Imperial Guard 10,000 point list versus Chaos - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-15, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Default Imperial Guard 10,000 point list versus Chaos

G'day Heretics,

I'm playing an Apocalypse game this weekend against a guy at the local store who loves his Night Lords and cheesy lists (at a recent tournament, he brought a Lord of Skulls, Wraithknight and Heldrake) and I'm expecting to see a Warhound Titan or possibly two, the Lord of Skulls, the 6 Heldrake formation, the Skyfire Nexus formation and probably Abbadon and friends. I've got a fair collection myself, but I'm hoping you can perhaps critique my list a bit.

My list:
HQ
Colonel Iron Hand Straken in CCS with Missile Launcher, Medic, Vox, Master of Ordinance, Astropath, Officer of the Fleet. (Going to hang out in a bunker)
Lord Commissar with Emperor's Benediction (s5 ap4 Bolt Pistol) and Sword of Conquest (+1 strength power sword)
Primaris Psyker L2 (Divination)
Primaris Psyker L2 (Sanctic)
Enginseer with 2x Power Arm Servitors, 1x Multimelta servitor (held in reserves to walk behind the demolisher tank squadron)

Troops
Veteran Squad with GSGT Harker, Missile Launcher (+Flak), Heavy Flamer, 2x Flamers, vox, forward sentries and krak grenades (holding the bunker)
Veteran Squad with 3x Melta, Missile Launcher (+Flak), Grenadiers, Krak grenades, Chimera
Veteran Squad with 3x Melta, Missile Launcher (+Flak), Grenadiers, Krak grenades, Chimera
Veteran Squad with 3x Melta, Missile Launcher (+Flak), Grenadiers, Krak grenades, Chimera (held in reserves for turn 3)

Fast Attack
Hellhound with mulitmelta
Hellhound with mulitmelta
Vendetta Gunship
Vendetta Gunship
Vendetta Gunship
Vulture Gunship with twin linked Punisher Cannons
Vulture Gunship with twin linked Punisher Cannons

Heavy Support
Thunderbolt Fighter with 4x Hellstrike missiles
Avenger Strike Fighter with twin linked lascannon, 2x Hellstrike missiles
Manticore with camo netting
Leman Russ Demolisher Squadron (3x Tanks) with Heavy Bolter Sponsons (held in reserves for turn 2)
Leman Russ Battle Tank Squadron
Wyvern with camo netting
Wyvern with camo netting

Lord of War
Shadowsword with 2x Sponsons
Warhound Titan
Macharius Vanquisher

Fortifications
Plasma Obliterator Emplacement (I'll leave this empty as 'gets hot' impacts infantry in the bunker)
Macro Cannon Strongpoint (For Straken and Harker's Squads)

Formations
Baneblade Company - 3x Baneblades
The Steel Host - Leman Russ Vanquisher Commander in Leman Russ Battle Tank Squadron with lascannons, Leman Russ Battle Tank Squadron with HB Sponsons, Leman Russ Executioner with Plasma Cannon Sponsons, Hydra.

Stratagem Cards
Manticores fire all rockets at once card
Rearm - repaces all one use only items

All up 10,002 points.

What do you think? I feel like I have a weakness against his air force, the ground based air defence is mediocre and the thunderbolt fighter is a soft target in the face of the hades autocannons on the helldrakes. His only downside is that to take advantage of that formation, he needs them on the table pre-turn 1 to get his 60" move and free vector strikes.

I could re-arrange my manticores into the white dwarf formation that gives a boost of firing d3 rockets per turn for another hard hitting round of firing, but then they will pretty much be committed to 2 turns of concentrated firepower before becoming irrelevant.

I was also considering dropping the hellhounds and something else for my Knight Errant imperial knight, but chose not to because my IG, not my Admech, were challenged.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-15, 11:10 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

lol at your 10k list with ~50 infantry models. I play that much infantry at 2k with Blood Angles!

Not much to say on the list aside from give your upgrades a critical eye and see if they're really worth it. I'm talking about grenadiers, flakk missile launchers, camo netting...that sort of stuff. Is it really worth all those circumstantial upgrades over another having another unit on the table?

I'd drop the Hellhounds for a Knight in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-15, 02:24 AM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

aww that looks badass and yes 1or2 hydra's wouldnt be amiss. however. if you toss enough firepower at the flyers they will come down eventualy, especialy with 5 flyers of your own.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-15, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys!
@ntaw - I tend to agree... Carapace armoured veterans are just that much more survivable, actually getting a save against bolters is kindof important when you are on terminator hunting duty!

However, dropping my hellhounds, veteran armour, and a level off each of my psykers I can fit in the Imperial Knight. As much as I was looking forward to putting s6 ignores cover hits down on his infantry, I think I maaaay do that too. That way, I can try and charge in and take on one of his Lord of Skulls with something that may have half a chance!
@Haskanael I've got the steel host hydra in there but I totally agree that it would be better bulked out to a squadron of three... if only I could get my hands on the old forgeworld model still! I'm expecting my five anti-air flyers to go down hard, early with his anti-air fortification formation though, that's why I've chucked in flak missiles as well - never know when those extra hits may count! Plus, I'm hoping to fire off a Quake Cannon Round from the Macro Cannon and bring one or two down, that would be epic (however unlikely).

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-15, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
actually getting a save against bolters is kindof important when you are on terminator hunting duty!
Except they're in a Chimera with a top hatch, and if they disembark and don't kill the Terminators while within the 12" range of their meltaguns they're pretty darn boned anyway on the counter attack/charge. At 10k I guess it really doesn't make much of a difference though.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-15, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
they're pretty darn boned anyway
True, but that's one more turn that my precious tanks get to live and (presumably) fire!

Iraqiel

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-15, 12:11 AM

all about 'dem tanks! I love it.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-15, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
lol at your 10k list with ~50 infantry models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haskanael View Post
aww that looks badass
Hey guys, here's what it looks like when you take it all out and check it for damage and repairs:

Iraqiel

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-15, 08:42 AM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
Hey guys, here's what it looks like when you take it all out and check it for damage and repairs:
this, is, MAGNIFICENT!
I swear, someday my guard can match yours XD
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-15, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haskanael View Post
this, is, MAGNIFICENT!
I swear, someday my guard can match yours XD
Thanks man! You can totally do it, though this isn't even the whole collection... all my gunline artillery and my infantry aren't part of the 10,000 points, and nor are my valkyries or fortifications.

Iraqiel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode