Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Economical 2k Eldar starter suggestions?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  The Drop Zone 
#1 ·
My brother (my primary opponant right now) is growing disillusioned with his CSM and wants to go back to his first love (Eldar)

Unfortunately, all that remains is a falcon, a handful of guardians and a jetbike warlock.

I'm thinking of helping him buy into a new army, if for no other reason than to ensure I'll have someone to play against..but I;d like to be economical about this.

I know where to go (discount sites, ebay, etc) I just don;t knwo what to look for.

We usually play in the 2k neighborhood, he;s usually gonna be up against tau (hybrid, not too mech) and blood angels, probably doing a fair bit of cityfighting

I think the army box GW has is probably the most bang for the buck, but how much of it is stuff that he's going to want/need? I hear a lot of trash talk on the Guardians, and a single vyper doesn;t sound super useful. I' not averse to expanding on the set, but if it's cock full of useless, I might be better off just buying units on their own

Any advice is welcome

See less See more
#2 ·
People who diss guardians are fools.

However, a lone vyper is rather useless. In squads they are useful.

This is a good chunk of troops though. You get the neccesary guardians, good bit of DAs, a good amount of banshees and FDs. That platform will be useful in a guardian squad, and you have to have a wraithlord. The falcon is a must, and many love the new Autarch.

you also get the new Codex.

I would get it.

#3 ·
its hard to say mate without knowing exactly what type of army he want to go for. I know Ragnar burmane was not so impressed with the army deal, and feels it doesn't quite work together. guardians are still worthwhile in most armies, again it really depend on what kind of army he wants to go with. There aren't many eldar units now that don't have a use.

#4 ·
I hadn't played eldar since 2nd edition and all my models were long gone....

After picking up the phoenix lords on e-bay for super cheap, steadily building one unit of swooping hawks, and the forgeworld avatar (probably the best priced forge world item ever), I waited for the boxed set. Within a month I was playing competetive games at my local store with very little other purchases. I invested in two of the 3xWarWalker box sets and just last weekend won best general at a 24 player RTT. The warwalker 3x box sets are a good deal as well, pick them up while they are still availiable, about 3 weeks ago you could still pick them up from GW. The warstore and most other places you get them are all out.

....the army deal was my base for all of that, its actually a VERY good armydeal.

As far as a single vyper being useful or not, throw a scatterlaser on it and yes it is useful as long as you are VERY careful not to have it place itself in danger. Its actually better to hide it behind terrain if its in any amount of danger rather than sticking its nose out in front of some rapid firing bolters. If a single vyper survives to the last turn, its a great quadrant grabber.

I also have to bite my lip every time someone criticizes guardians. Anyone who thinks an 8pt model that is fearless (thanx to the avatar), fleet, and shoots at str4 twice at close range, simply isnt worth listening to as far as tactics and armybuilding go, much less arguing with. Some people will argue that the sky isnt blue. My guardians (of which I have 30 and am planning on running 60 total when my current army is completed) are some of the best rank and file troopers I've ever used. Hanging in close combat with 20 of them against 40 daemonettes total, 12 chaos space marines, and a siren prince and utimatly winning the close combat (with support of course). They are a fabulous base unit of troops to collect, they will NOT let you down. Just bring an Avatar. I'd pay 11 pts apeice for them if I had to. (12 pts and I'd just use the Avengers)

All that being said, the Warstore online is one of the better places to get GW stuff, you cant order online but you call them up and ask exactly what you need. 20% off is the going rate for stuff and you can get even more of a discount if you order in large amounts. Check them out for building an army.

#5 ·
Turs out my brother is a big Altioch fan, so he;s gonna want rangers and such. I'm sure the DAs will still be useful, but I dont see guardians avengers and rangers all sharing the troops spotlight

#6 ·
Alaitoc can be a very cool army if it's painted well and has a good ratio of rangers to other units. One of the locals here has an Alaitoc army, and it's almost entirely rangers. It's pathetically easy to beat. Basically, you want the ranger squads to replace Dire Avengers for your primary anti-infantry units, but you still have to be sure to include ample anti-armor and close combat elements.

#7 ·
For the money, go for whatever gives you the most points for the least money. Large squads of plastics or large metals. The bigger the amount of models and point value is going to be your best bet. Ulthwe is probably the cheapest, are guardians are the mainstay, with Iyanden right behind it. Yes, the metal models are crazy expensive, but they are also massive points, so you even out in that respect. Best way to start is gunning for goals. 1000pt army that can play any craftworld is where you should start. From there you can eventually progress larger into any craftworld depending on your financial situation.

Khaine

#8 ·
Well, right now Ive confinced him to go to B&C and get some advice on his chaos. In the meantime, I've got an idea for the eldar...

Two boxes of guardans, plus greenstuff for cloaks, plus coffee straws and more GS for gun mods, poof, 30 pathfinders. 700+ points for $70

Of course, that many pathfinders proibably isn;t the most tacticlaly sound option. That's a ton of points for T3 Sv5 squishies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.