Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

So, I have started 'rines.

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  the cabbage 
#1 ·
This will sound greedy I'm sure. :oops:

I started Space Marines (or am going to once i get a megaforce and other stuff) and am slightly dissappointed with their rules.

I love their wargear and their saves and tanks, but i think the traits are crap compared to what i expected. Also, I expected the psychic powers to be more uber.

Sigh. Just my greed showing. I have have to except their faults and pros just like any other army. :roll:

#2 ·
OMG you thought traits and psychic powers would be better. the psychic powers are awesome, and many actually think are overpowered[fear of darkness, fury of the ancients] and traits allow you to customise your army and manipulate the force org chart. For example having 6 devastator squads.... or droppodding in 6 dreds. Really they should just be used to flavour an army but i think most armies using traits go to extremes, and thats when things get harsh :)

#4 ·
check out Bolter & Chainsword sometime. Lots of veteran marine players eager to corrupt thre newbies.

In the meantime, there's a lot of uber to be had. Fury/Fear is a great combo for only 14 points, and the psychic hood the librarian gets for free is a fantastic way to piss off Eldar players.

The traits, I haven't played much with (I play Blood angels, we don;t get traits) but there are some good ones. See but not be seen is handy (infiltrating devastator squads, anyone?) and the drawbacks can be taken so that they hardly interfere at all with your playstyle. 'we stand alone' is a classic example (no allies? No problem). Want an apothecary in every squad? How about a terminator? Want to infiltrate all your troops, including dev squads? Two plasguns or meltas? No problem

#5 ·
To really feel the marine as your own, run through online lists of marine chapters and go from there, or just create your own. I created two of my own chapters with the Dawn of War marine colorset which I'd like to use in 40k, but I'd also like to have a Marines Exemplar or Mortificators army.

Hell, even a pre-heresy Death Guard or Luna Wolves would be a great marine army.

-Khaine-

#6 ·
I agree to some extent with your comments on traits.

I think they could have been more extreme both for good and bad. By this I mean give the ability to field six infiltrating devestator squads but seriously hamper their saving throw?

Don't take the specifics of the above just the idea. I just think their would have been opportunities for fluffy armies for fun games. I would ban them from tournaments however because the noise pollution from tourney obsessives would be extreme!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.