2k mechanized - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-15, 06:57 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tixed View Post
tanks themselves are big enough to hide them completely from most dangers
Just watch how close you get if you're up against someone with a lot of blast weapons. Being able to place the marker anywhere on the vehicle's hull with a large, or even sometimes small, template can lead to a lot of excess wounds out of LoS.

Quote:
By the way, master of ordnance needs to stay still to fire it's famout pie plate, if I get it right?
It's a shooting attack with type Ordnance isn't it? Pretty sure only tanks can move and fire Ordnance.

Quote:
Inquisitors have a nice upgrade for up to three servo-skulls
I know all about them Skulls, use 'em all the time. My other armies include Drop Pod oriented Blood Angels, Deathwing terminators, and Grey Knights and they're a great help with that much stuff Deep Striking.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-15, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Just watch how close you get if you're up against someone with a lot of blast weapons. Being able to place the marker anywhere on the vehicle's hull with a large, or even sometimes small, template can lead to a lot of excess wounds out of LoS.
Yup, need to watch out for that.

Quote:
It's a shooting attack with type Ordnance isn't it? Pretty sure only tanks can move and fire Ordnance.
Yeah, but he isn't the one actually firing... Thought probably it's a special case or something. Not that I have a lot of dependance on his shooting anyway

Quote:
I know all about them Skulls, use 'em all the time. My other armies include Drop Pod oriented Blood Angels, Deathwing terminators, and Grey Knights and they're a great help with that much stuff Deep Striking.
Great! Then let me use your experience for my benefit, hehe. My list have a LOT of blasts, but no deepstriking units. Is it a good idea to add inquisitor with skulls? They could be countered easily, and effective range for blast targets is not that good... What would you suggest?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-15, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ahh, by the way, just remembered one fun combo. Place inquisitor with psyocculum in command squad with master of ordnance. Enter BS 10 psyker sniping with large pie-plate. Lot of armies employ at least some form of psykers, and if I remember correctly, you don't even need to target psyker himself for this to work, only his unit.

Crazy, but fun.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-15, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but he isn't the one actually firing...
Well,

Quote:
Artillery Bombardment (Master of Ordnance only): The Master of Ordnance may
make a shooting attack
with the following profile:
Range - Infinite
S - 9
AP - 3
seems pretty clear to me that it's him that's making a shooting attack and thus the rules for Infantry firing Ordnance apply. Is there anything you've found that points to it being an independent attack?

Quote:
Is it a good idea to add inquisitor with skulls?
I use the Skulls to bring in Deep Striking units effectively, and as a side bonus I deny Infiltrators. In all the games I've used them I haven't even been able to capitalize on the Blast scatter effect.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-15, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well,
seems pretty clear to me that it's him that's making a shooting attack and thus the rules for Infantry firing Ordnance apply. Is there anything you've found that points to it being an independent attack?
Well, just for the heck of it... Let's discuss that

Paragraph about ordnance speaks about carrying ordnance weapon, firing ordnance weapon. And a shooting attack with a certain profile is not a weapon. MoO doesn't have ordnance weapon in his wargear list, only a special rule that makes him shoot with a certain attack profile. So he's not carrying one, and not firing one.

I know, I know, rules are not completely watertight and some terms are pretty vague. Like that issue with order of fire and ordnance. Not going to exploit that, just figuring out usual tabletop community ruling of cases like this.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-15, 01:32 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty over the nitty little rules discussions with people outside of my gaming group. Post that sucker up in the rules section of the forum if you really want to put it to the test.

As a tank-ification of my list idea on the last page and tailoring it a bit more to my tastes and model collection while still keeping a few of your ideas in:

40k Related Projects
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-15, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty over the nitty little rules discussions with people outside of my gaming group. Post that sucker up in the rules section of the forum if you really want to put it to the test.
Sure, maybe later I'd do that. I was working as a game designer for a few years, so getting into the thick of rules and game mechanics is kinda professional deformation

Quote:
As a tank-ification of my list idea on the last page and tailoring it a bit more to my tastes and model collection while still keeping a few of your ideas in:

Looking good! I'd recommend two things:

1. Add officer of the fleet to the command squad. You have a lot of stuff in reserve, so +1 to each roll for mere 20 pts is great and useful.

2. Not sure about volley guns... Placing tempestus in vendettas screams "mobility", but volley guns shoot much better while stationary, so it's somewhat self-defeating. I doubt little squads survive that long standing still to put them to a good use.

Also, no psykers? Not that they're needed that much, just curious.

Last edited by Tixed; 04-04-15 at 07:55 AM.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-15, 12:47 PM

Two transports with units in Reserve isn't enough for me to spend points on manipulation typically, if I've got 50%+ coming on by the dice without T1 hyjinks then I'll get something going on. Typically I don't use the MoO either, that was just something I figured I'd leave in from your list in the OP. You are right, 20 points for +1 to each roll is a steal.

I'm not sure about Volley Guns either, but they are there to be either a nuisance to a unit out in the open or late-game Objective grabbers. I much prefer to use Special Weapon Teams with Flamers for this role, but without an Infantry Platoon that just isn't the way it goes. I was also toying with the idea of putting the Inquisitor in with the MoO and using Acolytes with HSLs in the Vendettas, but it turns out the Acolytes aren't less expensive enough to accommodate for their BS3 over the Scion's BS4. Since once those models land they really aren't that mobile (I've been playing Blood Angels for years, 6" movement isn't much in the big picture) I figured having one guy that shot like two would be nice considering there's no worries from Get's Hot.

I tend to either go hard with Psykers or completely ignore them. Perfect example being that my last list had 7 Mastery Level points, this one none.

40k Related Projects
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-15, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Two transports with units in Reserve isn't enough for me to spend points on manipulation typically, if I've got 50%+ coming on by the dice without T1 hyjinks then I'll get something going on. Typically I don't use the MoO either, that was just something I figured I'd leave in from your list in the OP. You are right, 20 points for +1 to each roll is a steal.

I'm not sure about Volley Guns either, but they are there to be either a nuisance to a unit out in the open or late-game Objective grabbers. I much prefer to use Special Weapon Teams with Flamers for this role, but without an Infantry Platoon that just isn't the way it goes. I was also toying with the idea of putting the Inquisitor in with the MoO and using Acolytes with HSLs in the Vendettas, but it turns out the Acolytes aren't less expensive enough to accommodate for their BS3 over the Scion's BS4. Since once those models land they really aren't that mobile (I've been playing Blood Angels for years, 6" movement isn't much in the big picture) I figured having one guy that shot like two would be nice considering there's no worries from Get's Hot.

I tend to either go hard with Psykers or completely ignore them. Perfect example being that my last list had 7 Mastery Level points, this one none.
I see. I absolutely love tempest bros, with move through cover and deepstriking without any need for transport (though it synergizes with grav chutes well too), just can't figure a good place for them in my list... Anyway, plan on gettig 2-3 units of them - at least for the beret heads for the veterans. Russian special forces-style And leave tempest themselves with helmets on, it's a bit more fluffier. Lot of heads in 5-minis kit.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-15, 01:48 PM

That kit is probably one of the coolest kits GW has come out with IMHO. I've wanted them since first seeing them, but I tend to not buy models without having a place in a list for them. I've play-tested it using the models I used to play as Stormtroopers in the previous edition, but they haven't grabbed me. It's exceptionally rare for me to even think about the Elites section of the AM Codex. Were I to get them I would likely use the models to build up my Inquisitor's warband over using them as Scions, with the extra bits showing up for flavour in my Guard.

40k Related Projects

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode