1850 Emperor's Fist and CAD HELP!!!! - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

HokieHWT's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Look at the picture I posted. The Command Formation has a caviat saying he can replace the Tank Commander, the Armoured Company does not. I can post a bunch of other Formations that have similar restrictions on Unique Characters, but have done so several times at this point and am feeling lazy.

GW also has the Emperor's Fist boxed set pictured with 20 Guardsmen (instead of 50) saying that it's 'all you need' for that Formation, and Battlescribe is not a valid source for rules no matter how pretty the interface is.
Just confirmed with one of the guys who run the NOVA Open that he in fact can be. There are no restrictions on the formation. He's a main character in the Mont'ka book as well so it makes sense.

Not trying to argue but I believe you're mistaken mate.

Check out my 2nd Catachan Regiment Project Log
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=131473

Catachan Devils W6-L11-D1
Steel Legion Heavy Mech W6-L0-D0
Minotaurs and Knights W5-L1-D0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 02:11 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieHWT View Post
Not trying to argue but I believe you're mistaken mate.
Always a conversation my friend. I'm more interested in getting rules straight than being right or wrong. That being said,

I can post numerous examples of Formations stipulating and not stipulating the allowance for Unique Characters to be swapped in place of a generic title. To steal the example from the same book series we're talking about with a little copy and pasting from the other thread since it wasn't discussed there much, this Formation states that only Shrike and no other Uniques may be taken in place of the Formation's Captain requirement:

Whereas this Formation from the same book has a very different listing of options:

I believe those stipulations are there/not there for a reason, gentlemanly agreements and tournament rulings for whatever reason aside. If you look at Formations in the books you have at your disposal I'm sure you'll see the same trend. Can you (or your friend at NOVA) explain why we should ignore it when we see the Pask caveat in one Formation as a replacement for a Tank Commander and not in another? I'm open to hearing otherwise and seeing through to the truth here, but so far people have just told me I'm wrong without saying why.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

I contacted a GW manager as well. He can be added because he is a "tank commander", specifically an upgrade to one. It states the formations needs a tank commander, which he is. That's the explanation I got from both the NOVA guy and the GW guy.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 02:37 AM

Guess his upgrade status overrides his Unique status. Works out to the benefit of the Formation, that's for sure!

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

The GW guy said he was written in the Battle group command as a reminder, not a special rule. Just like you can always take Pask as a commander. Same with Castellan and the shield company, he may replace the company commander.

I emailed the FAQ to get written confirmation, just so I don't have to call GW every time someone questions it.

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Guess his upgrade status overrides his Unique status. Works out to the benefit of the Formation, that's for sure!
So I woke up this morning to about 4 emails from various people about this. They are split on how to read it. Some are saying it was noted in the Battle Group as a reminder that Pask and Castellan can be taken in the formation and not noted in the others to save room, sort of like a full citation the first time you put it in then it continues for the rest of the article, while others are agreeing with you. The more I think about it, I can see both sides now. Hopefully I receive a response from the FAQ people, because without Pask I need to change my entire list. If/when I get a response I'll PM you with a copy for your own use, if you care or not.

I just wish GW would be clearer at all times and not leave this up to discussion, they do it much too often.

Merry Christmas all!

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieHWT View Post
I just wish GW would be clearer at all times and not leave this up to discussion, they do it much too often.
Amen brotha. I'd love to take Pask in this Formation, but to me allowing it offers a slippery slope of interpretation for other Formations. Since I only play friendly it would never be an issue on any table top I share on but if you're playing for winning like at tournaments or other events I can very well see this being an issue. If it's 'just a reminder' in this Formation it must be that way across the board, right? How would we tell otherwise when it's literal and when not, why did they even put it there at all? Jerks.

Merry Crimbo to you too dude

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to get to the bottom of this, for sure! I emailed ITC FAQ as well. What pisses me off the most is the damn picture on page 160 has Pask in it! That would be the ultimate screw off, putting him in the picture and not allowing it....like a girl who looks great inside the bar but the ne t morning you find out her name was Jim.

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 06:10 PM

Behold, the Emperor's Shield Infantry Platoon:

Featuring all you need for...wait....uh....

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Behold, the Emperor's Shield Infantry Platoon:

Featuring all you need for...wait....uh....

Maybe it is! I know some were interpreting it as 5 squads, although it says infantry squads. That's a PCS (1), 2 infantry squads (2&3), and 2 heavy weapons squads (4&5). I'm waiting for an FAQ. It just doesn't make sense, once again, how they wrote it. What is shown makes sense because it's an actual platoon.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode