Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Eldar Players & Our Armies.

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jigplums 
#1 ·
Due to the new codex release, the sweet new FW Avatar model(don't own it yet though..) and the altering(in better ways) of most of the Aspects, I decided to bust out my Eldar from 2nd edition and early 3rd. I'm now noticing how terrible I was at painting and modelling alike early in my 40K career around a decade ago. The models are terribly paintied with enough glue on the joints to signify ultimate n00ber status. I've been clipping off and drilling to get things up to date with my veteran abilities, but still manage to get glue on me no matter the precautions.
Anyway, my major point was to give a little list of my army contents.

HQ
2 Farseers(w/ 3 warlocks)
Maugen Ra
Asurmen
Jain Zar
Baharroth
Karandras
Fuegan

Elite
21 Striking Scorpions w/ 1 exarch
15 Fire Dragons w/ 2 exarchs
26 Howling Banshees w/ 1 exarch
10 Wraithguard

Troop
15 Dire Avengers w/ 1 exarch
8 Rangers
29 Guardians w/ 4 heavy weapon platforms
3 Jetbikes

Fast Attack
7 Warp Spiders w/ 1 exarch
16 Swooping Hawks w/ 1 exarch

Heavy Support
2 Support Weapons (D-Cannons)
15 Dark Reapers w/ 3 exarchs
4 Wraithlords
4 War Walkers
1 Fire Prism

There it is. Thats the entirety of my Eldar. It's fairly obvious I played Biel-Tan. I never had Wave Serpents as the models are pretty new and I haven't use the army in forever and my falcons were all shape-changed during the VDR saga..
If you play Eldar, show off your army contents here. I'd like to see what everyone decided their army could use(or would want to).

Khaine

See less See more
#2 ·
15 dark reapers +3 exarchs
3 wraithlords[1 new 2 old coverted with brightlance/EML]
2 Fireprism
3 Falcons[lost one atm though ;)]
2 Vibro Cannons

Yriel
Eldrad
Farseer
2/3 warlocks[hard to say as i cut aload up for the jetbikes]
3 warlocks on jetbike
2 farseer on jetbike
Autarch on coldone[jetbike proxy]
Forgeworld Avatar
2 avatar[need stripping]
1 X each Phoenix Lord

8-12 jetbikes
18 Ranger/pathfinder [just sold 12 to cut down]
20 Firedragon + 2 exarchs [just sold 20 to cut down]
21 dire avangers 2 exarchs
30(ish) Guardians 5 grav platforms
4 Waveserpents[think i have a 5th lost somewhere with the falcon]
10 Banshees + exarch
8 Scorpians inc exarch [+ 5 ready for ebay atm]
10 swooping hawks + exarch
3 shinning spears
3 vypers
14-16 warpspiders +exarchs

Probably missing something but this i just off the top of my head

#3 ·
I havent played since 2nd edition and since sold off my entire collection back then.

Starting a little before the boxed army came out, my forces consist of...

HQ

Eldrad
1xFarseer w/3 warlocks
All Phoenix lords
Limited edition Autarch

ELITE

6xHowling Banshees w/Exarch
6xFire Dragon w/Exarch

TROOPS

10xDire Avengers w/Exarch
30xGuardians w/ 3xScatterlaser platform

FAST ATTACK

2xVyper w/Scatterlaser
9xSwooping Hawks w/Exarch

HEAVY SUPPORT

2xFalcon w/starcannon
5xDark Reaper w/Exarch
4xWarWalkers with all scatterlaser
2xWarWalkers with all starcannon
1xWraithlord with Brightlance/EML

TRANSPORT

1xWave Serpent with 3xturrets-Brightlance, Shuricannon, EML

#4 ·
HQ

3 Farseers
3 Warlocks
2 Autarchs
Karandras
Eldrad

Elites

8x old scorpions w/ 2 Exarchs
6x new scorpions w/ exarch

Troops

16 guardians
10 old dire avengers
20 new dire avengers
2 wave serpents
16-odd old rangers

Fast Attack

1 Vyper
9 Swooping Hawks w/ 2 exarchs
8 Warp Spiders w/ 2 exarchs

Heavy Support

2 Wraithlords (one new one old)
1 Falcon
5 Dark Reapers w/ Exarch

I feel like I'm missing something. It's pretty obvious with those 16 rangers that I once played Alaitoc. Now I have absolutely no use for them. Cool beans.

#5 ·
Maugan Ra
Yriel
Autarch
Farseer

6 Howling Banshees
6 Fire Dragons

1 Warlock
15 Guardians with Scatter Laser platform
30 Dire Avengers

20 Warp Spiders

1 Falcon
1 Wraithlord
5 Dark Reapers

I'm planning on getting some Wraithguard, more Guardians, some Rangers, and some Bikes eventually, but for now I'm happy with what i have.

#6 ·
I see the 20 spiders. I'm also a big fan of 'em, but I just wish warp spiders had 18" range guns. They are expensive to throw into the fray for a half-ass 12" inch shot with full armor saves.. I think all of their guns should be spinneret rifles. That would make them much more towards what they should be.

Khaine

#7 ·
That's not what they should be at all. Much like a spider, they're potent, fragile, and can't take on the really tough bugs. What they're supposed to do is warp in, pick of an entire squad of basic infantry and level it, then disappear. They aren't meant for MEQ-busting like Dark Reapers, and they aren't meant to be a front-line unit like Dire Avengers. They are the ultimate guerilla unit to use against low-save armies.

#8 ·
They work pretty well vs MEQ really with the high str meaning they are making alot of saves, they have changed a fair amount since 2nd edition though in which they were absolutely savage. But objectively they were probably too good back in the 2nd edition days.

The short range is ok but does make them suffer in escaltion games i think. The best use's for spiders is usually against vechiles and walkers, as they can easily get those side and rear shots and weigh of numbers means they ususally get a reasonable amount of hits, or vs low save armies they are deadly. Vs marines they work well for sniping. Position the unit well so they can only get 3/4 modesl and you should be able to get at those hidden fists, heavy weapons etc. The jump is the bit that needs to be careful as if you dont get out of harms way you can suffer. I play alot of escalation games so i can find they miss out on the targets that they should be going for as it takes them a good 2/3 turns to get there And ds-ing them has its risks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.