Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

High elves 2400 pts competative

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Tim/Steve 
#1 ·
Special Notes - Hi, well I'm actually very new to warhammer in general but our small group of friends has decided on it, so I decided to take high elves. I'm going to start with two boxes of IoB then build my army from there... this is what it will be when it's finished. I'll be versing reasonably competative skaven and lizardmen, as even though my friends play for fun we play competatively too (although we dont plan to stack layers of cheese). Feedback is greatly appreciated as well as advice vs skaven (dual warp lightning cannons and stuff will be used). Also if theres anything illegal in here and there probalby is because i suck... point it out

General : Level 4 Arch mage w/ high magic- 300 points - Annulian crystal
Goes with Phoenix Guard

HEROES Noble- 170 points - Battle Standard Banner
Armour of Caledor
Reaver Bow
Goes with LSG

Lvl 1 Mage w/ lore of beasts, always take signature: 125 - Dispel scroll
Goes with LSG

Total- 595

CORE 50x Lothern Sea Guard w/ shields, first among equals (flame banner) and musician- 680 points

SPECIAL 5x Dragon Princes with musician and standard bearer: 180 points

30x Phoenix Guard with full command: 530 pts
skeinsilver on champ
Banner of sorcery on standard bearer

10x Swordmasters of hoeth (7 in 1 rank, 3 in 2nd) with champion- 162 pts

10x Swordmasters of hoeth (7 in 1 rank, 3 in 2nd) - 150 pts

Total: 1022

RARE

2x great eagles- 100 pts (IoB is great here as the gryphons are proxied in as eagles)

Army Total: 2397 pts

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi there

I really like the list the only change that I would make would be to drop the Dragon Princes as a 5 man cavalry unit at this points level is essentially very easy points.

I would use the points saved to bump up the numbers in both of the Swordmaster units you can afford to get two units of 16 deployed 8 wide and 2 deep they can pump out a lot of high strength (for elves) attacks and make a great flanking unit for your Phoenix and Seaguard centre.

I like Wildform as a spell plus S4 T4 Seaguard in horde formation is one dangerous unit although personally I would try and trim the numbers down so you are scraping the pure minimum % (so try and drop 80 points) up the wizard level to 2 and use the remaining 45 points to.... add magic items? maybe something on the Blademaster

#3 ·
The reason I go with 50 LSG is for maximum attacks due to all the rules, giving them 5 ranks of attacking, not to mention 35 shot with volley fire or all 50 if i swift reform

With removing the dragon princes Im thinking of using the points to upgrade the wizard to 2 and give him the 25pt guardian phoenix, then giving my arch mage the 45pt talisman of preservation (or whatever its called)... then using the rest on sword masters (perhaps giving the blademaster amulet of light or talisman of loec to make him a decent challenger)

#4 ·
Thats a good point on the LSG I keep forgetting those spear elves have bows, i think that those maic item options are deffinatley a good idea, although I would really consider the implications of the talisman of loec as you could lose your champ, i'd rather have the amulet of light

#5 ·
Talisman of loec is awesome, especially on a blademaster. It turns a regular little numpty into a killing powerhouse, especially useful if you are fighting someone where you wounldn't expect to kill them normally and they'll easily mush you if they attack (which against a SM is everyone). There is a way to make this options MUCH better... which I'll come to in just a sec.

Biggest problem with your army is the archmage... she's taken the wrong lore. High magic is fairly pathetic, especially coming from a Lv4. If you were after a specific spell then take a lv2 with a seerstaff... but I don't think any of them are really worth even that. The best 2 lores for HE are shadow and life. Shadow is generally pretty awesome but specifically for HE it can help by lowering the initiative of high initiative enemies so you reroll to hit or just casting Okkam's on a unit and boosting them from a measly S3 to a godly S8-9. An Okkam'd LSG unit will easily beat any unit in the game.
Life is fun because while you get the stupidly OTT dweller's below (god I hate that spell) you also get miscast protection and flesh to stone. The first will keep you aloive longer and stop you blowing up your units while the second removes your principle weakness. A T5 SM unit is a whole different kettle of fish to a T3 mushy unit of SM. But more importantly for an army that has multiple champions with magical equipment (and especially suicidal stuff like the talisman of loec) is that regrowth brings a few models back from the dead... starting with the champion. That means you can challenge and wail on an enemy character when they charge you, raise your champ again in your magic phase then do it all again in your combat phase. *Cue evil laugh*

Personally I never had much success from HE bows/longbows so I just used spearmen. At -4pts a model thats a wopping 200pts you would have to spend on other things which might actually do something worthwhile... hell I would prefer a unit of 50 spearmen with 2 RBT to 50 LSG, or if you do like the S3 shots then add a few extra points and take 2*10 archers alongside your spearmen. the greater range will help you hit more and you'll lose less when you take some wounds (not to mention still having shooting if your spearmen tarpit something/get tarpitted)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.