Starters 1750 imperial guard army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-30-15, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Starters 1750 imperial guard army

Hey everyone. I've been thinking of selling my space marine army and picking up the bigger, better gunline army that is the imperial guard. If I go through with this, this is the list I'd like to use. Gimme your thoughts, cause I don't know the guard very well and I'd like to get a solid army. The plan for this is for the inquisitor to join the basilisk squad and TL them every turn, use his ld10 for orders (probs ignores cover) and plonk servo skulls in any places out of LoS but within 36", so there is nowhere to hide (mwahaha?). Other than that I feel like its a standard chimera spam list with the bonus of artillery that can take orders. Would another inquisitor be better for this role? for what he's doing, i feel like xenos and malleus would also do the same job, but I could be missing something. Anyway, advice would be wonderful
-Arcticor

CCS, lascannon, MoO, chimera 165

CCS, lascannon, MoO, chimera 165

Infantry Platoon
-PCS, autocannon, chimera 40
-IS, autocannon, chimera 125

Infantry Platoon
-PCS, autocannon, chimera 40

FW heavy artillery carriage battery - 2x earthshaker cannons, 8x total crew 150

3x rapier laser destroyers, 5x total crew 132

3x rapier laser destroyers, 5x total crew 132

ADL + quad gun 100

Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor, ml1, power armor, 3x servo skulls 72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-07-15, 12:32 AM

iJakov's Flag is: USA

I've been playing guard for a while, But I'll be the 1st to tell you that there are plenty of more experienced players out there and to take my advice with a grain of salt.
A few things:
Your inquisitor's ordo has literally no effect if you aren't taking anything above the basic wargear options. As a side note, Ordo Hereticus seems to fit the theme of you're army, raining fiary death down on those filthy heretics. I'm not positive if it would work because forge world medels/rules aren't common in my gaming group, but inquisitor Coteaz has some fun special rules that would ruin any deepstriking unit's day if he counts as being part of that earthshaker's unit. Worth checking it out IMHO.
I'm not a fan of lascannons on infantry, they always draw more fire than they warrant, and to make it do something you're going to want to buff it. I feel that you'd be wasting orders/psykic buffs on one lascannon. just my opinion though.
As it is now, if you plan to embark in all those chimeras, you're going to have to pick either moving or shooting every turn with the autocannons inside. I'd consider dropping the chimeras from one platoon adding another infantry squad to it so you can blob them up into a 40 man or 2x20 man squads, park your artillery behind these guys all hiding behind your aegis. in my experience 40+ wounds with a 2+ cover save from orders will last a lot longer than 4 av12 vehicles as cover for your heavy hitters.
Dropping the second platoon for a few units of melta vets in Chims and a second inquisitor would be the next step. Keep all those grunts inline with the 2nd inquisitor, and run out after anything that wants to hang back and fire at you with the vets, and if you get lucky with your warlord trait you could even out flank with them. Always, Always, Always run H/flamers on the hull of your melta vets, makes the unit so much more versatile if you can deal with the odd scouted or infiltrated light infantry unit in one go.
Running something like this would keep it close to the theme of your force, but (I think) would be more effective and fun to play:

CCS, lascannon, MoO, chimera

CCS, lascannon, MoO, chimera

Infantry Platoon
-PCS, autocannon
-IS, autocannon
-IS, autocannon
-IS, autocannon
-IS, autocannon

-Vets, 2 melta, Chimera
-Vets, 2 melta, Chimera
-Vets, 2 melta, Chimera

FW heavy artillery carriage battery - 2x earthshaker cannons, 8x total crew

3x rapier laser destroyers, 5x total crew

3x rapier laser destroyers, 5x total crew

ADL + quad gun

Inquititor Coteaz
Ordo Hereticus I0nquisitor, ml1, power armor, 3x servo skulls

If Battle Scribe is correct, that brings you to 1731
Play around a little and you can fit another Chimera in for the PCS or just fill out the vets a little more. It's not a popular opinion, But i like running my vets with 2 melta and a Heavy flamer. they can only shoot 2 guns out of the top, and if infantry is the only thing in range some extra hits from a H/Flamer might make the difference. also, wall of death for when they get charged after the chim goes down.

just my 2 cents

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode