2k mechanized - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-15, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
That kit is probably one of the coolest kits GW has come out with IMHO. I've wanted them since first seeing them, but I tend to not buy models without having a place in a list for them. I've play-tested it using the models I used to play as Stormtroopers in the previous edition, but they haven't grabbed me. It's exceptionally rare for me to even think about the Elites section of the AM Codex. Were I to get them I would likely use the models to build up my Inquisitor's warband over using them as Scions, with the extra bits showing up for flavour in my Guard.
I've even thought about building whole veteran units with scion models, since they look cool and have carapace armor. But it's way too expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-15, 02:23 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tixed View Post
a place in a list for them.
I've played a fair bit with scions now and what I've found that they are good for are point assassination (Guard command squads, eldar farseers, lone power armoured marines and small hive nodes) and breaking up an enemy advance (teleporting into enemy rear and flanks to force a decision. My current 1500 point play list is:

Command squad with all advisors and four plasma (the relentless warlord trait, when I get it, is how I move and shoot the MoO)
Lord Commissar (in the command squad) with plasma pistol and power sword
Primaris Psyker (usually in the command squad) ML1

5 Scion command with 2 plasmas, vox, medkit
5 scions with vox, 2 volley guns
3 Bullgryns with slabshields

Veteran Squad with Grenadiers, Forward Scouts, 3 plasma guns
Veteran Squad with Grenadiers, FS, 3 Plasma guns

Vulture gunship with twin linked punisher cannons

Leman Russ Executioner with HB and plasma cannon sponsons

The list is thematic, temperamental and liable to extinguish itself with gets hot and perils, but when it works it is magnificent.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-15, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
I've played a fair bit with scions now and what I've found that they are good for are point assassination (Guard command squads, eldar farseers, lone power armoured marines and small hive nodes) and breaking up an enemy advance (teleporting into enemy rear and flanks to force a decision. My current 1500 point play list is:

Command squad with all advisors and four plasma (the relentless warlord trait, when I get it, is how I move and shoot the MoO)
Lord Commissar (in the command squad) with plasma pistol and power sword
Primaris Psyker (usually in the command squad) ML1

5 Scion command with 2 plasmas, vox, medkit
3 Bullgryns with slabshields

Veteran Squad with Grenadiers, Forward Scouts, 3 plasma guns
Veteran Squad with Grenadiers, FS, 3 Plasma guns

Vulture gunship with twin linked punisher cannons

Leman Russ Executioner with HB and plasma cannon sponsons

The list is thematic, temperamental and liable to extinguish itself with gets hot and perils, but when it works it is magnificent.
That's a lot of points in a single squad. No chimeras, even vets footslog? How do you manage to make them effective? With that many plasma and non-embarked command squad - maybe consider taking Kurov's Aquila for rerolling those 1s to hit and to wound: though expensive, it's gotta be very useful. Not sure how it works with transports though, do you just measure 6" from the hull, or this item doesn't work at all when command squad is embarked...

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-15, 09:18 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

No, no chimeras. These guys are ruins rats. Forgot to add that the command squad has camo cloaks. The premise of the army is that it hides in ruins for the first turn or two, taking opportunity shots or massing firepower at approaching enemy and scouts. Then the scions come down and break something valuable of the enemy's behind their advance. Once their advance is disrupted, the Vulture comes in and destroys a unit a turn, with help from the infantry. The tank (also camo kit) is to be big and scary and actually do a lot of the killing.

The falldown of the list is that it can't take on AV14, so land raiders spell bad news. Ignores cover weapons also cause me a massive headache.

Yes, the command squad is a big target, but it's shielded by bullgyns, hiding in ruins (so looking at a 2+ cover save now) and has flank support from the infantry squads. The Psyker is then dishing out divination to where-ever it needs to be whilst the tank tries to fry elite units from the enemy advance.

Sorry to hijack your thread!

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-15, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
No, no chimeras. These guys are ruins rats. Forgot to add that the command squad has camo cloaks. The premise of the army is that it hides in ruins for the first turn or two, taking opportunity shots or massing firepower at approaching enemy and scouts. Then the scions come down and break something valuable of the enemy's behind their advance. Once their advance is disrupted, the Vulture comes in and destroys a unit a turn, with help from the infantry. The tank (also camo kit) is to be big and scary and actually do a lot of the killing.

The falldown of the list is that it can't take on AV14, so land raiders spell bad news. Ignores cover weapons also cause me a massive headache.

Yes, the command squad is a big target, but it's shielded by bullgyns, hiding in ruins (so looking at a 2+ cover save now) and has flank support from the infantry squads. The Psyker is then dishing out divination to where-ever it needs to be whilst the tank tries to fry elite units from the enemy advance.

Sorry to hijack your thread!
No sweat Now I see, massed cover and ruins-camping. Maybe arm one unit of scions with meltas? Command squad can take FOUR. At least they'll be capable to take on AV14. Hull lascannon on executioner is pretty good too, for only 10 pts, and helps to put some wounds on any target, suitable for a plasma tank.

Last edited by Tixed; 04-05-15 at 09:45 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode