance and I got ran hard. It might not work the same again, but it's something to consider with all tank armies.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

@ntaw Where does it say Pask can't be taken in the Emperor's Fist Armoured Company? I'm looking at the book right now and it says no restrictions, as well as allowing it in Battle Scribe. Am I missing something somewhere?

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

In fact he's in the picture, lol, on page 160.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 01:33 AM

Look at the picture I posted. The Command Formation has a caviat saying he can replace the Tank Commander, the Armoured Company does not. I can post a bunch of other Formations that have similar restrictions on Unique Characters, but have done so several times at this point and am feeling lazy.

GW also has the Emperor's Fist boxed set pictured with 20 Guardsmen (instead of 50) saying that it's 'all you need' for that Formation, and Battlescribe is not a valid source for rules no matter how pretty the interface is.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 01:36 AM

This is the thread where I last spoke of it.

40k Related Projects

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode