2k mechanized - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-15, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Default 2k mechanized

Hi there.
Testing this one, have to resort to proxies and papercraft for the time being... Eh, anyway, any good criticism is welcome
Didn't see horde or mass-flyer lists at the local hobby store, AV14 is also very rare, but trying to build this list as a generalist all-comers one. Expecting a lot of movement and sometimes through diff terrain, so almost everything have dozer blades. If someone has any better use for the points to suggest - go ahead, I'd be glad to hear it.
Only listing choices and changes, ie no stock stuff like chimera's HB and multilaser.

Primaris psyker, lvl 2, divination
Primaris psyker, lvl 2, divination

Tank commander squad
punisher - Pask, multi-meltas, lascannon, dozer, warlord
executioner - plasma spons, lascannon, dozer

Veterans - chimera (dozer), HFlamer, 2x plasma, bolter sergeant, grenadiers
Veterans - chimera (dozer), HFlamer, 2x plasma, bolter sergeant, grenadiers

Command squad - chimera (dozer), HFlamer, 3x plasma, master of ordnance (laspistol), carapace for vets

Hellhound - dozer

Vendetta

2x wyverns (in one unit)

Executioner - plasma spons, lascannon

Executioner - plasma spons, lascannon

List is based on another mechanized one from this forum, modifications made for fun and local gaming conditions.

Last edited by Tixed; 04-03-15 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-15, 12:28 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

I am a fan of this list.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-15, 12:11 PM

Overheat wrecks tanks, auto loss of hulpoint

We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done

see some awsome orks here
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179488

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-15, 12:13 PM

So kick the plasma cannons shame i know

We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done

see some awsome orks here
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179488
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-15, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by louwie View Post
So kick the plasma cannons shame i know
Yeah, I know statistically speaking they tend to wreck themselves if firing full power all 5-6 turns. And only have like 7.4% of not losing any HP within the same game (have made the calculations). But:

a) the one with Pask have re-roll of ones, including 'gets hot' results, so he's pretty much safe with only 1/72 for each shot to get a glancing hit.

b) two psykers with divination' primaris can provide good support with rerolls, both for accuracy and rerolling ones.

c) I don't have to fire full 5 shots every turn with each tank - only when it's necessary and when danger outweighs the risk.

Sure, they even can all wreck very fast with their own shots, but it's not that scary with the kind of firepower they provide. Also, support can mitigate the risk somewhat.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-15, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
I am a fan of this list.
Thanks! I've only had two battles with similar list, before the modifications (has third vet squad in place of command one, and two 5-man tempest drop suiciders with meltas in place of hellhound).

Do you use a list like this?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-15, 03:51 PM

I do, though I don't use Wyverns, the Hellhound, or half the upgrades you take with your vehicles and vets. While I play Pask the same, I pair him with a Demolisher armed with Heavy Bolters everywhere. I also don't have four Executioner/Punisher/Demolisher variants of the Leman Russ right now so I use a pair of Battle Tanks and a Manticore when I want more AV.

I have to agree that the Plasma sponsons on the Executioner are often more of a detriment than amazing at generating more wounds. After playing several games with one (some of them with dual Executioners) I think I'm going to keep mine with Heavy Bolter or Multi Meltas, or just bare on the sides when I play them.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-15, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I do, though I don't use Wyverns, the Hellhound, or half the upgrades you take with your vehicles and vets. While I play Pask the same, I pair him with a Demolisher armed with Heavy Bolters everywhere. I also don't have four Executioner/Punisher/Demolisher variants of the Leman Russ right now so I use a pair of Battle Tanks and a Manticore when I want more AV.

I have to agree that the Plasma sponsons on the Executioner are often more of a detriment than amazing at generating more wounds. After playing several games with one (some of them with dual Executioners) I think I'm going to keep mine with Heavy Bolter or Multi Meltas, or just bare on the sides when I play them.
I see. How do you arm Battle Tanks? They aren't that effective in AV role, to be honest, with only one 8 str shot with AP 3 (no bonus on damage table), even as they're ordnance and large blast... Also ordnance means they can't effectively use lascannon or multimeltas after firing the main gun.

For the plasma sponsons - I'm planning on magnetizing anyway, so I'd have lot of opportunities to try various upgrades and sponson variants. Also, see my prev post with points about mitigating 'gets hot' risk.

Edit: Oh, also - how do you equip your vets if you take them but don't use upgrades that I choose?

Last edited by Tixed; 04-03-15 at 04:02 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-15, 04:36 PM

Oh, I read you post about stopping them from getting hot and that's effective. I've run one with Pask a few times and stopped some damage for sure, I guess dice have been jerks to me and 5 Get's Hot! rolls is enough apparently. Never had any inclination toward keeping my Psykers next to my tanks to maintain Prescience range and never really wanted to move my Executioners up too close to the enemy.

My Battle Tanks I play with Heavy Bolter sponsons mostly because that's how they came to me (after some cutting of glued in guns, anyway) and I'm not too keen on cutting the whole sponson off, repairing, and magnetizing them up. I will say that even though they are Snap Shots, 18 shots from the two tanks together has generated those crucial extra armour saves for my enemy frequently enough that I'm happy taking them (not to mention avoiding the occasional Weapon Destroyed result). As for their main weapon, I play against a lot of Chaos Space Marine and Space Marine lists in my group and that Instant Death AP3 pie plate is great.

My vets I run just with the Heavy Flamer and twin Melta Guns. No Bolter or Grenadiers stuff, and really the Heavy Flamer barely ever gets used even though I'm gunning for Melta range often with them (when they're not being used as deterrents toward enemy armour movement). When I play Psykers with them I typically give them a Force Axe just to hide some AP2 in the unit if they end up in combat with something they shouldn't be.

As a look into the way I play my Guard, this is a list I thoroughly enjoy playing at 2k. I know it's a bit different than the list you've posted, but it's easy enough to move some stuff around and play Pask as well.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 04-03-15 at 05:12 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-15, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh, I read you post about stopping them from getting hot and that's effective. I've run one with Pask a few times and stopped some damage for sure, I guess dice have been jerks to me and 5 Get's Hot! rolls is enough apparently. Never had any inclination toward keeping my Psykers next to my tanks to maintain Prescience range and never really wanted to move my Executioners up too close to the enemy.

My Battle Tanks I play with Heavy Bolter sponsons mostly because that's how they came to me (after some cutting of glued in guns, anyway) and I'm not too keen on cutting the whole sponson off, repairing, and magnetizing them up. I will say that even though they are Snap Shots, 18 shots from the two tanks together has generated those crucial extra armour saves for my enemy frequently enough that I'm happy taking them (not to mention avoiding the occasional Weapon Destroyed result). As for their main weapon, I play against a lot of Chaos Space Marine and Space Marine lists in my group and that Instant Death AP3 pie plate is great.

My vets I run just with the Heavy Flamer and twin Melta Guns. No Bolter or Grenadiers stuff, and really the Heavy Flamer barely ever gets used even though I'm gunning for Melta range often with them (when they're not being used as deterrents toward enemy armour movement). When I play Psykers with them I typically give them a Force Axe just to hide some AP2 in the unit if they end up in combat with something they shouldn't be.

As a look into the way I play my Guard, this is a list I thoroughly enjoy playing at 2k. I know it's a bit different than the list you've posted, but it's easy enough to move some stuff around and play Pask as well.

Nice list! Yeah, I see your points about taking a different approach for building an army. Different environment, and different modelling restrictions. I personally dislike gunlines, for being too static - that's why I try to be very mobile. I also have a few marine players here, but I guess I'll be ok against them. Only played against one weird testing list, with lots of melee and cover-camping scouts (one of them took eight hit rolls on my scatter from wyverns, so opposing player just removed the whole squad, lol). And bolters are just for fun, it's 1998 pts without them, so why not.

Psykers - I took advice from author of list I'm basing mine on, so they don't join any units and just stau solo. It's not very hard to keep a single model out of sight: buildings with windows (move - cast - run back in shooting phase), tanks themselves are big enough to hide them completely from most dangers. It's not only useful to cast Prescience, but if I roll 4+ invul spell then it's a blessing for Pask's unit (literaly and figuratively), since I only need to keep one tank from that unit in range to cast it. With 2 psykers chances to get it are pretty high.

Plasma range on tanks is good enough, they don't need to move far from deployment zone even if we get the short table sides deploy. But I yet have to face gunline or out-shooting me army, maybe then I'd need to move a lot. That also helps keeping psykers out of enemy's range and attention.

By the way, master of ordnance needs to stay still to fire it's famout pie plate, if I get it right? Or his chimera, anyway.

Inquisitors have a nice upgrade for up to three servo-skulls, they're only 3 pts each, and can deny scout/infiltrators, while also improving scatter accuracy. Sure they get destroyed if enemy gets within 6", but with some strategic placing they can more than serve right for their negligeble cost. I've been thinking for getting one inquis in that list just for this purpose, but that's too much points I have to get from somewhere (25 + 9). Your list already have one, so consider taking the skulls

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode