[500] - Imperial Guard - small game force - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-15, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Default [500] - Imperial Guard - small game force

so folks i am attending WHW in early october and apart from buying way too much resin i intend to have a few 500pt games. My main opponent has decided he is taking GKs, consisting of 1 librarian, 5 terminators (i think 5) and a dreadknight. Now working with what i have i think i can field the following for 485points, i have to work with what i have as i dont think ill have time for more painting but i can try, so this is the force in question, any improvements.
as a thought regarding units I have I might be able to throw together another 10 man squad with some flamers and an autocannon sentinel and possibly stretch the list to 600 but I then worry what my opponent might get for that
HQ
company command squad: 105
commander las pistol and CC
refractor field
frag grenades
4 vets 1 medic
3 meltagun
frag grenades
chimera with multi laser: 65

Primaris Psyker las pistol , force weapon 50
refractor field
frag grenades

TROOPS
vet squad 1: 70
serg las pistol and CC
hw team autocannon
7 troopers lasgun
frag grenades

vet squad 2: 70
serg las pistol and CC
hw team autocannon
7 troopers lasgun
frag grenades

HEAVY
basilisk: 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-15, 04:41 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Hey man,

That's a really interesting list that you have put together there, it would be an enjoyable challenge to play I'm sure.

If I was going to analyse it, I'd start by looking at a few things:
Weight of fire: The Basilisk has a minimum range, and at 500 points (esp. against grey knights) you can bet your bottom dollar that you'll be spending most of your time not firing that earthshaker cannon. Sad, but true. Consider looking instead at hellhounds or a leman russ to pump out the armoured support.

Lasguns - you have a fair few, but they won't last long if you are planning on leaving them in the open. You are going to be relying heavily on finding cover for those two squads of veterans, because without peons to fend off terminators for a turn, you won't be seeing much use from those awesome autocannons. Consider dropping frag grenades since you probably won't be seeing much use from them - if walkers or assault troops are that close, you've probably died anyway.

Melta HQ - a powerful unit that can really unleash some pain, but if you send it out hunting you can be sure that you are giving away slay the warlord and not getting much use out of your orders.

Survivability -

Cover - as discussed, you need cover for the veteran squads. If you can find points for an aegis line, that should save the bacon for one of your squads.

Refractor fields - ok, if you like. I think these are a bit pricey, especially considering that the Company Commander already comes with an invulnerable save. The psyker will not have that save pay for himself if you tend to perils a bit, because all perils of the warp wounds ignore invuln saves as well.

Medic - I know they seem good, but T3 means anything s6 will end them, so close combat with grey knights, shooting from eldar and a strong breeze from tau will make your medic just a waste of points. Still, helps against bolters and necrons, so up to you.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-15, 06:22 AM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
The Basilisk has a minimum range.
I thought the minimum range was only for indirect firing? I might be mistaken.

Quote:
Cover - as discussed, you need cover for the veteran squads. If you can find points for an aegis line, that should save the bacon for one of your squads.
this is some solid advice, Aegis line can realy save the day in small games.

Quote:
Refractor fields - ok, if you like. I think these are a bit pricey, especially considering that the Company Commander already comes with an invulnerable save. The psyker will not have that save pay for himself if you tend to perils a bit, because all perils of the warp wounds ignore invuln saves as well.
refractor fields are standard equipment for Primaris psykers and company commanders.

Quote:
Medic - I know they seem good, but T3 means anything s6 will end them, so close combat with grey knights, shooting from eldar and a strong breeze from tau will make your medic just a waste of points. Still, helps against bolters and necrons, so up to you.
as cool and usefull as medics might seem, much like company/platoon standards they are realy not very usefull.
in the Imperial guard its often more usefull to sink as little points in HQ as possible and beefing up your troops and tanks as much as you can.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-15, 01:26 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
The Basilisk has a minimum range, and at 500 points (esp. against grey knights) you can bet your bottom dollar that you'll be spending most of your time not firing that earthshaker cannon. Sad, but true.
@Haskanael has it right, minimum distance is only for indirect fire (barrage shots). While I was sure it's been this way for the last two editions of the BRB I still had to look it up and prove it in a game last weekend when my Manticore (the most ridiculous tank ever) unloaded on something ~12" away. Lucky scatter dice for me on that one.

EDIT: pg. 160, last sentence under the first bullet for Barrage:

Quote:
If a Barrage weapon has line of sight to its target it may fire directly, even if the target is within minimum range.
Note that this doesn't invalidate any of your advice though, that was a well thought out post.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 09-26-15 at 01:55 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-15, 03:11 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
EDIT: pg. 160, last sentence under the first bullet for Barrage:
Son of a... I have not used my basilisks (9 of them!) apart from in Apocalypse games since the end of 4th because I got so sick of firing on turn 1 only!

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-15, 09:22 PM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Son of a... I have not used my basilisks (9 of them!) apart from in Apocalypse games since the end of 4th because I got so sick of firing on turn 1 only!
sounds like you are gonna have fun, but hey the rest of your advice was solid like a concrete wall,
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-15, 09:57 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Son of a...
I am so sorry that those glorious pieces of gun have been collecting dust. Get an air gun and bring 'em out!! I would gladly trade my Manticore for a Basilisk (rule of cool and I like the points cost more) in a hope of fielding a mere three after some careful saving. One of the coolest tanks in 40k.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode