How do you prefer 40k?

• Sci Fi

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Space Fantasy

Votes: 44 51.2%

How do you like your Warhammer 40k?

2K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  Ijustmadethisup4 
#1 ·
Do you prefer Warhammer 40,000 as Sci Fi or as Space Fantasy?

#4 · (Edited)
There's very little science to the fiction :wink:, so I'm going with Fantasy too. Really they've created an awesome universe around the story rather than a story to fit into a universe, which to me changes it from Sci Fi to Futuristic Fantasy. If they need something to change in the universe to fit their story, then it will change - the physics and technology of the universe are not as important as how the characters and players interact with each other.

You could just as well fit the universe into a fantasy setting and come out with the same story (indeed, Warhammer fantasy really does parallel 40k), but it would lose some of it's individuality in doing so.

#7 ·
How do you like your Warhammer 40k?
With lots of blood to feed the hunger of the Gods. :laugh:

I agree with those who say that 40K is closer to a space fantasy than science fiction. Which is perfectly fine with me because I get to worship the Chaos Gods and fire off a few Demolisher Cannons, drop Dreadclaws with Dreadnoughts in them, teleport Terminators and do all kinds of wicked high-tech stuff in the meantime to purge the galaxy of the Emperor's filth. :p

#11 ·
Space Skaven would be badass. The sort-of-sci-fi setting would allow the rats to do even more crazy shit. I mean, think of a Warp Lightning Cannon, make it reeeaally big, then put it on a huge Titan-class... thing... that feels a bit like a Stompa except it looks like a huge horned rat on two legs (because the Skaven are way more crafty than Orks, they could make legs and not an oversized Ork in a skirt).

#12 ·
Scrambled with a side of toast :laugh:
I say space fantasy, too holy for sci-fi to start.
And I say no to Space-stunties. Us Tyranids done did eated them aaaaall up, yes sir we did. Yes siiiireee-bob, darn-tootin'. :laugh:

#19 ·
i do and yes space rats would be super kick ass but anything they could build which could achieve warp flight would also have they power to destroy the universe so....

plus they tyranids already got the crazy horde thing down to a t

#22 ·
True enough. What would 40k be without both?

#24 ·
space fantasy what other game does hordes of orks attack large fortresses usually underguarded but with really strong people who sometimes have the help of a dying elf like race while 2 short ratling type people take a powerful evil artefact and burn it before a large chaos like demon is reborn!

#25 ·
To be honest, both. I'm more on the Sci-Fi end of the scale though; Xenology is one of my favorite background pieces, and I like to know why something is the way it is. That having been said, there are many things in the 40k universe that you just to shrug at an roll the dice.

#28 ·
35 to 39? thats pretty close.

i just see it as action packed badassness. yeeeeeaah.

i put scifi though, just cuz i feel like fantasy would mean people go on adventures and like rpg type stuff. but they dont, massive armies just crash into each other and destroy entire planets. that seems more like sci fi to me than fantasy.

#30 · (Edited)
It is Sci Fi but with a fantacy style to it. I prefer it more when there is less with the Space Dwarfs sort of thing and I like the Orcs more when they fill that Mad Max role other then being mordor orcs. I admit space Skaven may be cool but I'd rather they brought in something new like with the Tau (even though I am not the biggest Tau fan, I'm just not that into anime).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.