2000 pts of pure tanks! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-15, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Default 2000 pts of pure tanks!

Just had to toy with this, after seeing the leaks of the new Mont'ka formations:

Steel Host formation (tanks w/in 12" of the TC gain PE)

Hydra - Enclosed Crew Compartment
LR Exterminator - Heavy Bolters x2, Hull Heavy Bolter
Command Executioner - Plasma Cannons x2, Hull Heavy Bolter
+ Executioner - Plasma Cannon x2, Hull Heavy Bolter

Emperor's Fist Armored Company Formation (tanks w/in 12" of the TC are BS4, and some fun shenanigans with Tank Shock, and using Enginseers to force worse AP rolls)

Engineer
Engineer
Engineer

Command Punisher - KC Pask, Heavy Bolters x2, Hull Heavy Bolter
+ Punisher - Heavy Bolters x2, Hull Heavy Bolter
LR Battle Tank - Plasma Cannons x2, Lascannon
LR Battle Tank - Plasma Cannons x2, Lascannon
LR Vanquisher - Plasma Cannons x2, Lascannon

2000/2000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-15, 07:08 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Not sure if the "Tank Commander" slot in the Armored Company needs a squadron around him (the phrasing of that in the codex is so hazily weird that I don't even know).

Also: pure tanks? Lies! Just because your engiseers are more machine than man doesn't make them not-Infantry!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-15, 07:41 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

The Battle Group Command Formation stipulates that you can take Pask in place of the Tank Commander, the Emperor's Fist Formation does not. Makes me think you can't take him where you have him.

Also, plasma on Battle Tanks?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-15, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Bah. I'll have the Enginseers hide under the chassis or something.

As far as I'm concerned with Tank Commanders, it doesn't matter if it says unit or otherwise. It's the Tank Commander entry itself that demands a second (or third) tank to be in squadron with it.

it's not like the Steel Host, where it says '1 Hydra' instead of '1 unit of Hydras'. That's the formation being picky.

Edit: @ntaw snuck a response in there!

Knight Commander Pask is an upgrade from the Tank Commander. In my mind, that says it doesn't have to 'allow' it. It's not like some formations where you pick a Librarian vs Tiggy, etc.

Also, PCs seemed like the meanest possible guns to strap onto the Battle Tank's howitzers. Honestly, they don't relaly need sponsons, nothing quite matches up. But since THAT formation had BS4, it seemed like a better option to drop more blast templates.

Last edited by Xabre; 11-23-15 at 07:45 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-15, 07:54 PM

If that's the way it works for Formations then why have the stipulation in one spot and not on the other? Lots of Formations have these and plenty people feel that stipulations are necessary for Unique Characters, which is what Pask is regardless of how he's taken.

Those plasma sponsons will only be firing when the Battle Cannon doesn't thanks to Ordnance causing Snap Shots. It would be a mean combo for sure, but it seems like a lot of points for something that will be very situational.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-15, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Hmm. Forgot about the ordinance rules, because honestly, I never use em. I'll probably either drop them, or slap on heavy bolters instead to hope for random 6s.

The way I see it, MOST special characters are their own entry. For instance, a Librarian is not upgraded to Tigurius. He's bought separately, with his own datasheet and his own entry. KC Pask, however, is a point increase on the basic Tank Commander, just like upgrading a Sergeant to a Veteran Sergeant.

For instance. The Bladewing Assault Brotherhood says that you must take a Captain or Chaplain, with a footnote that you could take Shrike instead. But Shrike isn't something that the Captain upgrades to normally, he's a special character, and certainly not a Chaplain upgrade.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-15, 08:49 PM

I get that Pask is an upgrade, what you haven't explained is why there's a caveat for his allowance in one Formation but not another. If there was no caveat anywhere I would flat out agree with you, but no rationalization of Pask's status as a Unique Character available through upgrade gets around that.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-15, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Which formation makes mention of it? Neither the Steel Host nor the new Emperor's Fist one has that notation.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-15, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
The Battle Group Command Formation stipulates that you can take Pask in place of the Tank Commander

Formation top right, then the one we're discussing is two below it. That is the only thing that doesn't fit your explanation.

EDIT: looking back at the Steel Host, it doesn't have that stipulation either. This is a reoccurring thing across all Formations released for every army that I'm aware of, some list Unique options others don't. I always thought that if it wasn't listed it isn't allowed, otherwise why write any stipulations anywhere?

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 11-24-15 at 01:23 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-15, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Fair enough. I was never looking at the full battle group, because I couldn't care less about it. I'm actually sort of surprised, because Pask still is different then all other datasheets. Oh well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode