Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Eldar Codex thoughts/questions.

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  uberschveinen 
#1 ·
Just wondering what everyone thinks of the new eldar codex? I'm let down by some things, Sustained Assault being removed and lack of Craftworld Organization charts are two of many. There are also alot of nice additions, like the Autarch of course, the officializiation of a few other lesser-known craftworlds, the return of Altsanar, and the general lethality of Pheonix Lords, and more. Your thoughts?

Also, I have a question that is buggering the hell out of me. On page 8, there is that brilliant drawing of the Eldar host at war with marines. To my knowledge, there are two autarchs in portrait. One flying in the air with Swooping Hawk wings, and the other in the front next to the farseer, spearing a marine with some sort of two-handed power spear.
Is that an Autarch with the spear? I'd love to use said character as a model, but alas, autarchs can't take singing spears or any spear-like two-handed weapons. Closest I can get is dulling it to a power weapon and only calling it one-handed. Wondering if GW knew of that oddness in the portait/codex.

-Khaine-

#2 ·
Wrath of Khaine said:
Closest I can get is dulling it to a power weapon and only calling it one-handed. Wondering if GW knew of that oddness in the portait/codex.
Well, you must realize, not all fluff is exactly correlating with the actual game.

In fluff, Space Marines are nearly unstoppable forces capable of owning 12 armies at once.

In the game, although tough, they are surely not invicible.

#3 ·
Almost all the artwork in the codex is old stuff, and back then exarchs were purchased seperately from squads and were basically IC's There were no limits on mixing wargear, exarch powers and Aspect weapons so you could have an exarch with banshee mask, hawk wings, exectioner and combat drugs, etc.... or maugetar and hawk wings. Basically they were like we were told the autarch would be.

#4 ·
i wish the autarch was like that. he can only carry one one handed thing and a gun and the other stuff. i wish he could have like a power sword and a chainsword with mandiblasters, thatd be one solid HQ

#6 ·
well the autarch acn take maindiblasters which is pretty much a bonus anyway. I was disappointed with him overall but on jetbike he could be ok, and yriel is solid

#7 ·
I hate that wraithlords now have wraith sight. I hate that they took away my Iyanden force Org chart. I liked having Wraithlords as troops and then filling my heavy support slots with War Walkers. :wink:

#9 ·
Thank you for your insightful and valuable contribution to this community.

Khaine, I just don't see why you and other people don't like that the codex doesn't force you to do anything. You'll probably say that this lack of enforced structuring allows people to violate even the most integral of fluff, but in all reality, those people would do that under any codex, whether it be by igorance or a physical need for victory verging on an addiction. As for the Power Spear, t's just a fancy power weapon, like the few guys wielding two-handed power weapons on the Black Templars codex cover are using.

Pathwinder: The old Wraithlords and their unneccesary potency are gone. This is a good thing, as I'm sure anyone who went up against the six-three combination in Third who didn't expect it would attest to.

#10 ·
Six-Three? I'm assuming your talking about War Walkers/Wraithlords there... Anyhoo. I don't see what all the fuss is about with Wraithlords myself. I play Khorne mainly, but this extends to just about every army, and when I see somebody with three Wraithlords:
A) I know he's paid about 360 points for those nine wounds
B) He's easily taken down by S5 weaponry, provided you have enough of them. My Khorne army is all S5 or above (on the charge - gotta love Furious Charge).
C) And if you have no hope in h*** of taking them out, simply stick them in combat against a meat shield. I do that with my Guard. Try beating down 200 points worth of Conscripts (40 of them) in 6 turns :).

Anywho, just my thoughts on Wraithlords :).

#11 ·
Only problem is, your first solution requires a specific army. Very few armies have the ballistic potency to reliably take out 18 wounds at T8, and some can't even take them out at all. At the same time, you can't really hold them up, as six Wraithlords with flamers and Starcannon doesn't usually fit into the stoppable portion of an army list. Then, even if you can hold them all up, which is far from easy, you're not taking care of the objectives. And then, even if you can take them out, there's three War Walkers locked and loaded to take out anything that can hurt the Wraithlords. So, the game is decided by composition alone, and that's just not cool. This is why I think the nullification of such a list and giving Wraithlords Wraithsight to make them much less reliable en masse was precisely what was needed.

Oh, and I meant six Wraithlords and three War Walkers.

#12 ·
Well if someone has taken 6 wraithlords in either the old or new codex's they have cheated pure and simple. Uber i think this is one of those cases where you have listened to the moaning of other players rather than look at the rules yourself. Iyaden armies could take 1 wraithlord as troops PER unit of wraithguard taken, making 3 the maximium. And that was after taking 15 min wraithguard, probably the worst troop available due to the short range of the wraithcannon and slow movement of the guard themselves. Now there are very few armies that Can't deal with 3 wraithlords. In fact at last years gt heat i faced eldar 2 times they had 3 wraithlords each and an avatar each. In the first game i killed all 3 wraithlords in the first turn and in the 2nd game i killed all 3 wraithlords and the avatar on the first turn.

#13 ·
Actually, I have faced that six Wraithlord army. Three times, in fact. Also, I was, naturally, suspicious of an arrangement so potent, but the opponent showed me something, precisely what escaping me at the moment, that convinced me that the list was entirely legal, despite the fact tha I died pointlessly each time. I wouldn't have let it go if whatever it was I had seen wasn't very, very good, so I stand by my original statement regardless of factual status.

#14 ·
Well i have the craftworld eldar book in front of me right now. At the top of the Iyanden page it says " Wraithguard and wraithlords are troops. The army may not include more wraithlords than it has units of wraithguard"

Looks like you were had mate

So that said 3 is the maximium someone can have, which means they do not get the other hvy support options which in most cases are extremely viable. They are slow moving and the biggest weakness of all for them is that they do not start in escalation. This limits there uses to an eldar general who expects to play escalation as they are no longer able to reliably support a fast moving force. They work well protecting a gunline, and are still one of the best eldar tank popping options when given EML/Brightlance. You still need to be careful with them though and the biggest mistakes you often see are people leaving them either out of cover or in a position that leaves them with lots of los onto them

#17 ·
Yep, there is nothing (short of home brewed rule bollocks) that will officially allow to take 6 Wraithlords in one Force Org chart. He may have tried to blag you saying that Iyanden could take them as troops and heavies, or that Lords and Wraithguard count as troops and ommited the restriction there, but the fact remains that it was illegal, full stop.

You could take el cheapo Farseer, 3 Wraithlords, 3x5 Wraithguard and 3 Falcons, that could just be squeezed into 1500.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.