1850 Steel Host - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-15, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

HokieHWT's Flag is: USA

Default 1850 Steel Host

This is just for fun but I wonder how competitive it would be....

Command Squad
Pask Punisher, 2 x Heavy Bolter Sponsons
Punisher, 2 x Heavy Bolter Sponson

3 x Demolisher
3 x Battle Tank
2 x Executioner, 1 x Eradicator
1 x Hydra

1850 on the dot.

Has anyone run this? It seems like a blast, but I'd have a hard time securing objectives right?

Check out my 2nd Catachan Regiment Project Log
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=131473

Catachan Devils W6-L11-D1
Steel Legion Heavy Mech W6-L0-D0
Minotaurs and Knights W5-L1-D0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-15, 01:29 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

I've been playing a pretty heavy mech list for the last little while and with LRs only moving 6" per turn the enemy pretty much just rushes you or hides out of LoS/in cover. This depends on the enemy list of course, but Objectives weren't even an option considering how damned slow the army is and how you -so don't want- to move it up closer to the enemy. I love the idea of a mechanized army and it does pretty well on the tabletop but it's very easily overrun in my experiences.

Granted my Guard have been facing speedy Orks, cunning Eldar, and Drop Pod Salamanders (easily the hardest to beat...I haven't yet BUT I WILL) so it's a bit of an uphill battle for me.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 10-27-15 at 01:31 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-15, 08:15 AM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

It seems like a competitive list purely by denying large portions of many opposing lists, at least in the first few turns. Maybe a sort of lower tier competitive list because it's very rock, paper, scissors and doesn't seem like the sort of list to actually win a tournament, though I can't ever see it doing really badly either

My tyranids would get blasted into tiny pieces, early. Horrible match up

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-15, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to test it out Thursday against a buddy of mine. I'll report back. Another buddy of mine just placed 9th at the NOVA open, so I'm going to try against his list to see how competitive it actually is. I just love tanks, and that's the important thing.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-15, 01:26 AM

I would love to hear how it goes, tanks are the best thing about 40k (after 'gunslinger'). Otherwise you may as well play AoS!

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-15, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Today's game was interesting, so say the least. It looked like I was going to table my CSM/Daemonkin by the 3rd turn but then the dice turned on me.

First turn Pask took out a Soulgrinder, the demolishers took out another, and the 3 battle tanks took out a maulerfiend. I also removed 3 bikes with the Executioners and Eradicator. His turn a maulerfiend took at a demolisher and that's it.

Second turn I wiped out most of his hounds but could not kill his warlord, which is probably a good thing because it turns into a bloodthirster when it dies. I killed 3 more bikes and glanced the other maulerfiend. His turn he destroyed a battle take with the maulerfiend and his strength D bloodthrister came on the board, as did a squad of bloodletters.

Third turn I wounded a lot of things but he had daemonic saves of 5+ and Feel No Pain 5+ and his dice were hot, saving every wound. His maulerfiend took about another battle tank and his bloodthirster took out Pask, so no more Preferred Enemy for me.

Fourth turn I scattered almost every shot and what did hit was saved by FNP. His maulerfiend wiped the last battletank, bloodthirster took out another demolisher and bloodletters glanced the hydra to death.

Fifth turn I finally killed of the maulerfiend, since it no longer had FNP but his bloodthirster wiped out the last demolisher. More bloodletters came on for him and he secured more objectives (playing Maelstorm).

Sixth, and final, turn I wounded his bloodthirster twice but it still had three left. He wiped out an executioner and the game ended.

The list did exactly what I thought it would, lots of damage early, I couldn't secure objectives and lost 15-3.

Too much of a good thing is never a good thing, so it was a learning experience. I won't be running this list again, but it saved me $200+ because I would have had to buy four more demolisher kits. I'm going to run a more balanced list so I can get objectives while using the Steel Host is a smaller scale.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-15, 11:15 PM

While I'm sad to hear of your loss it doesn't come as a surprise to me that this all-tank lists just needed something to counter attack when units get in close.

I'm currently looking at allying my BA with Pask and his tanks for that much needed CC ability. Pask & Co plowing up the field with a Land Raider full of Death Company pleases me.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-15, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Pask in a punisher is amazing but when you have daemonic saves and FNP it gets frustrating. My sabre platforms are going to be nice, just need to receive them. I ordered 3 lascannon and 3 autocannons. Skyfire, interceptor, twin-linked and scout are going to be a blast.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-15, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieHWT View Post
Pask in a punisher is amazing but when you have daemonic saves and FNP it gets frustrating.
I tend to team him with an Exterminator so that between the weight of fire he brings and the AP2 of the plasma it takes care of business.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-15, 01:05 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

The Steel Host itself comes from a campaign book with a lot of Imperial Knight action as well. Potentially consider taking 1 - 3 of them as your counter attack?

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode