Tanks & Planes - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-15, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Default Tanks & Planes

I have never, EVER considered IG before. Until people started mentioning the Steel Host. Then I had to do some research.

Primary Detachment - Steel Host Formation

Command Executioner - Plasma Sponsons, Tank Commander, Hull Heavy Bolter
Executioner x2, Plasma Sponsons x2, Hull Heavy Bolters x2

LR Squadron - Battle Tank x2, Pintle Heavy Stubber x2, Hull Heavy Bolter x2

LR Squadron - Exterminator x2, Heavy Bolter Sponsons x2, Hull Heavy Bolter x2

LR Squadron - Vanquisher x2, Hull Lascannon x2, Hull Heavy Bolter x2

Hydra - Armored Crew Compartment

Stormwing Formation

Stormraven Gunship - Lascannon, Multimelta

Stormtalon Gunship - Skyhammer Missiles

Stormtalon Gunship - Skyhammer Missiles

2000/2000

It's just silly!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-15, 01:51 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Hell yeah! Blitzkreig or bust!

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-15, 08:03 AM

R_Squared's Flag is: England

That would look pretty cool on the table. Who wouldn't want to just play a horde of tanks and planes?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-15, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

I think it should do pretty well, also. The Command squad has preferred Enemy so it shouldn't suffer Gets Hot very often. Then there's a Dakka squad of autocannons and heavy bolters, a Battle Cannon squad for pie plates, and a heavy armor squad of Lascannon/Vanquishers.

Then the Stormwing offers a bit of all around support, with more autocannons (sorry, Skyhammers), assault cannons, and more anti-tank in the Stormraven.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-15, 03:06 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre View Post
The Command squad has preferred Enemy so it shouldn't suffer Gets Hot very often.
I got off around two dozen plasma shots without even needing a re-roll last game, game before I almost wrecked my own tank even with Preferred Enemy. Stupid dice...

Is this the entirety of the rules for the Steel Host Formation?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-15, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
I got off around two dozen plasma shots without even needing a re-roll last game, game before I almost wrecked my own tank even with Preferred Enemy. Stupid dice...

Is this the entirety of the rules for the Steel Host Formation?

Yep, as far as I've seen, that's the entire thing.

That, and the awesome factor because, as a formation, there's no pesky squishies I have to add as a tax.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-15, 04:25 PM

Quote:
That, and the awesome factor because, as a formation, there's no pesky squishies I have to add as a tax.
Dude, just wait until this whole Decurion thing hits the Guard. I anticipate that cherry picking units will never have been easier!

As for the squishies, my Vets win me games. I'd be more annoyed about the Hydra tax for this Formation as that tank is possibly the biggest let down in the current Codex for not having Interceptor.

Now that I'm thinking of it, bunching your tanks up to make the most of the Formation's special rule can be a double edged sword. It leaves you open to blast templates from the enemy, and can give you trouble if combat units make it in close as they can disorderly charge several tanks and wreck the crap out of them (not to mention tank squads that get charged often get absolutely ruined thanks to being in a squad). I had an instance in my last game where the Orks I was facing were in too close for me to even try using my blast weapons.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-15, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Dude, just wait until this whole Decurion thing hits the Guard. I anticipate that cherry picking units will never have been easier!

As for the squishies, my Vets win me games. I'd be more annoyed about the Hydra tax for this Formation as that tank is possibly the biggest let down in the current Codex for not having Interceptor.

Now that I'm thinking of it, bunching your tanks up to make the most of the Formation's special rule can be a double edged sword. It leaves you open to blast templates from the enemy, and can give you trouble if combat units make it in close as they can disorderly charge several tanks and wreck the crap out of them (not to mention tank squads that get charged often get absolutely ruined thanks to being in a squad). I had an instance in my last game where the Orks I was facing were in too close for me to even try using my blast weapons.
Didn't guard get 7E? Or were they the last 6E codex? We'd have to wait for an 8E codex for them possibly for a Super Formation, like BA or GKs.

I have nothing against Vets. I just like the idea of a fully armored company. If I could find a list that let me go all Dreadnoughts, I probably would try that (btw, there is actually. Space Wolves can do it).

The Formation rules for tanks are 4" coherency, right? that's enough space to avoid double-tapping with most blasts, and 12" bubbles means I don't have to form up TOO much for the preferred. it's guaranteed for the command squad, however (which is why all the plasma was together there).

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-15, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Didn't guard get 7E? Or were they the last 6E codex? We'd have to wait for an 8E codex for them possibly for a Super Formation, like BA or GKs.
GK, BA, Orks, and SW all got 7th ed. Codices without Decurion stuff. That started with 'Crons, the last army to be updated from 5th.

Quote:
The Formation rules for tanks are 4" coherency, right? that's enough space to avoid double-tapping with most blasts, and 12" bubbles means I don't have to form up TOO much for the preferred. it's guaranteed for the command squad, however (which is why all the plasma was together there).
I hear ya on that, it was more of a word of caution rather than a convincing argument against it. I've had vehicle squadrons ruined when CC units get too close, and fast to boot.

40k Related Projects
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-15, 10:41 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
I hear ya on that, it was more of a word of caution rather than a convincing argument against it. I've had vehicle squadrons ruined when CC units get too close, and fast to boot.
Or even terminators deep striking to the rear. Curse your Achilles heel Leman Russ!

that 12" bubble that Xabre mentioned is actually a 12" radius bubble, so look more at this being a full 2 feet of preferred enemy for your formation.

Also, didn't the skyfire - interceptor stack end last edition? Or are you just bemoaning the turn 2 strafing run targeting the hydra and leaving the rest of the tanks exposed?

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode