Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Cheesiest rule

4K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  uberschveinen 
#1 ·
What's the cheesiest rule in the game. It can be a specific model or unit rule. It can be a BGB rule. It can be any rule that exists for the game.

I vote for:
Vindicare assassin ability to single out any model he wants to that's in LOS...period.

Callidus assassin 'a word in your ear' is pretty nasty too.

#3 ·
I would say the ability of the IW to take 9 (!!) obliterators......that's 630 points of screaming death for anything.

#11 ·
Rending assault cannons and one of bigger ones is skimmers going more than 12" only able to receive glancing hits no matter what. That makes eldar vehicles so hard to destroy because first I need a glancing hit, followed by 2 6s. to blow it up. Or I can immobilize it and destroy it next turn. The tactic I've been using lately is to just shake them all and then shoot the troops.

#12 ·
Actually, they only have to move more than 6" for that to work :)

I dislike the Psychic Hood myself. Was the final nail in the coffin for my Thousand Sons.

#13 ·
The vindicare's ability is barely useful, I'm afraid.

He's got a less than 50/50 chance of actually inflicting a wound (50/50 if he hits, but he still has to not roll a 1 to hit, and I don;t think his gun has a very high AP)

Meanwhile, his weapon has no Str, so there's no chance of an instakill, ever. So against characters, he's at most an annoyance.

about the only thing he;s goodfor is taking out that pesky powerfist vet or exarch now and then, if you;re lucky. Or perhaps disrupting cohesion on a heavy weapon squad, forcing them to give up shots as they move back together.

Under ideal circumstances, if he always hits and nobody saves, he;s going to dish out about 3 wounds over 6 turns.

To that I say 'meh'

As for cheezy rules. Eldrad's redeploy rule is frustrating, but no more so than Runes of warding. Runes of Warding suck hard to come up against.

#14 ·
While rending is mean it depends on the situation, the assault cannon is broken but that is because it dishes out four shots! My vote for the most broken rule would have to be Siren, followed by Living Metal.

#15 ·
The webway portal which the dark eldar use, the DE vehicles are fast and well armed and to balance this they are fragile. Using the portal means they get to the fight without giving a chance to shoot.

I have no problem with good use of cover to achieve the same thing, good playing mate! But this free deployment with full move and assault is plain nasty!

#17 ·
the cabbage said:
The webway portal which the dark eldar use, the DE vehicles are fast and well armed and to balance this they are fragile. Using the portal means they get to the fight without giving a chance to shoot.

I have no problem with good use of cover to achieve the same thing, good playing mate! But this free deployment with full move and assault is plain nasty!
While nasty it sucks when you screw up portal placement, I tried a game using my dad's DE and botched the placement so all my raiders got shot to shit. :?

#19 ·
i find that most units claimed to be cheesy arn't. Assult cannons? How can you deliver one of these to battle? An 80 point speeder with laughable armor, adn 105 point dreadnought, or a rediculously expensive terminator squad! Speeders and dreads can easily be taken care of.

As for siren, that is nasty. But go and get your dice. Roll 6 dice a few times. You don't always get that 1/6 odds. If he dosen't get them , then thats a big chunkof points for not.

Its still nast thogh.

#21 ·
You can get multiple 1's. You just re-roll the ones that are doubles that aren't 1's. It's very possible not to get Siren. Most people who take a Siren make sure to take at least seven rolls on that table to be sure they get it. I love how psychic powers don't count against any limitations the model has...

I don't think it's cheesy per se, but it's just sort of stupid as far as the fluff and what it actually does. Most soldiers, even relatively untrained guardsmen, are going to know that their loved ones aren't going to be running towards them from the other end of a warzone, ESPECIALLY if they know they're fighting against a moral threat. It might make some hesitate, but it certainly wouldn't stop someone from shooting. Especially the likes of a Commissar, Space Marines, etc.

#22 ·
Yeah. THe drawback to an assault cannon is it's short range. It only has two feet. Lascannons have the benefit of added safety of long range. Or did we forget about range when it come's to a waepons usefulness?

#23 ·
id go for feel no pain, ive laid out some nice hits on a tau commander before and he's shrugged them off. might not be exactly cheesy, but its really annoying when my stabby sword wont kill him.

#24 ·
pathwinder14 said:
Yeah. THe drawback to an assault cannon is it's short range. It only has two feet. Lascannons have the benefit of added safety of long range. Or did we forget about range when it come's to a waepons usefulness?
Everything that uses an Assault Cannon can fire after moving, allowing them to hit things that were 30" away - difficult terrain tests aside. Also it's often the case that to hit something and because of terrain there isn't more than a 30" fire lane to the target. Also Terminator and Tornadoes can DS, and Dreadnoughts can appear by drop pod.

I'd say yes they still benefit from that extra range, but not majorly so.

#25 ·
The Son of Horus said:
You can get multiple 1's. You just re-roll the ones that are doubles that aren't 1's. It's very possible not to get Siren.
like my mate on tuesday taking a siren prince for the 1st time and rolling 4 1's!!! didn't get siren on his 7 dice at all and was gutted to say the least.

Then got pawned by the afor mentioned Asscannon - rending is such a desider with that one. A little luck and jesus those guns are evil. 2 Tornadoes basically won me Conflict Manchester 2 years back.

On these kind of rules notes, one i like but have often been accused of cheesey for is rhino hearding.

Bascially you use a tankshocking vehicle to hit along the flank of the enemy unit. Now they have to move out of the way but maintain coherency so end up squashing in amongst thier fellow squad members, all nice and clumped up ready for some template weapon action.

I used to do this all the time with my marines and thier twin-flamer rhino units - was devastating. Pretty much works with any other army.

Just one of those little things ppl never seem to realise, just like how i play assault.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.